Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
IF IT DON'T TRACK WHEN ITS STATIC MOUNTED IT SURE IS HELL AINT GOING TO FIX ITSELF WITH RIFLE RECOIL, this is a concept nearly everyone on this forum is dumbfounded over. recoil is not going to fix a [bleep] tracking scope. you do this type of testing when you first buy a scope, you can do it also later to check it. Yes recoil can and does cause issues with tracking. but you check this first to identify what problems there are BEFORE Wasting ammo.

On the other hand, some members on this forum are so "dumbfounded over" the expectation that the factory should have already determined whether or not the scope tracks while "static mounted" and then act accordingly ie fix it if there is problem before the scope ever leaves the factory. I guess that's too much to ask.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Interesting.

Maybe I missed it but looked like they didn't actually test the scopes mounted on rifles being shot during the test session. I'd think that would make a difference

That has nothing to do with tracking.

Depends on how you define "tracking". Typically when I talk about tracking, I'm talking about the mechanical function of the erector. This includes the ability of the scope to withstand recoil and still hold zero, repeat, and RTZ. If recoil causes erector shifts, then it'll be manifest in the scope's tracking when subjected to recoil. Of course, as you said if the scope doesn't track in a static scenario, it certainly won't get better when subjected to recoil.

But I agree that a scope should be able to track correctly in the simplest case (i.e., no recoil) before worrying about introducing recoil into the mix.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IF IT DON'T TRACK WHEN ITS STATIC MOUNTED IT SURE IS HELL AINT GOING TO FIX ITSELF WITH RIFLE RECOIL, this is a concept nearly everyone on this forum is dumbfounded over. recoil is not going to fix a [bleep] tracking scope. you do this type of testing when you first buy a scope, you can do it also later to check it. Yes recoil can and does cause issues with tracking. but you check this first to identify what problems there are BEFORE Wasting ammo.

On the other hand, some members on this forum are so "dumbfounded over" the expectation that the factory should have already determined whether or not the scope tracks while "static mounted" and then act accordingly ie fix it if there is problem before the scope ever leaves the factory. I guess that's too much to ask.

nightforce is the only company I know of that touts the testing you suggest. have you considered that the company selling the scope ALREADY KNOWS the scope doesn't track like it should? have you considered that few people would likely ever notice the difference? and that the company knows this and that the few people that figure it out will just get a refund or use customer service. I had 2 vortex viper pst 2's have the same exact tracking errors brand new off the shelf. The truth is many scopes don't track correctly from the factory. the company selling them often does not care. leupold is an example. they came on here and basically told campfire members that complained about tracking problems that we didn't know what we were talking about. several weeks back I posted a pic of the turret assembly breaking on my leupold and how it has only 2 very small dinky threads that hold it to the scope tube, these threads have to hold the entire click adjuster assembly to the scope body and hold back the spring pressure of the erector itself, AND lastly hold the seals down to maintain waterproof.

jordan dude sometimes your just full of it. everytime I posted about static testing, nearly everyone said it was an invalid form of testing because I wasn't shooting the scope. never mind that there is no way to figure the exact amount of tracking error shooting it, ( I can figure it within 1%) recoil and the way you hold the gun on the bench causes differences in point of impact, the accuracy of the rifle is another challenge. nightforce doesn't check their scopes for QC by "shooting" them. they test their scopes in a fixture. now that this type of testing is showing itself more into the mainstream, I am just pointing out I have been doing this for years and the rampant dumbassery around here can be cut with a knife. We have pack mentality and many here see one guy doing something different, ie actually figuring out how to make his own testing methods, instead of applauding them. the pack attacks and says shoot it instead, LOL

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Cumhole ur such a drama queen. You should open up a nail salon and not waste ur talents here.

Nobody cares about your stupid jig, or your opinion about what doesn’t or doesn’t work for hunting scopes.

A 22lr that’s even medium accurate will tell you everything needed to know about tracking accuracy.

any decent scope has a ruler inside of it. Use it to test tracking acvuracy. You got 42 mils of elevation in a 6x and 26 in a 3-9. 1% error will show itself. Real fast. If I can’t see it, not worried about mental masturbation. We’re not building a house with a micrometer either.

