Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
Piggy backing the OP, this rifle sold at auction over the weekend.
The maker's story is an interesting read. Different day and time...
John Meunier

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thanks, Rick. Interesting read and great photos in the article. How much did that Meunier rifle fetch at auction?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Some of the best reading in the old Gun Digests were the semi frictional stories about Pope. Forgot the author's name. Gary, I believe you acquired one of the ultimate desirable rifles. Congrats!

Old guy, old guns.
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Are you referring to the J.M.Pyne stories by Lucian Cary? If memory serves, I think all those stories originally appeared in The Saturday Evening Post during the 30's-40's. I have the entire collection of those stories, in a book edited by Guy Lautard. Great stories. I've read and re-read all of them many times. That book is out there on the used market but getting kind of pricey.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Thanks, Rick. Interesting read and great photos in the article. How much did that Meunier rifle fetch at auction?

meunier

"Every day above ground is a good day."
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Are you referring to the J.M.Pyne stories by Lucian Cary? If memory serves, I think all those stories originally appeared in The Saturday Evening Post during the 30's-40's. I have the entire collection of those stories, in a book edited by Guy Lautard. Great stories. I've read and re-read all of them many times. That book is out there on the used market but getting kind of pricey.

Yes, those are the stories, thanks! Probably some of the best gun writing and content ever done. Can't wait to read your test fire report.

Old guy, old guns.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That which drove me to slow down acquiring other things of late. Fulfillment of a 50 year old dream. An 1885 Winchester High Wall, barreled by the old master, Harry M. Pope. .32-40 with a pristine bore, which is about as nice as when Harry created it in 1896. Good provenance (I'm the 6th owner), not faked, but it was refinished. (Which is why I got it for about 1/2 of what it would have cost otherwise.) Original Popes from his Hartford years often fetch enough to buy a two year old F-150, which is to say this is the only way I could ever afford one without selling a bunch of nice guns.

It's a heavy beast - just shy of 14 pounds.

#5 weight 30" octagon barrel, Pope tang sight, false muzzle (but no short starter, I'll have to make one), and no ramrod. Why you may ask would I need muzzle loading gear if it's a .32-40 breech loader? Because the gun was designed as a muzzle-breech loader- bullet inserted into the muzzle and pushed down the bore into the throat, charged case inserted behind it, the whole process intended to attain the maximum accuracy possible. The gun can also be loaded via breech seating the bullet ahead of a charged case, or by simply using fixed ammunition. Accuracy with fixed ammunition was typically about 2/3 as good as what could be done by muzzle loading or breech seating. Pope's rifles set 200 yard records that stood for many decades.

There is written record, in his handwriting, describing his use of this very rifle in a Hartford rifle match, July 1, 1896. It is the 53rd rifle Pope built. (He only managed 237 out of 250 points, at 200 yards offhand, on the German Ring Target which consisted of a 6" bullseye with a 1" center ring that scored 25 points. He wrote that he had forgotten to bring the rod needed to adjust the elevation wheels on the sight, so all of his shots hit a bit low.)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm over the top. I felt like the kid in A Christmas Story unwrapping his BB gun when I opened the big brown box.

Still pretty sexy for a 125-year old girl!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 204guy, 65 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,600
Posts18,492,235
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.