Print Thread
Hop To
#15732009 02/01/21
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
It would seem that tagging a gun on gunbroker with “Rare” is getting out of hand along with the prices

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/890795558

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I bought a 308 E several years ago for $300 at an estate auction, sold it a few months later for $350. I should have kept it and restocked it in old wood, it was a tack driver. But, I'm so used to my 250's, it felt like shooting a canon.

As far as calling them "RARE", well all 99's are rare, compared to Winchesters and Remingtons. A few years back some one came here talking about how rare 22HP's were, and how they had been searching for one. Are they rare? Every one I know that wants one, has at least one. And most people I know that have one, have two or more. So, I went on GB and that particular day, I saw the most 22HP's for sale that I have seen in one day on GB. There were 10 of them, and every one said it was "The Rare 22HP". I guess if the sellers think they are rare, what the heck?

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Suck it up buttercup. Remember, there is an ass for every seat.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wouldn't you rather have a "rare" gun to sell than a common one?

The word "rare' is to gun selling like "fresh" is to produce selling.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe I should sell my 99E/S. that must be really RARE!

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Don't think I'm not tempted to cash in all my gun chips and take the money and buy a Jaguar E-Type and drive off into the sunset. The hyperbole, ranting, and teeth gnashing on both sides of the aisle is getting tiresome.

I had a college professor explain the fluctuations in markets, and the state of the economy in general, as being a result of our collective state of mind. We humans are susceptible to our own imaginations running wild, and once it takes hold spreads like wildfire - now facilitated by the quick and easy mass communications provided by the internet.

"I have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
And then there's the "shill" game with auctions. Yes, the spelling is correct. The seller wants $900+ for his rifle so he puts it on auction. The "shill" keeps bidding until the price hits $900+. If it closes at less than $900, the seller "sells" it to the shill and eats the cost of the auction when the shill gives the rifle back to the seller so it can be put on the other gun auction site.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
As I understand opinions here, use of the term "rare", actually portending... "common"!
Adding just yet such proposition consequence, yet seeming "uncommon"!
Perhaps in the future the nouveau... "Commonly rare" or "Rarely uncommon."
So confusing... or perhaps just "so British!"
Don't you think?
smile smile smile
John

Last edited by iskra; 02/02/21.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
the other one that amuses me "its in good shape for its age" in other words its been rode hard and put away wet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty soon we'll see one something like, " It's not rare; it's really, really, really I'm not lying rare. Trust me."

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The rarest of all: that lone example which the seller admits is pretty common.

"For your consideration we have a Savage 99 EG in .300 Savage. Plain wood, decent finish, ok bore, Weaver K4 scope. They made a million of them, this one is no different from the other 999,999. No one's Grandpappy fed his family with it, it wasn't carried by Elmer Keith, and it sat gathering dust in a lunatic's garage for 40 years before a clueless schmuck carried it for 15 straight seasons without firing a single shot at a deer. Because we are being honest about it, thus making it pretty rare, we are starting the bidding at $1500 with no reserve."

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
The rarest of all: that lone example which the seller admits is pretty common.

"For your consideration we have a Savage 99 EG in .300 Savage. Plain wood, decent finish, ok bore, Weaver K4 scope. They made a million of them, this one is no different from the other 999,999. No one's Grandpappy fed his family with it, it wasn't carried by Elmer Keith, and it sat gathering dust in a lunatic's garage for 40 years before a clueless schmuck carried it for 15 straight seasons without firing a single shot at a deer. Because we are being honest about it, thus making it pretty rare, we are starting the bidding at $1500 with no reserve."

There is a wordsmith in a hurricane.

norm //me just a dumb bidder at times smile

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
"Needs a good cleaning." More often it needs a new barrel....

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rare is more common than saying their rifle is minty. What does a minty rifle smell like anyway?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,631
Posts18,512,079
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.