Would rather punch holes in cardboard then attach a scope to a pole at a children’s playground like a creap.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

jordan dude sometimes your just full of it. everytime I posted about static testing, nearly everyone said it was an invalid form of testing because I wasn't shooting the scope.....now that this type of testing is showing itself more into the mainstream, I am just pointing out I have been doing this for years and the rampant dumbassery around here can be cut with a knife. We have pack mentality and many here see one guy doing something different, ie actually figuring out how to make his own testing methods, instead of applauding them. the pack attacks and says shoot it instead, LOL

Hmmm, somebody’s full of it, but I don’t think it’s me.

Yes, some people did say you should shoot the rifle, and of course I agree with that (in addition to a static test), but the common theme of most replies was that your method of conducting a static test was questionable (which I also agree with).

I’ve also been testing scope tracking for many years by using a static method prior to live fire, yet my method hasn’t been criticized for two reasons: I don’t make claims about my method that are stronger than are reasonably defensible, and also because the method design itself is more reasonable. Your attitude and wild claims are what cause people to criticize you, not because there’s no merit in what you’re trying to do.

Don’t confuse the idea of several informed individuals noticing the same problem and coming to the same confusion, with pack mentality. The critical feedback you get isn’t unique to hunting/shooting enthusiasts. As a scientist, I can guarantee that if you presented your “experiment” to a groups of scientists, they would also overwhelmingly criticize your experimental design and methodology, as well as the claims and conclusions that you draw from the results. The problem isn’t group-think, it’s that your method has some weaknesses that you claim don’t exist. You can fool the fans, but you can’t fool the players.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

nightforce is the only company I know of that touts the testing you suggest. have you considered that the company selling the scope ALREADY KNOWS the scope doesn't track like it should? have you considered that few people would likely ever notice the difference? and that the company knows this and that the few people that figure it out will just get a refund or use customer service. I had 2 vortex viper pst 2's have the same exact tracking errors brand new off the shelf. The truth is many scopes don't track correctly from the factory. the company selling them often does not care. leupold is an example. they came on here and basically told campfire members that complained about tracking problems that we didn't know what we were talking about. several weeks back I posted a pic of the turret assembly breaking on my leupold and how it has only 2 very small dinky threads that hold it to the scope tube, these threads have to hold the entire click adjuster assembly to the scope body and hold back the spring pressure of the erector itself, AND lastly hold the seals down to maintain waterproof.

jordan dude sometimes your just full of it. everytime I posted about static testing, nearly everyone said it was an invalid form of testing because I wasn't shooting the scope. never mind that there is no way to figure the exact amount of tracking error shooting it, ( I can figure it within 1%) recoil and the way you hold the gun on the bench causes differences in point of impact, the accuracy of the rifle is another challenge. nightforce doesn't check their scopes for QC by "shooting" them. they test their scopes in a fixture. now that this type of testing is showing itself more into the mainstream, I am just pointing out I have been doing this for years and the rampant dumbassery around here can be cut with a knife. We have pack mentality and many here see one guy doing something different, ie actually figuring out how to make his own testing methods, instead of applauding them. the pack attacks and says shoot it instead, LOL

Thanks for proving my point.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Some folks sure do get a lot of ego and emotion wrapped up into a tool. It's a tool, it works or it doesn't and every one is an island unto itself. You can try to stack the odds in your favor, but, you can't account for human error or faulty materials. NASCAR motors blow up all the time despite the best mechanics using the best tools, tooling, and parts they can obtain at any price, sometimes stuff fails. I don't think I'll ever understand the emotion tied to tools?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
Cumhole ur such a drama queen. You should open up a nail salon and not waste ur talents here.

Nobody cares about your stupid jig, or your opinion about what doesn’t or doesn’t work for hunting scopes.

A 22lr that’s even medium accurate will tell you everything needed to know about tracking accuracy.

any decent scope has a ruler inside of it. Use it to test tracking acvuracy. You got 42 mils of elevation in a 6x and 26 in a 3-9. 1% error will show itself. Real fast. If I can’t see it, not worried about mental masturbation. We’re not building a house with a micrometer either.

Would rather punch holes in cardboard then attach a scope to a pole at a children’s playground like a creap.

Amen brother!

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Alraedy posted a few months back. Been doing the same testing for 4 years. Meanwhile the dip hits kept saying shoot it

I didn't see playground equipment or c-clamps...

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 65 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,413
Posts18,470,470
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.