Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Albuds Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I need some expert advice on new scope for my AR-10. Will be used for whitetail and hog hunting in Georgia with typical shots under 150 yards. I’m 72 years young and want good eye relief, wide field of view for quick target acquisition and as good low light capability as I can get for money spent. Prefer illuminated reticle.
Price point $600 -$1000 max.

After much reading on optics forums and research I’m considering the following:

Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x44RD 4c Reticle $700 (Meopta Store)
Meopta Optika6 2.5-15x44RD 4c Reticle $700? (None in stock)
Meopta Optika6 3-18x50RD 4c Reticle $649 (Meopta Store)
Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12x42 Green Dot $859 (Scopelist)
Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 Foreplex Reticle $985 (Various Online)
Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 Firedot Reticle $999 (Various Online)

I what I’ve read as well as the price point of the Meopta scope, but am concerned about their lack of availability. Also not excited about the weight of the Optika6. Finally concerned that the MeoPro line is dated.

Input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I’d go Trijicon and don’t discount their 3-9x40 or one of the lower power offerings with the red triangle post.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got them, so no experience to speak of, but the two Trijicons I bought are very nice. One’s an Accupoint and the other a Credo HX. The Accupoint is a 3-9 with a duplex w/dot and it’s not super bright, but when illumination is needed, it’s there. The Credo HX is a 2.5-10x56, a 25oz beast with a battery-powered illuminated crosshair in the duplex. Both are green, because I like green.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
L
I have the Trijicon Accupoint 2x10x56 BDC green dot- for the money I think it's one of the best set and forget scopes available.

In SC we can shoot deer until 1 hour after sunset, I have to check time to stay legal because I can shoot well past legal time with my old eyes.
A friend bought the Meopro in the same power range- we compared them side by side until we were unable to make a proper aimed deer killing shot- Trijicon won hands down by over 10 minutes

IC B2

A
Albuds Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Appreciate the responses I received to this post.

I ended up purchasing a Delta Titanium HD 2.5-10x56 Model DO2450 for less than $700 delivered. Stumbled on Delta scopes in a response to this same post by someone who specializes in evaluating rifle scopes on another Forum. Low light capability and an illuminated reticle were two key issues to me.

Delta is a Polish company selling scopes primarily in Europe and Canada. The Titanium line is mad by Light Optical Works considered perhaps the finest OEM facility in Japan. Specs are outstanding and light transmission on this scope is amazing for the price. There are two U.S. dealers

I've received it just recently but am highly impressed so far. I'd highly encourage anyone looking for a very high end scope for hunting to look into these.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd be looking for a used Swaro/Zeiss, or maybe a Leupold VX6 2-12?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Vortex Razor LHT is your huckleberry-

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wesley2
Vortex Razor LHT is your huckleberry-

This!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
A
Albuds Offline OP
OP Offline
A

Not sure why I would have wanted to spend $400 more for the Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x50. I think I'd put the Delta Titanium up against the Vortex any day. Plus for relatively short range hunting I've got FOV at 100 yards of 47 feet vs the Vortex at 24.6.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Albuds

Not sure why I would have wanted to spend $400 more for the Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x50. I think I'd put the Delta Titanium up against the Vortex any day. Plus for relatively short range hunting I've got FOV at 100 yards of 47 feet vs the Vortex at 24.6.

First off the Vortex can be had for around $200 more through EuroOptic, so its not that much of a difference considering it goes to 15x compared to 10x for the Delta. Even though both scopes are Japanese made and should be of good quality, Vortex is known for their good customer service if needed. Since Delta only has 2 US dealers getting the scope fixed if something goes wrong could be a hassle. Lastly I would say that the resale on the Vortex alone would be enough reason for me to to lean towards them since most folks have never heard of Delta.

I have never heard of Delta Optics up until this post and am not a huge Vortex guy, but I do have a LHT and will be picking up a few more eventually. For an AR a 56mm obj is a bit large for most peoples liking but everyone has their own taste. I am not trying to bash your new scope by any means, but this is just my 2 cents as to why I would go with the Vortex over the Delta.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been happy with Meopta's, Steiner, and of course Nightforce. Lots of scopes in your price range. Depends on what weight and objective you prefer.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Are you affiliated with Delta Optics?

I like to think I’m fairly knowledgeable on decent glass and I’ve never even heard of Delta until this post.

I paid $756 for a new 50mm LHT shipped and $700 for a like new 42mm LHT shipped.

