Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Paul_M Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

https://nbc25news.com/news/local/he...-deactivates-implantable-cardiac-devices

Henry Ford cardiologists find iPhone 12 magnet deactivates implantable cardiac devices
by Mid-Michigan Now NewsroomThursday, February 4th 2021

DETROIT, Mich. - One of the newest features of the Apple iPhone 12 series of mobile devices is a strong magnet that helps align the phone on Apple’s MagSafe accessory to maximize charging – a feature that raised the curiosity of Henry Ford Heart & Vascular Institute cardiologist Gurjit Singh, M.D., and his colleagues.

Dr. Singh is an expert in cardiac electrophysiology, a specialty which deals with various electrical and rhythm disorders. He is an expert in the use of devices such as implantable defibrillators that detect an irregular heartbeat and shock the heart back into a normal rhythm, and pacemakers that use electricity to keep the heart beating. Combined, more than 300,000 people in the United States undergo surgery to implant one of these devices each year. Additionally, approximately one in four cell phones sold last year was an iPhone 12.

These cardiac devices have switches which respond to an external magnet to change how the device functions. For a defibrillator, a magnet can be used to turn the device off. For a pacemaker, a strong magnet can make the device deliver electrical impulses that cause the heart to beat out of sync, which can bring about a potentially lethal condition called ventricular fibrillation.

“Obviously, we can’t perform surgery every time we need to control one of these devices, which is why they are engineered to allow us to use strong magnets over the chest to control their function,” said Dr. Singh. “So, we began to wonder if the magnet in the iPhone 12 would affect the safe operation of these devices.”

In order to find out if their suspicions were true, Dr. Singh and his colleagues took an iPhone 12 Pro and passed it over the chest of a patient with an implantable defibrillator.

“When we brought the iPhone close to the patient’s chest the defibrillator was deactivated,” said Dr. Singh. “We saw on the external defibrillator programmer that the functions of the device were suspended and remained suspended. When we took the phone away from the patient’s chest, the defibrillator immediately returned to its normal function.”

“We were all stunned,” he said. “We had assumed that the magnet would be too weak in a phone to trip the defibrillator’s magnetic switch. “

Alarmed by their discovery, Dr. Singh and his Henry Ford colleagues immediately drafted a manuscript about their findings and submitted it to the medical journal HeartRhythm, which was published on January 4, 2021.

“We believe our findings have profound implications on a large scale for the people who live daily with these devices, who without thinking, will place their phone in their shirt pocket or upper pocket or their coat – not knowing that it can cause their defibrillator or pacemaker to function in a way that could potentially be lethal.”

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No country for old men.....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah but the rest of us get better wireless charging.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Even with an Android phone they tell you to use the phone with your right hand/ear. I got my ICD in early December and it has been a pain trying to remember to keep it away from my left side.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"That doesn't matter. We need 5G!!!!!" crazy

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I just sent that to a friend. He and his wife both have pacemakers. They'll never own a phone that expensive but their son uses high tech phones extensively in his business and could well have one. They'd want to be sure to never use his phone if he does.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have some Milt Sparks holsters with the neodymium magnet snaps that came with a full page warning about keeping them away from electronic devices, people with pacemakers, and magnetic media such as the strips on credit cards. Years later, my electronic devices and credit cards have continued to work as intended, and I have not had anyone near me fall down from a heart attack.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had an iPhone 5 until recently. I also had an electronic card to open the security gates at the local airport. The card would quit working after a short period of time. The airport director told me to not put it in my pocket with my iPhone. The phone would kill the card. Unintended consequences.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 45_100
I had an iPhone 5 until recently. I also had an electronic card to open the security gates at the local airport. The card would quit working after a short period of time. The airport director told me to not put it in my pocket with my iPhone. The phone would kill the card. Unintended consequences.
I wonder...I have an Android phone and usually carry it in my shirt pocket. On occasions, I've dropped my debit card in there. I've had to replace the card a couple times because it wouldn't always read in stores. Now I wonder if the phone isn't screwing it up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (22kHornet, 25aught6, 280ACKIMP, 222ND, 270wsmnutt, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,379
Posts18,527,486
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.