Campfire Regular
Cool. Looking forward to it.

GB1

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mine puts the factory 130 gr Scirocco into about the same group, maybe a little larger, as the 127 gr LRX. The Scirocco has a bit better BC and the LRX a little more speed. If you compare the downrange ballistics of both, there doesn’t seem to be any appreciable difference. Factory LRX ammo for now but I have laid in components and dies to reload down the road.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info, WAM. My rifle actually fires the factory loaded 130gr Sciroccos 40 fps than the factory loaded 127gr LRXs, if my chrono is correct, and I think it is.

Does your rifle like the 140gr bullets, if you have tried them?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Have successfully taken mule deer and elk, bull and numerous cows, with the 127 LRX with muzzle velocity from 2800 to 3067 fps. Impact velocity on the bull at 810 yds, my farthest, was about 1700-1800 fps. He dropped like a rock as the POI was a skootch high (CNS hit). It's a phenomenal bullet and at your stated max of 600 will work exceptionally well. When we test these at Barnes Bullets for expansion and accuracy they are typically quite accurate and expand as designed.

Alan

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GSSP
Have successfully taken mule deer and elk, bull and numerous cows, with the 127 LRX with muzzle velocity from 2800 to 3067 fps. Impact velocity on the bull at 810 yds, my farthest, was about 1700-1800 fps. He dropped like a rock as the POI was a skootch high (CNS hit). It's a phenomenal bullet and at your stated max of 600 will work exceptionally well. When we test these at Barnes Bullets for expansion and accuracy they are typically quite accurate and expand as designed.

Alan

At least you spell your Allen correctly! Me too.

Thanks for the info.

So, what's the difference between the LRX and the TTSX? They look very similar inside and out. Is the LRX just a longer/heavier TTSX? Or is there more to it than that?

Alan

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

Alan

At least you spell your Allen correctly! Me too.

Thanks for the info.

So, what's the difference between the LRX and the TTSX? They look very similar inside and out. Is the LRX just a longer/heavier TTSX? Or is there more to it than that?

Alan

IIRC, the boattail is different, allowing for a better BC and the lower expansion velocity is lower, 1600 fps, IIRC. I've always said the correct way to spell it was "ALAN"!!!

Last edited by GSSP; 01/25/21.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
IIRC, the boattail is different, allowing for a better BC and the lower expansion velocity is lower, 1600 fps, IIRC. I've always said the correct way to spell it was "ALAN"!!!

I couldn't find the lower velocity limit on the Barnes website, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Yeah, more than one L and/or an E in Alan is just wrong.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
[quote=GSSP]IIRC, the boattail is different, allowing for a better BC and the lower expansion velocity is lower, 1600 fps, IIRC. I've always said the correct way to spell it was "ALAN"!!!

I couldn't find the lower velocity limit on the Barnes website, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

[/quote

]It's not actually on the website. For most any bullet's specs, you should email or call our CS folks; Chase or Ryan. I personally shoot the 127 and we just happen to be in production of the 120 TTSX and have the specs at hand as i'm testing them. I'm working the graveyard shift as we type. I did verify the 120 is designed to open as low as 1700 fps and the 127 would be 1600 fps.

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 01/25/21.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
MH, I have not tried the 140 gr bullets. My velocity comment was based on the Weatherby claim on each load. Both shot well. I have come to trust velocities posted by Weatherby for Weatherby rifles, but don’t doubt your chronograph either. I just never got Sciroccos to shoot in .30 cal rifles. Just love my Barnes....

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info WAM. I just found and bought two more boxes of the 127s on GB for $65/box. One guy has been hoarding them and successfully selling them on GB for $149/box. He had about 20 boxes and they all sold. Glad I didn't have to pay that. Some ammo places are selling the stuff when it comes out at the normal, pre-COVID, prices even thought they MUST know they can get more. Strange, but good.

IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think I paid $69 for the last 2 boxes that I bought. I also have the bullets and brass to load 50 more. I am trying to keep the barrel round count low, so I will do my practice shooting with a 7mm Weatherby that is set up the same as the 6.5 and 300’s. I plan to hunt mule deer with the 6.5 this fall and maybe elk. Happy Trails

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
6.5 Bee Accumark from the WBY Custom shop.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Rifle wears a Zeiss 4x16x44mm now.
I will be working on the 124 Absolute hammer bullet. Because of the minimal bearing surface and design pressures stay quite low so you compensate with more powder. I should easily see 3700 fps!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
[quote=GSSP]IIRC, the boattail is different, allowing for a better BC and the lower expansion velocity is lower, 1600 fps, IIRC. I've always said the correct way to spell it was "ALAN"!!!

[/quote

]It's not actually on the website. For most any bullet's specs, you should email or call our CS folks; Chase or Ryan. I personally shoot the 127 and we just happen to be in production of the 120 TTSX and have the specs at hand as i'm testing them. I'm working the graveyard shift as we type. I did verify the 120 is designed to open as low as 1700 fps and the 127 would be 1600 fps.

Alan

My 26 Nos shoots the 120 TTSX and the 120 E-Tip more accurately than the 127 LRX, half MOA vs MOA.

DF

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Fotis: Thanks for the info. The 127gr LRX seems to be the only thing Weatherby is producing right now. It keeps showing up on GB, but nothing else, except for older boxes of other variants occasionally.

Thanks for the info Dirtfarmer. Good shooting and info.

I know I'm insane, but I have a bit of Christmas money left from my father, and so I just ordered a new Accumark in 6.5-300 Wby and the same Bushnell Forge scope. So, I'm going to have two in that caliber soon, and will play around with both before deciding on which one to bring to Colorado in October.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Dang! I like it! Jumping in with both feet!

Semper Fi
RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You will not regret it. I have the 30-378 and 6.5-300 in Accumark and really like the way both shoot. My 6.5 likes the 127 LRX the best in both Weatherby factory and my loads using US869. It handles the 140's ok but the group seems to open up a bit. I have never elk hunted with it since I have the 30-378 but would not be opposed to it. Good luck and like my Pop always said you can save gas in a VW but there is no substitute for cubic inches. Oh...and if you don't reload, I will buy all the 6.5-300 brass you want to sell me...LOL

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks the info and comments RL. I really love my Accumark in .340, which is the most accurate rifle I ever have shot. The Accuguard in 6.5-300 also is shooting well with the 127s. Just got two more boxes of those in the mail today. The scope, rings, and base arrive on Friday. Rifle is set to arrive at the local FFL on Friday, which means I likely can pick it up on Saturday or Sunday.

Unfortunately, I already offered my brass to Beretzs for his younger brother.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There is a ULW 6.5-300 at my LGS that is brand spanking new in the box on consignment(estate sale). It has the thread protector instead of a brake which can't be found anywhere. I am probably going to buy it in the next few days because it is priced that low. I spoke to Weatherby today concerning their ammo and was surprised to find out they are making ammo in house now. This will be a Handloading proposition.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Cool Oldelkhunter. As noted above, I have one MkV ULW in 7mm Wby that I have transitioned to my older son. He bought a B&C free-floating stock, and the rifle seems a little less finicky now. The ULWs have dual pressure pads up front. YMMV.

Good luck if you get it. It seems like a really high-performance long-distance cartridge for anything other than the largest mammals on earth.

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
There is a ULW 6.5-300 at my LGS that is brand spanking new in the box on consignment(estate sale). It has the thread protector instead of a brake which can't be found anywhere. I am probably going to buy it in the next few days because it is priced that low. I spoke to Weatherby today concerning their ammo and was surprised to find out they are making ammo in house now. This will be a Handloading proposition.

That is what Weatherby told me as well. The rep. said this spring they expect to have Weatherby ammo more available - just not sure what "more available" really means. I agree the high octane Weatherby chamberings are handloading propositions but whether handloads or factory loads it is pretty cool to shoot at distances that you need to drive the truck to - didn't say I was good at it but sure is fun.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (Anaconda, AscensionIndustries, Amos63, arky65, 9 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,100
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.