They’ll hang with or out perform any other sub $1K scope and if I drop it out of a treestand 10 years from now, when Delta Optics is dead and gone, Vortex will send me a new one.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
>> i would find a used Nightforce scope and never look back.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I haven't heard of Delta prior to this thread either. I have done some work with Meopta after a long stint with another optic company and I can assure you for the price, Meopta's quality and features are tough to beat. I have the Optika6 3-18x50 RD on a deer rifle and I have no complaints. Great in low light and tough, a buddy dropped it 16 feet out of a tree stand when he went to lower the rifle via a rope and somehow let go. European quality glass from a company that has been making their own glass for almost 100 years. I have had a few guys ask me about the MeoPro scopes that are being discontinued and have a kind of cult following with some. Meopta Sports Optics does have 2 3.5-10x44 4C scopes in stock. Reach out to me if you need help finding them.

Last edited by bman940; 03/10/21. Reason: err
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank me later....

This is what you want: SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Rif... Donut (Circle/Mil-Scale), .10 Mrad, 1/p

This is a lightly used 1-6 HD scope on sale: SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope DEMO-A

Last edited by David_Walter; 03/10/21.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
your on the right line with the meopta meopro. its a dang good option and i own 2 on a couple cz-527's and several meostars. you might wanna take a gander at the zeiss v4 line. i personally like the 3-12x56mm with #60 illum ret for late afternoon sits in the dark MS woods.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Motown

First off the Vortex can be had for around $200 more through EuroOptic, so its not that much of a difference considering it goes to 15x compared to 10x for the Delta. Even though both scopes are Japanese made and should be of good quality, Vortex is known for their good customer service if needed. Since Delta only has 2 US dealers getting the scope fixed if something goes wrong could be a hassle. Lastly I would say that the resale on the Vortex alone would be enough reason for me to to lean towards them since most folks have never heard of Delta.

I have never heard of Delta Optics up until this post and am not a huge Vortex guy, but I do have a LHT and will be picking up a few more eventually. For an AR a 56mm obj is a bit large for most peoples liking but everyone has their own taste. I am not trying to bash your new scope by any means, but this is just my 2 cents as to why I would go with the Vortex over the Delta.

They have been around for at least 2 decades.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Had to look them (delta) up as well.
Here is a link to the titanium series being discussed - hope it saves someone else a little time.
Looks like a 10 year warranty fwiw.
https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/rifl...scope_series-delta_optical_titanium.html

A
Albuds Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I find interesting that my original post on February 6th received just four comments and mentioned only Trijicon and Steiner. No mention of Vortex, though i own a Vortex Viper and just helped my brother purchase a Vortex scope.

Having now purchased the Delta Titanium Scope, suggestions i should have made another choice are a bit late and dissing my selection is surely not constructive.

In answer to one question, I am in no way affiliated with Delta Optics. Though as a former Polish/Russian linguist many years ago in the Air Force I guess i have a warm spot for a Polish Company.

I am also a complete optics and riflescope novice. But I did a lot of research and looked for advice and comments on five different optics forums. As would be expected there are lots of brand preferences, some folks with a great deal of knowledge and some not, different opinions about what is important and what's not and lots of folks who don't pay much attention to the specific objectives stated. I think my criteria was pretty clear.

Delta Optical was founded in 2002, so they've been around for a while. They manufacture a lot more than riflescopes and appear highly respected. I found reviews where their Stryker and Titanium scopes have been favorable compared to some top brands and high level products. I learned about Delta when it was recommended by a guy named Ilya Koshkin who does extensive testing of optics and seems somewhat of a scope guru. I'm very comfortable with the quality of the Titanium scope and its specifications for my particular use.

I actually paid $595 delivered for this scope through one of the two U.S, dealers. The scope was shipped from Poland to me in just 10 days with the reticle i wanted. The Meopta scopes I considered with similar reticle have remained out of stock and on backorder for months. Best price i found for the Accupoint was $849 and felt the Titanium's low light capability was going to be better. The Vortex Razor had not been mentioned and the best price I've been able to find for one with a BDC reticle online is over $1,000.

If someone had recommended the Vortex and where it could be purchased for $700 with the BDC reticle i might well have bought one. I don't believe there is much likelihood of warranty issues (though Delta provides a 10 year warranty and are said to back their products) nor am i concerned about resale. So there doesn't seem much point in spending more for these reasons.

At the end of the day I'm very happy with my choice and think this is a great scope for the money. I have no concern about what brand or model anyone else purchases, just want them to be aware this is one they might consider.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10Glocks, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 257man, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,775
Posts18,495,765
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.