Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Rlhunter0403
243 will absolutely do the job at 300 yards on any whitetail deer. I have seen several killed at that distance. Saw one shot at ~450yds with an 80g TTSX. We had to track him a little bit more that normal but he still died

To be expected when you shoot something as tough as a railroad spike at a small critter. Especially at extended distances.

Granted I have no experience w the monos because I see no need for them on something as small as a deer.

Funny how people say these copper bullets make a smaller caliber kill better but in my experience a cup n core at 2800+ fps that sheds a bit of weight kills like lightning.

Could be from a .224 to .308 caliber, same shot placement w equal bullet construction results in the same kinds of kills, rather quick w minimal tracking.

100% agree. If I knew I was going to make a lot of shots on game from that distance the TTSX would not be my bullet of choice. From 450yards it basically just poked a 6mm sized hole in him. I like mono bullets but they aren't perfect for everything like some claim. Bottom line is "most" rifle cartridges will get the job done on "most" game as long as you make a good shot and have the proper bullet construction.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by Clynn
Its damn shame a guy can't ask a question without that kinda crap . How many new guys see that and never post because of it . Its BS .

The damned shame here is that nobody actually seeks to gain understanding anymore. They just ask online. It hurts to have to research, gather facts, and reason things out. It hurts bad.

I thought asking for the experience of others, and sharing your experience with others was what platforms like this one are for. And wouldn't asking for input from others with experience be part of one's "research"? I have my own opinion of the 243, but I find it valuable to hear what others think.

Can I haul a couch in my truck? I got it at a garage sale. What do you think?

I think you're a funny fellow...

And I think that a) there are stupid questions, b) people would actually begin to think for themselves a bit if required to do so, and c) that if a guy is wondering about a widely used cartridge's effectiveness at widely shot ranges, that the guy may either be in over his head, so to speak, or no one has scolded him for inanity. To each their own, really. I answered his question, but the answer I (and others) gave is irrelevant. No new understanding was transmitted. Just a lot of rehashing of widely-understood information and opinions. The relevant questions, the why and the how, have yet to be discussed. So again, inanity.

So what about this couch thing? Can I haul it in my truck or not? Sheesh. Help a guy out, already. Or maybe you should be worried that someone asking this question is serious, as he shares your road system.

So if it was such a juvenile question:

A), why did you jump right in an provide a helpful answer, and then 5 days later decide to bash the guy for being so ignorant?

B) Why have there been so many others who have responded with their thoughts, experience and opinions, without condescending remarks?

C) If the topic is below you, why not just roll your eyes and move on? Why the need to take a shot at someone asking (in his opinion) a legitimate question?

Perhaps there needs to be a panel of "experts" to screen questions before they can be posted, so as not to annoy those more knowledgeable?

Or perhaps there should be an "advanced" forum for the intelligentsia. There could be tests required to pass before one would be allowed to post.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to ignore or take pot shots.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Get along fellers, bigger problems in the world to worry about than what somebody else posts on an internet forum.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Its damn shame a guy can't ask a question without that kinda crap . How many new guys see that and never post because of it . Its BS .

The damned shame here is that nobody actually seeks to gain understanding anymore. They just ask online. It hurts to have to research, gather facts, and reason things out. It hurts bad.

I thought asking for the experience of others, and sharing your experience with others was what platforms like this one are for. And wouldn't asking for input from others with experience be part of one's "research"? I have my own opinion of the 243, but I find it valuable to hear what others think.

I think you're a funny fellow...

And I think that a) there are stupid questions, b) people would actually begin to think for themselves a bit if required to do so, and c) that if a guy is wondering about a widely used cartridge's effectiveness at widely shot ranges, that the guy may either be in over his head, so to speak, or no one has scolded him for inanity. To each their own, really. I answered his question, but the answer I (and others) gave is irrelevant. No new understanding was transmitted. Just a lot of rehashing of widely-understood information and opinions. The relevant questions, the why and the how, have yet to be discussed. So again, inanity.

So what about this couch thing? Can I haul it in my truck or not? Sheesh. Help a guy out, already. Or maybe you should be worried that someone asking this question is serious, as he shares your road system.

So if it was such a juvenile question:

A), why did you jump right in an provide a helpful answer, and then 5 days later decide to bash the guy for being so ignorant?

B) Why have there been so many others who have responded with their thoughts, experience and opinions, without condescending remarks?

C) If the topic is below you, why not just roll your eyes and move on? Why the need to take a shot at someone asking (in his opinion) a legitimate question?

Perhaps there needs to be a panel of "experts" to screen questions before they can be posted, so as not to annoy those more knowledgeable?

Or perhaps there should be an "advanced" forum for the intelligentsia. There could be tests required to pass before one would be allowed to post.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to ignore or take pot shots.

I didn't say it was "a juvenile question." Learn the words I used They are well-used and are of the common English. Then we can talk. The only point you have made here is that you are stupid. Perfect addition to a pointless thread.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Oh, you said "stupid questions" I made the giant leap to "juvenile questions". Pardon me. Have a nice day.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Get along fellers, bigger problems in the world to worry about than what somebody else posts on an internet forum.

