Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Unfortunately, a very good friend passed away. 40 plus years of 4 packs a day finally caught up with him. That being said... I purchased this rifle brand new when they came out, 1988 I believe, and hunted/shot it very little. My friend talked me out of it for an elk hunt that never happened for him and it saw even more limited use by him, couple range sessions. His widow has asked me to help with the sale of his collection and really not trying to get in the gunbroker frenzy here. But it is what it is... an excellent as new condition Remington 700 Classic in 35 Whelen with a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5 scope in Leupold mounts. There is factory ammo and a bunch of reloading stuff, but would like to stick with the rifle/scope combo itself for now. Really don't want to start/continue any gunbroker debates, just trying to establish a fair value for my friend's widow and having a challenge finding comps. Looking forward to an intelligent, knowledgeable discussion. Thanks, Dean.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 02/02/21.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
HR IC

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Anything Remington is going for bigger than normal money since the recent bankruptcy. It is usually easier to sell rifles without the scope and then sell the scope separately. Not a lot of 35W around for sale right now so that drives the price a bit higher. I'm no expert, but I'm sure others will chime in. Normally rifle only would go for about $1K give or take a little. Condition matters. Now you could probably get $1500+ maybe even $2K or more in a bidding war at GB auction.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d agree with the above. They’re fairly sought after rifles. It’ll easily gather a 1000 and probably could be worth up to 1500 depending on what someone wants to give for the package.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Larger bore in Remington means more desirable (bigger hole in barrel blank means lighter rifle with better handling). Just like with old Ruger 77 in 35 Whelen being great and 7mag sucked. Back to topic. Rifle $1100, Scope/base/rings/covers about $225, each full box of ammo about $50.

Last edited by Slavek; 02/02/21.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yep, it wouldn't surprise me if got $1,200-1500 on GB. I would definitely be interested in it at pre-panic prices but GB is the way to go if you want maximum return.

Last edited by TxHunter80; 02/02/21.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I forgot to mention the .35 Whelen is probably the best all around cartridge for larger American game for someone who wants something powerful/efficient w/o being kicked to death.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Saw some 35 Whelan factory RP ammo was $59 a box the other day .the scope 250-300 and rifle 1000-1100 range definitely take gunbroker to get it though.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Back when I originally bought this, I was a good enough customer at the LGS that I had the "privilage" to go through the ones he had to cherry pick the nicest one. When that store finally closed their doors, I couldn't believe how much more money I had in my pocket! Lol! I purchased this when I was really into moose hunting, dropped off in the middle of nowhere Canada for 2 weeks with only what was on my back and my guide. But then I drank the 338 Win Mag kool-aid and this just sat in the safe until my buddy bought it off of me. Also, always thought it was just too much for Wisconsin Whitetail and am still in love with my 308 Norma Mag for the elk hunting I did. Anyway... back to the rifle!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Sorry ti hear about your loss. Just some pricing info based on my recent purchase of a 35. I picked up a custom 35 Whelen built on a M1903A3 action this summer. While it had been used, it had not been used very much. It was built with first quality components. It came with reloading dies (including a neck sizer, etc.), some ammo and some brass. The scope was junk and I left it at the LGS. I happened to have an older Leupold VX3 available from when I upgraded my scope on another rifle. My out the door price was about $700. So with scope that would be about $1000 into it. Since gun sales have gotten crazier, I can see it going for a bit more than that.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Slavek
I forgot to mention the .35 Whelen is probably the best all around cartridge for larger American game for someone who wants something powerful/efficient w/o being kicked to death.

You don’t even live in America . I bet you have not hunted here either .

I think the rifle scope combo is $1500 easy

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B3

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I see you have the old Brownell plastic case also. Many a gun ruined by those sweat boxes. If you still have the original box , it would add to the value. I’d speculate that it would bring $1200-1500 on GB. Set a $950 reserve.

Btw, I gave $389 for mine like new, sights missing w/ scope mounts in 1989. I think the guy who traded it in couldn’t hack the recoil. I traded in a pos M70 synthetic .338 Win Mag and was never happier with a trade.

Last edited by WAM; 02/02/21.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Yeah, nothing gets "stored" in any case, worse thing you could do! Unfortunately, looked around for the box, no luck, he must have gotten rid of it.

NRA life member

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by Slavek

You don’t even live in America . I bet you have not hunted here either .

I think the rifle scope combo is $1500 easy

This. Damn nice rifle there👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
1200.00. Maybe more

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I missed one that sold in the classifieds here a couple of months ago and IF I remember correctly it was in the $800 range. It sold very quickly. With the new developments with Remington going out of business and the shortages of everything gun related I can see this at $1500+/-

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
In these crazy times, 1500+ is possible on gun broker if the rifle is in good condition. FWIW, I looked for this very rifle for several years but couldn’t find one at a price point I could rationalize. I ultimately picked up a NIB 7600 in 35 Whelen 2 years ago for 900.... I’d been looking for one for a long time and reluctantly paid a couple hundred more than I thought it was worth. It’s a lot of gun for close range whitetails (225g GameKings at 2725fps), but it’s what I wanted, and it’s a thumper at woods ranges.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Wow. Nice rifle.

I’m interested in the ammo and reloading supplies when you’re ready.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
depending on the quantity of reloading components, you can put the package on on GB for 2000 and wait.... if it doesnt, sell you can always reduce or for a quicker sale, post it here (at a reduced price) wink

or you can just keep it & hunt it to remember fond times with your pal.

You cant put a dollar value on that.

burt2506

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
At that level of price, I ought to sell mine. Somehow I don't think so. I do remember when I bought it though. I was at a gun show and saw it on a table. A guy was holding it and dickering the price down. I asked to look at it and the guy very reluctantly let me see the rifle. I asked the guy selling it what he was asking for it. $500. I thought it was about $50 too high but watching the other guy trying to knock the price down and the seller not budging on bit I told him I'd take it. The guy trying to talk it down made a pretty nasty comment so I said back, "If you'd really wanted it that bad, you'd have paid the price and walked away with a grin. You didn't, you lost." Never regretted buying that rifle.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DeanAnderson: Over the years I have been along on Elk Hunts where 3 different friends of mine have kill't large Bull Elk with their 35 Whelen Rifles.
All three were one shot kills!
Two of those 35 Whelens were Remington 700 Classics and the third was a custom Rifle.
I am going to sidle away from posting my thoughts on the value of that set-up for now but am posting to urge you in the strongest way to BUY that Rifle!
Do NOT let it get away from you.
And this, I have several of that vintage Browning Rifle cases and they are among my favorites for protecting Rifles especially when travelling.
If you want to sell that case please let me know.
Best of luck in your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,794
Posts18,496,193
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.