Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
So I had a nice Pre-64 action rifle with a new Douglas barrel fall into my possession. Beautifully stocked, nice blued metal work etc. The barrel is stamped for a 30/06. Upon trying to load with dummy rounds (yes from the magazine) I found that the bolt was not picking up the cartridges. So when I carefully from the bottom slid a cartridge into the bolt face and chambered it worked. So I knew it was at least a 30/06. However, because the bolt would not withdraw all the way back, the cartridge would not eject properly and would hang up. So I pull the bolt and realize what I likely have is a short action that had a long action barrel installed. So I'm dealing with a gas block extension that won't allow the bolt to be pulled back far enough to eject the cartridge. It will eject an empty case. So can this extended gas block that also functions with the bolt stop be replaced? I think it is brazed onto the collar or maybe the bolt body. Is there a simple fix like replacing that component? I hope I don't have to go with a whole new bolt. Maybe a new collar but then I don't know what is used to contact the bolt stop. Odd that someone didn't catch that but the original owner passed away. It's possible he never knew there was an issue as he had quite a collection, and/or he didn't know what the issue is. Any guidance is appreciated on how to fix this issue. Otherwise the firearm is great....sure would be nice if it were functional.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Replace the extractor collar with a standard one. It may also be necessary to replace the ejector but I can't see it so I can't be sure what has been done. I assume the mag box has already been changed. GD

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Should just have to replace the extractor ring with a standard one. The bolt stop will then contact the bolt lug. BTW, the action is the same length, just the bolt stroke altered by the block on the extractor ring. You can buy them here and other online dealers. It may be possible your short cartridge ring could be traded in on the one you need?

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by greydog
Replace the extractor collar with a standard one. It may also be necessary to replace the ejector but I can't see it so I can't be sure what has been done. I assume the mag box has already been changed. GD

Yep

No hill for a climber, a DIY project.

Swapping bolt block and ejector parts with a dealer probably not a bad idea.

I swapped a SA .243 Pre-64 to LA. Be sure the mag box doesn’t have the SA block. If it does, not hard to knock it out. If so, you’ll need a LA follower. Not sure about the spring, don’t remember.

DF

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks to all! I can fit 30/06 cartridges in the magazine and there doesn't appear to be a block. Now the follower spring - that's a good question. I won't know until I can pull that bolt back all the way. this really helps...thanks guys!

Smitty

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Oh, and will I need to order a standard gas block then?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Bolt stop and ejector for LA. Not sure about “gas block”.

DF

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
There is no gas block although, if you use a new extractor collar, you can retro-fit the new gas block. I will be necessary to shorten the boltstop somewhat. GD

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think some pictures are in order for you to get the advice you need. We need to see:
1. The Follower
2. The bolt face with the bolt retracted as far to the rear in the action as you can.
3. The bolt out of the gun, specifically the extractor collar with extension brazed on.

Short action parts bring much more money than 30-06 length parts. Depending on your pics I'll tell you what you need. You may possibly only need the more common bare collar. The bolt may have got switched up with a 243 or something.
or perhaps they barreled that 30-06 Douglas barrel to a previous short action receiver, i.e. 308, 243, 257 Roberts, 220 Swift etc. Pics will tell the tale.

The newer Classics have a gas block in the same are as the pre 64's extractor collar. Terminology.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I've pretty much concluded this is a short action that the previous owner had a 30/06 barrel screwed on. So now the issue is with the bolt and extractor collar.
So the bolt comparison picture is the pre-64 with the extended bolt stop compared to a USA BACO CRF. The bolt comparison pic from another website shows a 300 H&H Mag bolt, 270 bolt, and a short action 243 bolt respectively from left to right (essentially what I have). The bolt channel pics show the bolt pulled back as far as it can go....which is about a half inch short.

Attached Images
bolt comparison from other website c.JPG (17.89 KB, 143 downloads)
bolt comparison c.jpg (22.04 KB, 149 downloads)
bolt channel and follower c.jpg (14.47 KB, 151 downloads)
bolt channel3 c.jpg (16.32 KB, 147 downloads)
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OK the pictures aren't the best. It looks like a 30-06 length follower, so it and the mag box are correct. It looks like the fixed Ejector is protruding very far in front of the bolt face. So you are going to need a standard length collar (it most likely will require fitting. You will need a 30-06, 270, 300 H&H, 375 H&H ejector. I wouldn't just cut that extension off as that short action collar is worth a heck of a lot more than a standard one. The ejectors are not very expensive either way, but pair it with the short action bolt stop when you sell or trade.

It would be helpful to have a clear pic of the bolt face while fully retracted to confirm what I think I see.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks again for all of the input. Hopefully this picture will help. So what you're saying is I may need to replace the fixed extractor as well as the collar?

Attached Images
boltface c.jpg (20.32 KB, 122 downloads)
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is a good pic. You will need an Extractor Collar and an Ejector for full length, i.e. 30-06, 270, 300 H&H, 375 H&H etc. Your Extractor itself is fine. Terminology!

Also once you get it apart you might want to post a side view of the magazine box. It just might be something rare /valuable that they removed the partitions from. Or they may have put a regular 30-06 box in it with the 30-06 follower.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Yes, thanks for the correction, I meant ejector. I'll check out Midwest Gunworks or the link tmitch provided. I'm not sure I'll be able to do this myself..... don't do fitting. I'll look around and see if I can't purchase these parts.

Thanks again!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
https://pre64win.com/

Good source of parts and info.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm selling a few pre 64 parts. Maybe something you are looking for. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-model-70-parts-and-barrels#Post15722253

I've also bought part from pre64win.com. He's a good guy to deal with.
Phil

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Any incentive to retrofit pre-64’s with a classic series gas block? Doesn’t look like it would be that hard to do. Wondering if it would be worth the trouble.

DF

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I did on my own. If nothing else, it prevents battering of the locking lug by the bolt stop. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by greydog
I did on my own. If nothing else, it prevents battering of the locking lug by the bolt stop. GD

Mind telling us how that could be when the bolt is closed and gun is fired, it ain't in contact with the lugs

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
OK, Jim.
Imagine, you have fired a shot. Now imagine, you want to fire another one very quickly. You lift the bolt and pull it back, hard and fast. The rearward motion of the bolt is stopped when the LOCKING LUG hits the BOLT STOP. Get it? Look at the left hand lug on a rifle which has been used in a lot of rapid fire practice sometime. The gas block covers the entire rear surface of the lug and the bolt stop only contacts the block. GD

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (10gaugemag, 338reddog, BABore, AdamT204, 9 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 665 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,956
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.