Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
I put a Timney in my .223 and it really made a difference.
An 8 twist, it simple shoots lights out.
It’s not going to win a beauty contest, but it fits me well and varmints hate it....

I snipped a half coil off the trigger spring on my 6.5cm. Lightened up the triggger. Made a difference.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cluggins
Stocks are often the source of complaints on budget guns. A stock is a handle. As long as that handle doesn't impede accuracy, and in the case of many of the budget guns it doesn't, then whining about a stock is much ado about nothing. It's a damn shame Ruger can't make a functional flush fit magazine.

I disagree. The stock is the interface between the shooter and the barreled action. Factory stocks are usually a one size fits most compromise, but if for some reason it doesn't fit a shooter, that shooter will need to modify or replace the stock to fit him or accommodate himself to the stock. I bought Boyds Heritage style laminated stocks for some of my RAR-Ps that significantly improved how they balanced and fit me, but the cost to upgrade the stocks made me question the value of doing so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
I have a .5.56 Predator with a 16" bbl... not a QUALITY gun by any means, but it will shoot lights out.. .I'd buy another... Never heard of one that was not accurate.

Dad purchased one of the early models on 30-06 when the Americans first came out and later gave it to me. I tried 7-8 different types of factory ammo in it - none shot better than 1-1/2" at 100 and most were worse. I ended up trading it away after Dad passed. Since then I've seen several that shoot very, very well and the stock has been improved. SIL bought a used Predator in 6.5CM and it shoots clovers with factory ammo.

Quality is defined by a a set of requirements and how an item stacks up against those requirements. For a sub-400 dollar rifle the current Americans are excellent rifles IMHO.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I purchased an early RAR in .308. With my usual luck with new purchases, I ended up with a non-MOA shooter. It did not respond to any of Internet fixes that showed up with Google and DuckDuckGo. Eventually I full length, neutral bedded the fore end with 'Good Stuff' expanding foam. That seemed to stabilize groups to MOA for 3 quick shots. Expanding foam was used for bedding the barrel to save weight. The cured foam was painted to minimize moisture absorption and perhaps changing bedding pressure. After a couple of years in variable northeast weather, the foam bedding seems to be a stable and useful fix.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,237
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.