Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Cheap Rem 700, upgrade the stock & bottom metal.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I like the Tikka T3x but not chambered in a short action cartridge, a .308 Win in a long action sort of defeats the purpose of the short handy .308 Win bolt action rifles I love...My first choice would be a Kimber Montana or Adirondack model with My second choice a Model 70 EW but they are a little heavier than my ideal as i am a "weight Nazi" when it comes to rifles....If I was to chose a push feed rifle I would look hard at a Bergara Premier Mountain 2.0, these use Remington 700 base with 8-40 screws which is a nice touch that gives you many mounting options....Good luck....Hb

It’s a half inch. *shrug*

Of length of action.
Travel is blocked so stroke is same as short action.
If seating length becomes an issue, travel is easily lengthed.
The rifles are already lighter than some short actions,
And stiff as heck.

The only drawback is literally 1/2" overall, and the idea that you can bitch about it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by JGray
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Well, I did....I decided I needed a .308 for a general use hunting rifle. A trip to Walmart yielded me a 700 ADL, a phone call to AG Composites got me a stock, Redhawk sent me some Grayboe Bottom metal, and a buddy had a brand new 10 twist Remington tube. A set of Talley LWs, and a placeholder scope until the LRTSi gets here Friday....

Its about perfect for what I want. All in, with a suppressor, I am right at 10lb. Light enough to carry all day, heavy enough to shoot. Just about exactly what I was after!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I really like that one - I'd say it's about perfect. I'd been contemplating a 308 for quite a while and yours is about what I was envisioning. Then a 'fire' member posted this for sale (his pic, not mine) - I couldn't resist and am pretty happy with it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am incredibly happy with it thus far. I snagged a 4.5-18 LRTSi that should be in today, and I think that will be a very good fit for this gun.

Last edited by liliysdad; 01/29/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I don’t have a 308. SometimesI think I should remedy that.

Fly weight- I’d get a Kimber Montana.
Mid weight- I’ve always kinda liked the LVSF. Maybe put it in aTi sock. I like the Tikka super lights too. You could get a chassis for either and have a tacticool rig as well as the hunting stocks to swap back into. Bergara makes a nice rifle.

Tons of good choices!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I like the Tikka T3x but not chambered in a short action cartridge, a .308 Win in a long action sort of defeats the purpose of the short handy .308 Win bolt action rifles I love...My first choice would be a Kimber Montana or Adirondack model with My second choice a Model 70 EW but they are a little heavier than my ideal as i am a "weight Nazi" when it comes to rifles....If I was to chose a push feed rifle I would look hard at a Bergara Premier Mountain 2.0, these use Remington 700 base with 8-40 screws which is a nice touch that gives you many mounting options....Good luck....Hb

Of length of action.
And stiff as heck.

The only drawback is literally 1/2" overall, and the idea that you can bitch about it.

I aint bitchin as I could care less, I am a CRF guy anyway...sounds like your the one thats "butt hurt" about it and tryin to justify a long action rifle chambered in a short action cartridge....😁....Hb

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ky221
I’m on the search for a new hunting rifle and the CRF 308 thread got me thinking that a 308 would do everything I need a deer and pig rifle to do. I’m just having a hard time making my mind up as to which rifle.

If you were wanting a .308 for still hunting whitetail, box blind pigs and banging steel at the range and not being limited to CRF; what would you choose? How would you scope it, and what bullet would you choose for the 3 tasks? I’m leaning towards a Tikka and 165NBTS

This: https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/steyr-scout

I got to shoot one a decade ago, and it still leave an impression on me. As far as ammo, a 150 gr. Sierra for deer and steel. I know nothing about hogs.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Remington 7600.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Of length of action.
And stiff as heck.

I aint bitchin as I could care less, I am a CRF guy anyway...sounds like your the one thats "butt hurt" about it and tryin to justify a long action rifle chambered in a short action cartridge....😁....Hb

I'll just rub the Prep-H on and heal. wink

I normally would agree, on actions that are heavier.
And don't offer the adaptability of an easily modified
slide stop, and a simple purchase of an (expensive, plastic) magazine.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have both a Tikka T3x and a Browning X-Bolt and I like the X-Bolt better. Great ergos, better feeling stock, flush fitting detachable mag and can be had in a real short action.
As far as the scope goes, a Leupold 2.5-8x36 would be a nice match.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
S
S
I rarely see anyone refer the X-Bolt, but I will. I've had one for about 10 years, composite stalker, the basic model. It is light, ergonomic and very handy. Because it is so light, it comes back pretty hard, much more than my brother's 700 in 270. I've shot a variety of rifles, no Dave Petzel I, but I've shot a few and I really like my X-bolt. Superb trigger and terrifically accurate. The drop magazine is done as well as any drop mag as I've experienced. The only improvement I'd make is make the finish less rough. Its a Matte finish but that makes it more sensitive to abrasion wear. And for deer, the 308 is a bit much. I wish it was a 260 or 7-08. I'm shooting 120-150 pound white tailed deer. I don't need a 150 grain bullet going almost 2900 fps. That's 270 energy that people kill elk with, not deer behind my brother's farm.
A 165 gr bullet would be nice to bore through the armoured shoulder of a big boar, though. I'd take my 308 X-bolt for that for sure.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd keep an on on GunList and buy a pre-64 mod 70 ftwt,,,,,

I tend to use more than enough gun
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I agree the X-bolt is a very good push feed rifle, I have owned Several of them and every one functioned flawlessly, I really like the tang safety and out of the box accuracy was second to none 👍.....Hb

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Were I to move to 308 I would hunt up an early Brno 601 with an integral peep sight, put a Leupold 2.5-8 and a non set trigger on it and never bother buying another hunting rifle.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I use to hunt with a guy that used a BLR in 308. If I was going 308 I would want one of those. I always liked the looks and handling. He had a B& L scope on his. I would opt for a trimmer scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Mid weight- I’ve always kinda liked the LVSF. Maybe put it in aTi sock.

Like this one in a mcm hunters edge?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Teeder; 01/30/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I.ve been very happy with my Stainless Ruger Hawkeye in .308 Win. As an extra bonus it's CRF.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Mid weight- I’ve always kinda liked the LVSF. Maybe put it in aTi sock.

Like this one in a mcm hunters edge?

[Linked Image]

Yes sir!

How does it shoot? Never heard much except praise for the lvsf.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by spence1875
Sauer 100, Mauser 18 or a Tikka.

Beat me to it.
I have both tikka and sauer and both are top notch.
Tikka is lighter, but the sauer holds 5 rounds vs 3 and has 3 position safety while tikka is 2

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
This would be it!

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...tom-classic-308-win.cfm?gun_id=101457804

Never seen a M22 Custom Classic under $2,400.

BTW, the day ain't over yet!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/30/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have and like my model 70 Featherweight. Chambered in 308 Win. The bullet I shoot in it the most is a 150 grain Combined Technologies. I push this bullet with Varget Powder and a Federal 210 primer. I have a 3.5 X 10 Leupold scope on Standard Talley mounts and rings.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,459
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.