Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Sight in set and forget scope for a ML (and/or a slug shotgun).

Tracking isnt a concern, as the shots will be sub 150 yards and the adjustments will only be made at the range sighting in.

Brightness and clarity aside, is there going to be much difference in durability and the ability to maintain zero once set between the handful of budget scopes on the market:
Some common sub $125 scopes

Bushnell banner
Bushnell trophy
Hawke vantage
Konus konus pro

... other...

Are they all flavors of the same thing made in the same factory with the same designed internals?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Burris Fullfield would be my choice

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Bearded

I did the same on my ML. Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35. 1/2 MOA clicks but it's a 200 yard weapon so who cares, shoot a couple to confirm before each season and it's always good to go. I think I got it from Natchez many years ago for $120. Maybe you can find one leftover or one on the used market. I'd much rather have a used Burris than any of those for anything that recoiled to the level of a slug gun. Post up a want ad in the classifieds, you may be surprised at what you can buy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve got a ballistic plex 3-9x40 Burris Fullfield II with some ring marks but otherwise perfect I’d sell you for $125 shipped!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That's a deal!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I’ve got a ballistic plex 3-9x40 Burris Fullfield II with some ring marks but otherwise perfect I’d sell you for $125 shipped!

Take that deal and run for it!!!!

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2 of my MZs have Sightron SII 3-9 on them and they've performed perfectly (even with kids hunting elk). You might be able to score one in the ~$150 range. My newest MZ has a Sightron S-Tac 2-10x32 but it hasn't seen much use yet.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

I think that sounds like a deal.

I just blew my budget but will move some money over and PM you about it later today.

Thanks Optics guys!

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bearded

This by far!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Back to the original question, which wasnt about which scope you would buy or like but instead if there is a difference in internals and durability of holding zero for the various similarly priced budget scopes (Sub $100ish) out there.

IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Back to the original question, which wasnt about which scope you would buy or like but instead if there is a difference in internals and durability of holding zero for the various similarly priced budget scopes (Sub $100ish) out there.

You're rolling the dice with all of those, hence the reason everyone is telling you to forget that cheap Chinese schit and get a Burris which is proven to hold zero for a set and forget rifle. That being said I had a Trophy XLT that I got from Cabelas on clearance that was clear and held zero well on a Vanguard 308, not really a heavy kicker. I can't imagine there would be much difference in any of them as far as holding zero.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have a Bushnell Sportview (I think) that I bought as a "blue light special" at Kmart around 1980. It still holds zero and I still have it on a Ranger 30-06. I believe the price was 29.95 in a blister pack.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’ll take it off your hands

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Sight in set and forget scope for a ML (and/or a slug shotgun).

Tracking isnt a concern, as the shots will be sub 150 yards and the adjustments will only be made at the range sighting in.

Brightness and clarity aside, is there going to be much difference in durability and the ability to maintain zero once set between the handful of budget scopes on the market:
Some common sub $125 scopes

Bushnell banner
Bushnell trophy
Hawke vantage
Konus konus pro

... other...

Are they all flavors of the same thing made in the same factory with the same designed internals?

I have Bushnell Banner and Trophy scopes on all my deer rifles. I have zero problems with them.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a sleeper. My bud has had one ever since they first came out many years ago. He doesn't shoot a lot and doesn't dial. It gets banged around pretty good going up trees with him and such. He touches off a round or two at the beginning of each season, and it's right where it needs to be. I am remembering the glass to be good. It will get him to well beyond last legal shooting light.

https://www.natchezss.com/simmons-a...-black-fmc-wp-capped-truplex-box-5l.html

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
This is a sleeper. My bud has had one ever since they first came out many years ago. He doesn't shoot a lot and doesn't dial. It gets banged around pretty good going up trees with him and such. He touches off a round or two at the beginning of each season, and it's right where it needs to be. I am remembering the glass to be good. It will get him to well beyond last legal shooting light.

Do you recall if it has side focus as it appears to in the pic? I can't find much on it in the specs to say how low it will go on the AO f it does indeed have it. I may have to grab one of those for that price to put on a 22 or keep around as a spare.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad

Do you recall if it has side focus as it appears to in the pic? I can't find much on it in the specs to say how low it will go on the AO f it does indeed have it. I may have to grab one of those for that price to put on a 22 or keep around as a spare.

I am almost certain the focus is only down to 50. My recollection of my bud's is that eye relief is good and the scope is easy to get behind. At the OPs price point that scope would be my first choice without hesitation. SWFA has them listed for quite a bit more. https://www.swfa.com/simmons-4-14x44-aetec-rifle-scope.html?___SID=U

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32?

I have one of these on a Mini 14. It's my knock around gun. It is perfect for under 150 yards.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad

I am almost certain the focus is only down to 50. My recollection of my bud's is that eye relief is good and the scope is easy to get behind. At the OPs price point that scope would be my first choice without hesitation. SWFA has them listed for quite a bit more. https://www.swfa.com/simmons-4-14x44-aetec-rifle-scope.html?___SID=U

Always some fly in the oinment. Focus to 30 yards or less would be ideal. I have an old Simmons 44 mag 6.5-20 I bought from SWFA on their samplelist a while back that I have on my Rem 597 HB that I really like for the $75 I have in it. I wouldn't trust them on heavy kickers but for an occasional use varmint or rimfire gun I have no issues with the cheaper Bushnell or Simmons scope.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,286
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.