Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
CTF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Dura Tracks are a great light truck tire.
They are what I wanted to get for my F350 when I got the Duellers.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Funny you mention duratracs. My employer put those on my work rig, studded. They're the worst damn ice tire I've ever driven in the winter. The durometer of the rubber is too hard, they're chunky, with no siping, and all I hear when driving is the sliding of the studs on ice as I slip and slide my way down the road.

I certainly appreciate the expert opinions of those in the lower 48 for telling us what kind of tires work in the winter... "look for the mountain and snowflake"... damn I never thought of that.

I'm going to try to find an excuse to put some Hakka LT3's on the work rig with the company credit card.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
For studs on a 3/4 ton truck, Toyo M55.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper

I have been wanting to try these, but the price and how hard they are (rough riding) from what I have read have kept me from trying them. Do you find they dig through deep snow well. Typically I have to get through deep snow for 2 miles and than on hard packed snow and or ice where the studs would come in handy.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The key to getting through deep snow is to air down a high-profile tire. I have the 85 profile M55's on my relatively small (compared to a full-size truck) 4x4. If I air them down (~12 to 15psi), they get a very long contact patch that gives the best traction short of MattTrax. The low-profile tires are never going to deliver that kind of traction. If you have 60 profile tires on 20" rims, airing them down won't significantly change the contact patch. I have an 3/4 ton 4WD pickup truck too and it also uses 85 profile tires, but it's an older model that has 16" rims. I don't use it for deep snow though because I have the lighter, shorter wheelbase 4x4 that also has differential locks front and rear. The pickup only has one in the rear. My M55's are not studded because I use them year-round. I find them satisfying in deep snow, but marginal on ice without the studs.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
As I said, I have worn out several sets of studded tires driving up here. I don't miss studs for 3 reasons:

1. Throughout the winter we have very few days when studs (or other "ice traction") are actually needed. Yes, we had a couple of days a week or so ago, but they are rare and my Blizzaks worked just fine, even though other cars were ditch-diving all over the place. We need SNOW traction much more often, but you get that with Blizzaks or any good snow tire.

2. During the MANY days throughout the winter that we are driving around on bare pavement, studs actually IMPEDE your stopping ability, because rubber grips the pavement much, much better than steel does. Studs are just wearing out the pavement faster for no reason most of the winter.

Are there a few days when studs are the best way to go? Absolutely, but they are rare and frankly I'd rather just stay off the roads those days anyway because, while I can stop, 1/3 of the people driving can't. Last winter on one of those really bad wet ice days I was the third car leaving Sportsman's Whse crossing Old Seward and nearly got T-boned by an idiot in a pickup going north that could not stop on the ice -- he sailed right through the intersection going 35 mph, all four tires locked up.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
Are there a few days when studs are the best way to go? Absolutely, but they are rare and frankly I'd rather just stay off the roads those days anyway because, while I can stop, 1/3 of the people driving can't. Last winter on one of those really bad wet ice days I was the third car leaving Sportsman's Whse crossing Old Seward and nearly got T-boned by an idiot in a pickup going north that could not stop on the ice -- he sailed right through the intersection going 35 mph, all four tires locked up.

Ive suggested to DOTpuff and local cities that the amber should be longer in the winter to allow more time for stopping. Even at reasonable speeds, it takes longer to stop in the winter than in the summer. Dunno why the "engineers" aren't able to figure that out.

Saturday, with a trailer on, I rolled through a light as it was turning red because I knew there was almost no way to stop by the stop line with out the trailer jack knifing.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mike, we all know that people would just count that extra time into their decision to run the lights. it could be 1 second or 100 and pole would just keep their foot in it and drive right thru.
I'm no fan of "big brother" or new laws, but having red light cameras are about the only thing that would make people slow down. mail them a few tickets and they might start to change their ways.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Wook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You guys don't ever cease to amaze me! Thanks for the replies. I learned it's not easy buying a full set of tires this time of year and want to more fully look into some of the recommendations on here.

Thanks, fellas.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper

I have been wanting to try these, but the price and how hard they are (rough riding) from what I have read have kept me from trying them. Do you find they dig through deep snow well. Typically I have to get through deep snow for 2 miles and than on hard packed snow and or ice where the studs would come in handy.

I ran a couple sets of Toyo M55's on a Duramax 4x4 SRW CC Long bed. They were a little noisy on the highway and marginal on wet or icy roads. They were good on gravel and tough as nails. They'd be incredible winter tires, if studded.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I ran m55 d rated studded tires on the f150 up the Alcan when we moved up (December). While not my favorite tire now, they kept at least one dsmf alive through some things that probably should have at least hurt. A guy could do worse.

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
The nokkians made a believer out of me, 4 winters on an f350 and still going strong. My secret is to put them on a week late and take them off at least a week to soon.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
And stay away from "light weight studs".

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
What are light weight studs? I just go in and have the tires studded. I didn't know there was a difference in toughness.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
What are light weight studs? I just go in and have the tires studded. I didn't know there was a difference in toughness.

They are basically aluminum studs. I've never actually seen them up here, just heard about them.

Every tire shop up here carries factory studded tires in stock, it's rare to find one that will actually stud tires.

Nokian uses carbide diamond shaped studs in their car and light truck tires, and stainless steel studs in the LT3

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Ok Thanks. Never new about aluminum studs.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Johnson tire shop here in Anchorage was advertising "light weight studs" for a number of years. They claimed the weight saving was a benefit. Tried them once and they only lasted one winter, the tires still had lots of tread left but the studs were gone. They were tungsten encased with aluminum not steel.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,741
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.