J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I refuse to waste .22 shells on a little bird

A sign of the times!

I know a fella who eats those things.. Starlings. Breasts them out like a dove, wraps them in bacon and smokes them, or pounds them out, breads and deep fries them.

I have yet to try it, though I'm not one to turn up my nose to food. I reckon I'll give it a try some day.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A few years ago, I was standing by the kitchen sink looking down the driveway. There was a large flock of starlings flying straight toward the house about 4' off the ground. When they got to the house, the whole flock went straight up over the house but on the way up, they all dumped their loads. They splattered the whole front of the house with shyt. It was about 10F and it froze almost immediately. It was a month before it warmed up enough to hose it off. Starllings aren't my favorite bird.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Eugene Schieffelin (January 29, 1827 – August 15, 1906)[1] was an American amateur ornithologist who belonged to the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society and the New York Zoological Society. He was responsible for introducing the European starling (Sturnus vulgaris) to North America.[2]

Starling release
In 1890, he released 60 starlings into New York City’s Central Park.[9][10] He did the same with another 40 birds in 1891. Schieffelin wanted to introduce all the birds mentioned in the plays of William Shakespeare to North America.[2]

European starlings were not native to North America. Schieffelin imported the starlings from England. Scientists estimate that descendants from those two original released flocks now number at more than 200 million[12] residing in the United States.

The starlings' wildly successful spread has come at the expense of many native birds that compete with the starling for nest holes in trees.[13] The starlings have also had negative impact on the US economy and ecosystem.[14]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Probably the most worthless bird I can think of.

Terrorists.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The were introduced at the same time when the passenger pigeon was being wiped out. They filled an empty niche. We'd be better off with the pigeons.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first two casualties of the morning are now decoys.

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If every gun owner in the US would shoot 1 starling a day all winter long... it still wouldn't make much of a dent in the population.

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
They kept flying down my chimney for some reason. I made 1/2" hardware cloth flue covers to keep them out...

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

[Linked Image]

Gotta keep that in mind. Mine are so spooked by the door opening and now the window when I lift it to shoot thru a hole in the screen, a decoy might convince them to stay for a second or two longer.

I saw feathers fly on one yesterday. Won't bother me if he flew off wounded and a cat gets him.

I set that other one up on a pallet holding the compost pile. He gone now..

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

[Linked Image]

Gotta keep that in mind. Mine are so spooked by the door opening and now the window when I lift it to shoot thru a hole in the screen, a decoy might convince them to stay for a second or two longer.

I saw feathers fly on one yesterday. Won't bother me if he flew off wounded and a cat gets him.

I set that other one up on a pallet holding the compost pile. He gone now..

Interesting note: I left those two decoys overnight, because early morning is the best time to hunt Starlings around here, but the next morning they were gone!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot hundreds those things back when I lived in the suburbs we don't have them here in the mountains I used to go out on the deck with the R-1 Beeman pellet rifle and the cats would perk up and be ready to fetch they loved it when I started shooting Starlings

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by killerv
I've gotten in to purple martins and had most first successful season last year, hoping for a good one this year. I always have my eyes open for these things, they can wreck a pm colony.

I expect you already know about starling-resistant entry holes

https://www.purplemartin.org/purple-martins/competitors/64/non-native/

The half-moon crescents block starlings most all of the time. Sparrows can be trapped out using a house opening or gourd with a entrance shimmed down too small to let a Martin in. Starlings are the same size as martins but they can be trapped with nest box traps set against a wall, martins usually won’t enter cavities without 360 deg clear vision all around.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Little parasites get in to the secondary chicken Gulag to eat her food. Not only that, they try to take over the bluebird boxes too. I'm on a mission this year to get as many as I can.

25 long paces from the back door to where this on was perched. I have to open the door in stealth mode, slide the pellet rifle barrel out, and shoot from inside. Bugs the crap out of the wife sitting on the couch with a dog on her lap, while watching her shows. But I told her, I want as many dead this year as I can get. When it warms up I can sit out on the back deck and shoot them.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

kinda like Magpies in Utah-------

I M2 every one I can

nest robbin' SOB's

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
#WWJD
#hewouldkillthefuggingthingstoo

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
What Would Jesus Do

He would kill them too. Y'all boys kill me.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50
#WWJD
#hewouldkillthefuggingthingstoo

Originally Posted by simonkenton7
What Would Jesus Do

He would kill them too. Y'all boys kill me.

Let not the little starlings be a plague upon the land. Do thine best to annihilate them in their comings and goings. renegade50 5:16

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Taking a play from the 'snipers' handbook. Cover and concealment. And one of you fellows (Orange Okie?) mentioned using the window?

Had to get some old sheets to keep the cold air out, only 23F when I started:

All they see before lead flies:

One more down, serving as a decoy. Pretty tough assignment here. Lots of civilian activity in the environment, juncos and my big ol' hen, but as rene says, it's a religious requirement to repel invaders.

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Allowing the barrel to protrude from the windows gives away your position.

I don't know if starlings can figure that out, but they might.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Valsdad: When you are done at your place come on over to mine.
I have about worn out my pump up pellet gun!
Keep up the good work.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,514
Posts18,472,404
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.