Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I’m looking to sell my house in Portland Or and Palm Springs CA.
I really like Bend Oregon, reno NV, and Prescott AZ but my dollar just doesn’t go a long ways there .
How is the work in NM? I’m 41 and still need to work to take care of the family. I’m in construction/GC
Please feel free to give me pros and cons

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of places around Albuquerque are not so good.
Kinda like Portland.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Albuquerque is a [bleep]. I used to travel there for work quite a bit, can’t think of anything positive to say about it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Crime.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Lots of places around Albuquerque are not so good.
Kinda like Portland.

It's pretty much a schidt-hole with low wages and high crime.

Go 50 miles east of Reno to live, and your dollar goes farther. Some major commercial development is moving a bit on East of Reno. There's a lot of new construction and money to be made by someone with those skills and some business smarts.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dre
I’m looking to sell my house in Portland Or and Palm Springs CA.
I really like Bend Oregon, reno NV, and Prescott AZ but my dollar just doesn’t go a long ways there .
How is the work in NM? I’m 41 and still need to work to take care of the family. I’m in construction/GC
Please feel free to give me pros and cons
For a nice documentary on the positives and negatives of the Albuquerque metro area...

meth

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lots of drugs and crime in Albuquerque, and the state government is terrible.

New Mexico has been in a lockdown for ages now thanks to their governor. She has about destroyed small business.

If you want stable opportunity, I'd look elsewhere.

Last edited by TexasPhotog; 02/03/21.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Crime index Alb 2018 = 710.3
US Average = 274.0

http://www.city-data.com/city/Albuquerque-New-Mexico.html

Lots more info on that site, like average commute times, etc.

Your choice, but it's not one I'd like to make. Wife and I considered some transfers there, then looked.

Windridge has an idea what's going on in the Reno area, you might spend a minute looking into towns east of there. I think he's alluding to Fallon and such.

Have you looked into other "mountain towns" in AZ? Or NM? You may find some with the growth rate you need in your line of work to keep busy. And selling places in Potlandia and Palm Springs, if you have any equity, you may just make out well.

Good luck.........I guess.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2000 I moved from Oregon to Albuquerque. Wife and I had good jobs in place waiting for us. We had looked at areas in Arizona, which I liked better than NM, wife didn’t.

At the time, IIRC, NM was one of the poorest States in the country. People were cool. A lot of drunks and people with handicaps it seemed. My wife was a RN and maybe after 5 months there she mentioned all the fûcked up people we’d see around town and in stores. Seemed like more than normal.

I met with a good client at Sandia Labs. I mentioned to him that the place seemed to have more than its share of people with outward signs of disabilities. He said “what do you expect”,,,”this is one polluted State from all the military testing that was done here”.

We lasted a year...Wife hated it ! I was ok, there. We had a nice place in the highlands in Moriarty, NM with acreage.

Arizona would have been a better place to move, at least back them

YMMV

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was in Albuquerque 12 years ago for 2 weeks staying in a hotel.

There are bars on the windows.... that means crime.

There are gated communities there.... that means crime.

There was a lot of grunting on the other side of my hotel wall..... that means sex.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Car theft capital of America. Absolute schithole. My ex wife keeps threatening to move there and try to take my son since its "cheap." I think the #1 pastime there is sniffing spraypaint.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Little hottie I knew back in jr high lives there. She's a lawyer. She's also a frothing-at-the-mouth liberal who specializes in getting illegals legal. Unreal. If she's representative of NM...in a word, no.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I stepped over a drugged up bum in an Albuquerque McDonalds foyer one time to get a Big Mac. No different than any other city, IME.
I've done the same in Boise, Spokane, Reno and plenty of other places.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Spent a couple of months one winter on a splicing project. Weather was warm. Route 66 passed through town and some landmarks still remain. Interesting petroglyphs (ancient rock carvings) west of town. Food was hit or miss...no middle ground. Same for housing...really nice or dirt yards.

Lots of red light cameras everywhere. All the fenced yards seemed to be cinder block topped with embedded broken glass. The show Breaking Bad made it look better than it really is. Work trucks routinely broken into.

It's cheap for a reason.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Lots of drugs and crime in Albuquerque, and the state government is terrible.

New Mexico has been in a lockdown for ages now thanks to their governor. She has about destroyed small business.

If you want stable opportunity, I'd look elsewhere.

Except for SD, anytime you say "she" and "governor" in the same sentence, It's a klusterfuk.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They had a cool biplane hanging in the airport last time I was there!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Got good friends in NM, poor state, no jobs. Not a place I would go to look for work.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Schit hole.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Isn’t it basically a Rez?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I believe Ilya Koshkin moved there from Kookyfornia last year. I'd PM him and ask his thoughts.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1minute, 160user, 1badf350, 257 mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,326
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.