Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Going through more of my deceased buddies stuff and found 7 boxes (140 rounds) of what looks like newer Armscor USA ammo in 308 Win. There was a sticky note on it that said "do not sell armscor ammo" and it got me curious. First, all the brass is different headstamp military ammo and all this is 147gr FMJ. I found 1 fired case out of the 140 and it has definite case head separation and flattened primer. The only thing he has that would shoot anything 308 Win/7.62x51 is the Springfield Armory M1A1, nothing else in his collection chambered for this. I'm not a Garand guy or M1A1 guy, not my thing and don't have any. Anything to be concerned about with the rifle? Or could this just be an ammo issue? Maybe I'll try a couple rounds out of my Ruger. Sorry about the picture of the case head, not the best but best one out of what I tried. Lots of carbon around it too. Any thoughts or insight is appreciated. Thanks, Dean.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 02/06/21.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
That is lake city 2011 long range brass m118. It was manufactured with out primer cramp. Looks like Corrsion on the brass

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
No, no corrosion. Lots of soot/carbon around the head split.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
1 piece of defective brass doesn't mean it all is. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I realize that, I also know how my buddy was... I don't shoot these rifles, just wondering if there's anything to give a heads up about from guys that do.

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 02/07/21.

NRA life member

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are going to sell it give all the information you know before completing the transaction. I personally would pull the bullets and dump the powder and keep the brass for reloading. If you are going to shoot it check for corrosion before loading the ammo. Armscor has been around for a while and I have not heard anything bad about their ammo. But, I don't shoot it on a regular basis. I reload the brass when I find it.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
All the ammo looks fine, actually really nice. No corrosion, no tarnish, nice crimps... The one fired case, out of the 140, is a case failure/rupture/head separation. Classic headspace issue? I just know nothing about M1A1's and before doing anything with the rifle thought I'd ask here...

NRA life member

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I would tear down that ammo and use as components. Without knowing the condition of the rifle I'd say at least you should give it a good cleaning. For help with that you could go over to M14.com and checkout there site or better yet youtube videos by Tony Ben. He's an builder of M14's in Oregon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like your buddy got some ammo in trade that was mixed brass with an unknown load in Armscor boxes and was smart enough (and decent enough) not to try and sell it to some unsuspecting buyer.

Again, you're talking about Armscor boxes, not Armscor ammo. Agree with those who say to break it down and dump the powder.

(And it's just M1A; M1A1 is a tank.)

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Maybe he had a rifle with serious headspace problems so I would try it if you have a Ruger bolt action.
It'll work, see how the primer looks after firing for over pressure, if non you figured out what happened to that
fired round.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Haha, thanks Mesabi, appreciate it! Ammo will be broken down as I found some other fired rounds, he labeled everything, that were fired in this rifle and are fine. Tom was in artillery during Vietnam, just one of the reasons he had hearing aids. He was meticulous with every aspect he had control over. Thanks again to all who contributed. Dean

NRA life member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The recoil action on a M1A is pretty violent and cases only last about 4 reloadings before they begin to have case failure issues. If there is no reloading data or log showing the numbers of times the cases have been reloaded I would definitely not fire them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

429 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 1minute, 47 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,859
Posts18,478,555
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.