Print Thread
Hop To
M
Muffin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
just curious, does anyone here use a password 'manager'???

It seems counterintuitive putting them all in one space...

Or do you use the same one everywhere?

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Roboform is the #1 rated password manager. Have used it for years. Even its encryption is encrypted. You need remember only one master password to have access to everything, and it syncs across multiple devices. It stores passwords, creates passwords, fills forms with stored personal data, and in general just works perfectly all the time.

Personally, I use two or three passwords for "safe" websites like this one, but much more secure passwords for any website that might use personal or financial data. Roboform keeps the complex ones as well as the easy ones. I highly recommend it. LINK

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have so many damn passwords between work and personal stuff that about a year ago I was forced to organize all of them. I changed everything to a few easy-to-recall variations on just 2 master passwords. No problem since, even when it comes to programs at work that force me to change my password regularly and won't let me use old passwords.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I keep them on my profile.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a particular string of text that is, by now, muscle memory for me to type. Then, for each account/organization, I add one particular special character and the first letter of the account's/organization's name. That way, I never need to record them anywhere.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Excel spreadsheet

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Old passwords that I haven’t changed were the odd assembly of upper and lower case letters with numbers & symbols like every one was told to use. They are muscle memory. Now I use an easy to remember phrase with a couple of purposely misspelled words. Supposed to more secure but I don’t think any password is hack proof.
At work we had a password file but nobody remembered the password to get into the file. Now they are on paper in a lockbox.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I just use 8 asterisks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I have a particular string of text that is, by now, muscle memory for me to type. Then, for each account/organization, I add one particular special character and the first letter of the account's/organization's name. That way, I never need to record them anywhere.

This is a method I have used successfully. I chose a base password that meets pretty much every web site criteria, 8 characters, mixed case, letters and numbers, and a special character. Then I append a string to the end for specific web sites. I typically append something like the stock symbol or other memorable thing. Like for Microsoft, it might be the base password+msft. That way, you just remember the base password, and you can have a list of the extensions.

Also, if you are someone who uses the same password for several different web sites, STOP NOW. If that common password gets compromised in a breach, the first thing hackers will do is try that password on a variety of web sites to see if you are using it elsewhere, places like all the major bank sites.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's fine to use the same simple password like Trump2024! on places like the 'Fire, another forum site, your email, etc. But NEVER on your banking site, your credit card account, Amazon, or anywhere else where you have personal/financial data. For those, use as complex a password as you can create. (For which a manager like Roboform is ideal because you can specify the complexity level, length, and more for any password you have it generate.)

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's fine to use the same simple password like Trump2024! on places like the 'Fire, another forum site, your email, etc. But NEVER on your banking site, your credit card account, Amazon, or anywhere else where you have personal/financial data. For those, use as complex a password as you can create. For which a manager like Roboform is ideal because you can specify the complexity level, length, and more for any password you have it generate.

The example I gave above is not a good choice, btw.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have an Apple computer. It comes with a free password manager. It works great and generates bizarre passwords that are unique and pretty much guess proof. It works great for me and automatically stores new passwords, as well as changes that I make.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I use Dashlane.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Most are in my head.

Some people don’t even know their own cell number.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Roboform is the #1 rated password manager. Have used it for years. Even its encryption is encrypted. You need remember only one master password to have access to everything, and it syncs across multiple devices. It stores passwords, creates passwords, fills forms with stored personal data, and in general just works perfectly all the time.

Personally, I use two or three passwords for "safe" websites like this one, but much more secure passwords for any website that might use personal or financial data. Roboform keeps the complex ones as well as the easy ones. I highly recommend it. LINK

This ^

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My policy is to forget most of them and notify the site as such when I need to contact it and set a new one for that site.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

424 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 53 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,398
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.