Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by troublesome82
It's all been said already. Looks like mag chloride exposure to me.

Uh, no....

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If it ain't road salt, I could have been living in an area with dirt roads, that got muddy and wasn't washed under the hood very much...

figured that if it was owned by women.....

also spending a lot of time near the ocean, with salt water blowing in off the ocean...

I've seen that on cars here in Oregon and California, of vehicles right on the ocean....people will get rid of a car after 4 or 5 years, because they know body rot is coming....

My folks lived in Hawaii for 28 years.. and have been out there multiple times visiting....

on the north shore of Oahu, they had friends with homes right on the ocean... and had cars that rusted out in just 2 or 3 years, and had between 20K to 25,000 miles on them.....

Rust on that engine, means there is rust coming on the body in short order... that is why it was traded in....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
What does the underside of the hood look like?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks like them seals/gaskets been leaking that oil. Owner thought he was smart and Tried to clean that [bleep] off with purple power, put it on a hot engine, got sick from the fumes, left the purple power still on the engine and went inside. Didn’t even clean it off.

Stripped off all zinc on that metal and it was free to corrode. You’d be good at a serious discount from dealer.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
as others have said, that looks like salt. about every car up this way looks like that after a few years unless you wash under the hood regularly. unless this is a killer deal, i'd steer clear.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Road salt

Ding ding ding

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Road salt
Most likely...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Minnesota is known for the crap it puts on roads and what it does to vehicles. I can’t count the vehicles I’ve hadthru personal and business ownership and never had one look that way particularly with low mileage.
Could be road crap but I think there is more to this than just that.
I have a 79 fj40 that has been thru every kind of heck and they are notorious for rusting, it doesn’t even look like that.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Check the label to see where it was made. If it was made in Japan it would have sat on a pier in both Japan and the US and would have had a long boat trip. Some models are stored there until shipped to a distributor or dealer. So it would have been exposed to salt water for a good deal of time. The components pictured have the lightest corrosion protection so would show premature wear.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I’m thinking it’s been underwater. Whatever actually happened, I’d leave it there. If the electrical connections/components look like that there’ll be nothing but headaches.

I see more and more subdivisions here in Tennessee being built in places that flood. If that car wasn’t taken to a dealership because of it, and there wasn’t an insurance claim, how do you figure Carfax would know about it?

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by HawkI

Uh, no....

Is the corrosion/rust worse on the one side? It appears to be in the pics.

FJB & FJT
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Saltwater, been used on the coast?

I ran my 79 Toyota SR5 up and down Crystal Beach through the washouts and surf after Alicia, a year later that truck was jacked up to the max.

Lesson learned the hard way!

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tnscouter
The carfax does not show any flood or other negative experience. It shows oil changes and service all taking place at the same Tennessee dealership. The local dealer changed the fluids, wipers, and filters. They also changed both front sway bar links before putting it on the lot. Again thanks for the considerations. -tnscouter
I have a good friend that owns a towing service and body shop. I was looking at a car he had for sale. He had repaired collision damage which was paid for by insurance. The Carfax report came up clean with no wrecks reported.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
disclaimer - I haven't read through all of the posts but from the pictures my take on it is flood damage. Take a look at the interior, look at the seat mounts, pull back some carpet and take a look at the floorpan on the inside for rust or silt.

Short answer - I would not buy it even at 1/2 of retail price. As mentioned Carfax does not always show what may have happened to the vehicle.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Road salt

How many people rinse the engine compartment after driving in winter weather?

If it has a hood insulation panel, pull off a few of the retainer clips and see if there is corrosion where the clips hold it against the metal.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by HawkI

Uh, no....

Is the corrosion/rust worse on the one side? It appears to be in the pics.

An over charging battery can do that.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What ever the reason is. I would stay away from this vehicle. Looks like problems ahead. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Looks minty if you live in the northeast

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
How does one get road salt on top of the engine during normal driving? Our salt/snow polwing trucks rot in short order, but do not look like that under the hood.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If that is from the battery, it should be fairly localized, and there should be acid spatter on the underside of the hood too. If not, it looks like road salt corrosion and you will see similar evidence on the undercarraige and the exhaust system fasteners.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1234, 257Bob, 22kHornet, 57 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,594
Posts18,532,480
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.