Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
MD or anyone, i have a few partial boxes of Remington bronze points in both 277 caliber and 30. Have heard different opinions on these for years,both good and bad. Have never killed anything myself with them, your thoughts ?

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My experience with them has me thinking they somehow contain mini grenades in them. Very explosive.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
When they first came out I thought they were very handsome in appearance, performance not so much...

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
From their inception up until he switched to 300 Weatherby(about 1982-3), my step father killed a lot of elk with factory rem. bronze points in his .270 win. As stated earlier they would cause a lot of internal damage by fragmenting inside the body. He generally went for shots behind the (front!?) shoulder zone missing heavy bone as much as possible.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I killed my first elk with them back in 1966 using a .308. I think they were 165 gr or 180 gr .They worked then and I am sure they work now.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington designed and marketed them for long range hunting where the velocity had dropped off quite a bit. "Long range" in those days meaning 300- 400 yards or bit more. IIRC their ads showed people sheep hunting in the mountains and maybe some other places where longer shots were taken.

They were made to provide good expansion at reduced impact velocities where more stoutly constructed cup and core bullets sometimes did not open well, so naturally folks started using them for all of their hunting and complained that they flew apart at closer range shots.

I bought a bunch of .308 165 grain BP's from a poster here a while ago to use as range ammo and they were decently accurate.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used them fifty years ago in my old 270 Husqvarna for sheep hunting. They were very accurate, and dropped sheep right where they stood, every time.

Never tired them on big game at all,
Ted

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the 80s I got a couple boxes of 150 grain bronze points cheap at a gun show. I loaded them in a .300 Savage at about 2550 fps, probably a little slow for this bullet. The only game I shot was a trotting mule deer doe at about 80 yards. I held about even with her nose and shot, and she took off around a hill. I thought I'd missed her, but went to check just in case. There was blood in the snow every 20 feet or so, and I followed the blood for about 100 yards and there she was, dead, with a .30 caliber hole in and a .30 caliber hole out, her throat. I'd hit her in the neck and severed the jugular, but that bullet hadn't opened up. Still, good venison with no meat ruined. After that, unsure of their performance on deer, I used the rest up on a lot of targets and one coyote.. bullet didn't open up much either, if at all, but it sure killed him with a shot through the lungs at about 150 yards. There was snow that day too, or I wouldn't have found him, as he ran quite a ways too. I suspect I was using a bullet meant for a little more velocity than I was getting from a .300 Savage.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shot 1 whitetail doe with them out of an '06 in 1992. 150 grain I believe. 300 or so yards.

Hit her back a ways just under the spine. caught the artery just under the spine and she died within 100 yards.

Really can't give you any other details other than she died.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I bought some 180 Bronze Points years ago when they were available as components. They may be a great hunting bullet, but I was never able to get better than mediocre accuracy with them in a .300 H&H Model 70.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ran into more than one native in Alaska, in town from the village on the scout for some. To a man they all wanted them for the same reason, “The gold tips are bone breakers, good for moose”.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
When I inherited my grandfather's sporterized Enfield in .270 he had two boxes of 130 grain bronze points. I shot 20 plus animals with them with never more than one shot each and short ample blood trails on any that did not drop right there. They did leave some large exit holes. They worked great on whitetails, hogs, and feral goats. Did not shoot anything bigger with them.

Last edited by Mohawk; 02/02/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a few years back.....today I'd far prefer a swift A-Frame or a Nosler partition or a TTSX

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Often, they explode on the surface.

Ask yourself, "why did they quit making them?"

Bronze points are not shoulder shot bullets....not by a long shot.....

I had to super glue more than a few of the bronze points back in the bullet.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've killed 2 whitetails using 180's out of a 300 H&H at 300 fps.
The first was a walking buck about 200 yards- hit between the last two ribs. Bullet fragmented and pieces hit one of his hind feet as he limped off and expired. Made a mess of everything.
The second was a buck about 150 yds hit behind the shoulder. Immediate spray of blood and steam on the off side and fell over dead. Exit hole about the size of a tennis ball.
Probably pushed them too fast i guess.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience they expanded erratically, sometimes coming apart in impact (especially when hitting bones) and sometimes exiting on broadside rib shots--similar to some Winchester Silvertips, or early plastic-tipped bullets.

And there was not reason they wouldn't. The jackets were pretty thin.

One of the most amusing "reviews" of the Bronze Point I ever heard was from an eastern Montana rancher in the late 1960s. He claimed they were designed for shooting bears, apparently because of the hard tip. He had never shot a bear, or seen anybody shoot one.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm guessing that the two shots on animals with bronze points I made 40 years ago just didn't hit anything substantial enough to open the bullet.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In my experience they expanded erratically, sometimes coming apart in impact (especially when hitting bones) and sometimes exiting on broadside rib shots--similar to some Winchester Silvertips, or early plastic-tipped bullets.

One of the most amusing "reviews" of the Bronze Point I ever heard was from an eastern Montana rancher in the late 1960s. He claimed they were designed for shooting bears, apparently because of the hard tip. He had never shot a bear, or seen anybody shoot one.

That’s interesting John.

In the book “Alaska’s Wolf Man”, Frank Glaser used the bronze points on an interior grizzly and ended up with quite a rodeo on his hands. He ended up finally killing the bear quite a few shots later, but swore to never use those bullets again.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

That’s interesting John.

In the book “Alaska’s Wolf Man”, Frank Glaser used the bronze points on an interior grizzly and ended up with quite a rodeo on his hands. He ended up finally killing the bear quite a few shots later, but swore to never use those bullets again.

I have that book

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fortunate or not, I dunno.

Way back I was impressed with the looks and aero of the BP bullets. I bought 'some', don't remember how many, in
270 - 130gr. Before hunting them I was reading up on em and all the on game reports were either

blow ups or pass thrus..... so I never shot any game with them. I may still have a box but I'd had to dig way back in my stash.

Seems from this thread those old reports were accurate. I still like the looks they had.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 907brass, 12 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 763 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,724
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.