Exactly. All that drama over asking about shooting a deer on a hunting forum. I hope he doesn't ask about bullet construction or optics advise!.....lol.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes on the couch.... here at the campfire a fine curb couch is a status symbol...... and if you happen to reside in Texas, you need to build a platform 10' above the truck bed for the couch.... uber

As far as the 243 I think a few deer have succumbed to it even past 400 yds.... choose a good boolit and go forth a slay.... and the bickering? get used to it smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you to all for sharing your knowledge .
The .243 was left to me from a friend , all I ever used for WT Deer in PA was a .35 Rem I bought when I came home from the war . Then a .30-06 , lately I've been using a Sako Finnwolf in .308 Winchester . The .308 shoots very well with Sierra 165 in front 4350
My luck has been better in NJ with a Savage 220 slug gun .
Sorry if I irritated anyone .
Have a nice weekend .
Bill

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Soup
You are well equipped with your friends rifle. If you reload grab some 90 grain Nosler BT and kill any deer you want. If not grab some Federal blue box or Remington 100gr CL and you are good to go.
Monos are good but really not needed. Enjoy your rifle.
GreggH

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Longest deer kill for me with a 243 Win. 95 grain Nosler B/T at 460 yards. Gee that was a long time ago. (31 years I think)

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Soup
Judman ,

My question was several fold . I just received the Ruger No1 and thought perhaps I could acquire some first hand information from folks who use the .243 on a regular basis . Also other then for woodchucks my shots at WT Deer can go from in the woods at 40-60 yards to a field shot of 200 yards. I'm trying to figure what scope to choose ,

If I have offended you in some way , you have my deepest sympathy !!

To all those who gave me some great positive information I thank you very much .

Semper Fi
Bill

Thanks for your service Bill. Get out and kill some shiit, wanna be impressed, load some 55 nbt at 4000 and get back to me.. 👍🤣😘

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Soup
Judman ,

My question was several fold . I just received the Ruger No1 and thought perhaps I could acquire some first hand information from folks who use the .243 on a regular basis . Also other then for woodchucks my shots at WT Deer can go from in the woods at 40-60 yards to a field shot of 200 yards. I'm trying to figure what scope to choose ,

If I have offended you in some way , you have my deepest sympathy !!

To all those who gave me some great positive information I thank you very much .

Semper Fi
Bill

Thanks for your service Bill. Get out and kill some shiit, wanna be impressed, load some 55 nbt at 4000 and get back to me.. 👍🤣😘

Something about when you hit 3900-4000 schitt starts to get pretty dramatic in the kill department.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 02/06/21.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Jud and 10’ . Had never entertained the idea of the 55 gr BT’s. Had good luck with them ?
GreggH

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have toyed with the idea of setting one up that way. Something really fast and flat out to 300 or so would cover over 90% of the critter shooting around here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a friend that lives in South Texas, member here that can chime in if He wants, that I have seen make called shots, at improbable distances, to me, with a .243 and hand loads. Those distances are far in excess of the original question. His go to hunting rifle for most things is a .243 Ackley. He has no trouble killing things. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GreggH
Jud and 10’ . Had never entertained the idea of the 55 gr BT’s. Had good luck with them ?
GreggH

I haven't personally used them and guys I know that use them are using them on coyotes.

I do know of 3 guys that use 70 grain Ballistic Tips on coyotes and deer though, they say it's like lightning hits them and they also claim a large percentage of pass throughs.

That 55 may be a fuzz light for anything other than extended distances, smaller deer or head/neck shots.

I wouldn't be scared to try them on a deer out past 200 and neck or lung shots only in open country.

Pretty sure plenty will disagree but I know my own abilities.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 02/06/21.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Isn't reading and asking on Places like this research?

Or I can buy some random bullets and start shooting things, wounding them and trying a different one til I find one that works, leaving a trail of wounded animals as I learn on my own?

Give me a break. Places like this are research, ya just have to filter out the bs

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I killed a lot of critters with 70 grain ballistic tips. 100s of coyotes, a couple dozen wolves, a bunch of deer including a 174" mule deer at 300 yds. Four or five black bears as well. Great bullets. I have since went to a fast twist barrel and 105s for the last several years, and killed a lot of things with it as well. It beats the lighter bullets in the wind past about 250 yds. The 243 is a real killer. Shoot with confidence!

Last edited by atse; 02/06/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

[/quote]
Can I haul a couch in my truck? I got it at a garage sale. What do you think?[/quote]

My guess would be probably not. Your truck may be capable, however.........

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’ve killed half a dozen from 296 to 436 yards with a 6 creedmoor pushing a 90gr Sierra Gamechanger. All had nice exit holes and none made it more than 30 yards.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 71 invisible), 16,749 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,185
Posts18,543,300
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.