Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Certainly not to compete with anyone and no pictures just yet... A very close friend passed last fall and his widow has now asked me to help sell off his collection. There's 1903's, 03/A3's, Garands, M1A's, Mausers, Broomhandles, Luger's, Bayonets and scabbards, Springfield 1864 in 50-70 w/ bayonet, 1884 in 45-70, M1917, M1 carbine, dies, brass, bullets... all kinds of stuff. I know all of this is "what exactly is it", and I'll get there, at least try to. What I'm asking here is what are good resource sites to go to? So I can find out exactly what this all is. Thanks in advance for replies, Dean.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
What I'm asking here is what are good resource sites to go to? So I can find out exactly what this all is.

https://armscollectors.com

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTUYU6A/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Would be places to start.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks Pugs!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck, Sir. You are undertaking a noble project, which our wives may eventually need.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thank you Theo Gallus. I already told his widow that our biggest fear is that when we pass our survivors will sell our stuff for what we told them we paid for it! Lol! My dad passed last year and went through all his stuff, another friend asked for help with his stuff so they could move into an assisted living community, and now this. Little heavy right now, but this too shall pass...

NRA life member

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Gunbroker can be an interesting resource. There's a way to check the price of completed auctions after you sign in. That doesn't necessarily show the actual value of a specific item but it does show what people were willing to pay for things at a specific point in time.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a lot of what you list. Always wanted a Luger though. Good luck

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Sometimes great resources are under our nose. This Website Forum and others. First perhaps to assess your own knowledge. The fact you're here, speaks well of some knowledge. But as many of us, "collector" badge, reflecting pockets of in-depth knowledge amidst perhaps broader wastelands of little to none. Such in terms of the fine points which make substantial difference in collectability & value. The encyclopedic guides as referenced above can be useful... To a point. That for 'categorization'. Beyond... The great divide. Sporting goods store 'used shelf guns' and the more seriously 'big ticket and/or 'collectible' ones. Latter category, "due diligence" probably requires, the large step two.

Example: Returning to Forums such as these and other specialized Forums where experts lurk. The key, such as good & plentiful photos. The Forums here, photos closely limited in number and that a potential
problem. But "punt" yet possible! Fronting available 'pix' and allowing the experts to determine & request "more particularized ones as required".

The message here, more than a strong inference... Taking on valuing & disposing of anything suggesting nuance laced collectibles/high dollar items, a potentially big job. I'd not wish to do it if very many collector class pieces where "due diligence" requires skill & effort. An old adage in law concerning "volunteers". By definition, no requirement to assume burden; but where once assumed, "competence" is required and accountability for subsequent actions/omissions inherent.

Another 'wordy' take, but... "Volunteering" to reply, to do so competently required! smile smile smile
Best & Stay Safe
John

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by iskra
Sometimes great resources are under our nose. This Website Forum and others. First perhaps to assess your own knowledge. The fact you're here, speaks well of some knowledge. But as many of us, "collector" badge, reflecting pockets of in-depth knowledge amidst perhaps broader wastelands of little to none. Such in terms of the fine points which make substantial difference in collectability & value. The encyclopedic guides as referenced above can be useful... To a point. That for 'categorization'. Beyond... The great divide. Sporting goods store 'used shelf guns' and the more seriously 'big ticket and/or 'collectible' ones. Latter category, "due diligence" probably requires, the large step two.

Example: Returning to Forums such as these and other specialized Forums where experts lurk. The key, such as good & plentiful photos. The Forums here, photos closely limited in number and that a potential
problem. But "punt" yet possible! Fronting available 'pix' and allowing the experts to determine & request "more particularized ones as required".

The message here, more than a strong inference... Taking on valuing & disposing of anything suggesting nuance laced collectibles/high dollar items, a potentially big job. I'd not wish to do it if very many collector class pieces where "due diligence" requires skill & effort. An old adage in law concerning "volunteers". By definition, no requirement to assume burden; but where once assumed, "competence" is required and accountability for subsequent actions/omissions inherent.

Another 'wordy' take, but... "Volunteering" to reply, to do so competently required! smile smile smile
Best & Stay Safe
John

what?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by iskra

Best & Stay Safe
John

what?

+1. Drooling ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by okie john
Gunbroker can be an interesting resource. There's a way to check the price of completed auctions after you sign in. That doesn't necessarily show the actual value of a specific item but it does show what people were willing to pay for things at a specific point in time.

Okie John

Trying to find out more specifics on stuff so the search isn't so broad. Found a Rock Ridge repo of the 1903-A4 "Sniper" as new in its original box tucked away last night.

NRA life member

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Hey Dean I would be interested in a 1903 and or a 1917, get in touch when your ready amo916 at aol.com thanks, Sal

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a pretty good researcher if you need and assistance I'm free this following week. Feel free to let me know what support you need and ie will help out as much as possible

Last edited by MPat70; 02/04/21.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thank you MPat70, appreciate it! I'll be over there tomorrow and will take some pics and as much description as I can gather.

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gunboards forums can be a good, but some people on there are class-A pricks, so best advice is to get your desired info and then leave

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 309coug, 17CalFan, 16penny, 38 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,881
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.