Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by pointer
All those deer and elk and still screaming for his help...

I can hear them from here...but they are becoming angry at his absence and carrying protest signs that say something about a "Keyboard Commando"....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What are the wolves saying??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Now that I have my Wife's painting up on a billboard... I guess I can go wolf hunting...BUT now it feels like a time crunch to do 80 hrs of driving there and back... while trying to kill wolves for the first time by myself... and then be back ready to work on March 1st. Hmmmm.... as much as I hate it... i guess I will have to try it again next year. Thanks Guys for all your support. May Jesus Bless You All. Dan

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by smokepole

And more importantly, what does the fox say?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by elkchsr
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

OMG, I just about fell over. TFF....😂

I gotta keep my eyes open in the thrift shops now.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That sounds fun

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smokepole

Hallelujah and Pass The Biscuits!.......er, we mean Lambs.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
PS... If anyone out there Loves Jesus and wants to share the Gospel with Lost Souls and wants to sponsor a billboard in their area for a few hundred bucks a month... send me a PM, and we will try to make that happen. Thanks... Jesus Bless You All.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You don't drive a yellow Avalanche by chance do you Dan?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
As a matter of fact... I don't like yellow at all... and I do think the yellow and red looks cheap cheap cheap... BUT the boards have to grab the driver's eye as he passes by... so that was our best and only option. But I do sometimes wear red underwear... but NOT yellow...LOL

Last edited by DanBrothers; 02/10/21.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, I hear ya. Thanks for being a good sport Dan.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I know you Guys think I'm a armchair commando, but let me share some of my background so that you can better understand who I am. I'll start with the video stuff. Back in 1989-93, my Co-Partner.. Wade Nolan and I produced Quest Video Productions ... 23 in all. I was teamed up because of my bowhunting/hunting abilities.. and Wade had the camera producing abilities. Together we made a pretty good team. Now this was back when there was NO TV shows... no YouTube...NOTHING. The only way to watch a hunting show was to go rent a video at a video store or a sporting goods store... and our productions were the best in the industry... that's why I could get so many sponsors involved with us. I was the marketing manger... bowhunter on hand... camera man... off line editor and producer... and all my expenses were paid from the time I left home until I returned home by our boss in Oklahoma. We could go anywhere on his dime and produce videos, that was all the boss wanted... and we did. Below are some pics of a few videos we did. I was in 13 of those videos and became so popular that I even signed an autograph for a guy in the Anchorage Airport. I know it sounds like I'm bragging... and you will probably bash me some more for it... but I'm not... just sharing some stuff to clear up the misconception that I'm all talk instead of walk. My marketing part was FUN because I could get FREE toys from everyone in the industry...Zeiss, Sworvski, Bushnell, Leica, Federal ammo, TC Arms, Mossberg, Old Town, Darton Bows, Coleman, API Treestands... the list goes on and on, and we had a ton of camo clothes and all kinds of stuff... whatever sponsor I called, they sent it...Heck.. I even got a Nortic Trac from them. The Santa Claus UPS truck was always bringing stuff to my house. I hunted with the camera behind a lot of people for their first time on camera.... Tom Drury, Dave Watson, Bob Foulkrod, Dickie Betts, Jerry Peterson, Paul Meeks, and many others that I can't think of right now. Heck... I was the first one to do Solo-Video hunting kill scenes... nobody did it before me...and I had to do it with a full size Beta Max video camera that the Newsmen always carry. I use to pull a $40.000 camera up 20 ft in a tree on a 2 dollar rope... and then another rope for the tripod, and another rope for my bow and fanny pack... plus I carried all this into the woods with a treestand on my back with ten screw in steps. Looking back I don't know how I did it all. I've solo killed several deer... several hogs... one black bear in Canada... and 3 caribou in Canada. I could of easily done turkeys but I got tired of chasing then during productions. Now... everyone is a camera killing hero. I wish I had today's stuff back then.
One picture below shows a barren ground caribou in Alaska, that I shot at 125 yds.... believe it or not...it happened The other pics shows me on a spring bear hunt in Colorado in 1985...and I killed a nice cinnamon bear. I even killed a Sika Blacktail deer on Kodiak Island with my bow...only 50 yds..LOL. I've been shooting a bow since I was 5 yrs old. I have a ton of first place trophies from 3-D Tournaments... I pictured one below for kicks and giggles... my wife says there's 30-40 more boxed away.
Several years in a row in Nov-Dec I drove my van out West for coyotes, and spent every night in it...even a few nights in Montana with -20 temps at night... and without my heater turned on...I never used it... too pussy-like to do that...LOL.
Been from New Mexico to Montana, and shot my share of them... but these wolves is what turns me on now.
I'll stop running my head for now. Thanks so much for putting up with my crazy wolf hunting ideas and over excitement.
May Jesus Bless You All in Many Ways. Dan

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dan are you going out west to wolf hunt this winter 2020-2021 ? myself once i am healed up from my back surgery by this spring 2021 and start getting back in sharp , i plan on wolf hunting next fall 2021 in the mountains using my caller and my hand calls too with my 257 Weatherby Mag. . i wish you luck if you still decide to go on your wolf hunt . Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Pete.... first of all... that sure is a GOOD caliber rifle. I have a 25/06, but the 257 Weatherby is the Cat's Meow. I was totally planning on going this last Jan... but NOT.. as it turns out... so... I'm planning and hoping and praying that next year I will get to go out there and chase those buggers for a month or two. Lord Willing that is. If I do... I will be praying that I can shoot enough wolves to make up for this lost year..LOL.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dan, that sounds great for you i just need one or 2 wolf hides ,if my back turned out real good buy the end of May i still have a chance to head too Alaska next fall too in September with family member on a moose hunt. but that`s a long shot ,because my wife , daughter and son are against the Alaska hunt next fall ? dang it !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by DanBrothers
I hunted with the camera behind a lot of people for their first time on camera.... Tom Drury, Dave Watson, Bob Foulkrod, Dickie Betts, Jerry Peterson, Paul Meeks, and many others that I can't think of right now. Heck... I was the first one to do Solo-Video hunting kill scenes... nobody did it before me...and I had to do it with a full size Beta Max video camera that the Newsmen always carry. I

Gordon Eastman was filming solo hunts in the 60's. High, Wild and Free was a classic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
125 yard bow shot on a caribou.....did you get that on video?

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I which I had gotten that shot on video. I was with Wade Nolan, Gary Beaton, and Bob Kirschner on that hunt in Alaska. There seemed to be NO caribou in the area. The country was so wide open and flat, that you could see for miles. On our third morning there, I spotted a bedded bull up on top of a hill. The four of us decided to spread out and circle it for a shot from downwind. I was far out on the right and ended up sneaking straight up on a head on collision with it. I got within 40 yds of his antlers only being in view, when suddenly he stood up and stared right at me. I drew back with the knowing that this bull is dead with my arrow going straight into his chest and to his tail.... especially knowing that I could hit his chest dead center because that was way bigger than a golf ball size target that I could hit at that distance. I released the arrow and watched it miss as it flew straight down his right side. To my disbelief, I released another arrow that did the exact same thing. While standing there in Major disbelief and awe at two clean misses... he started running around me, going down hill. I took off running after him trying to head him off, and when I came around a corner, there is Gary Beaton aiming his rifle at the bull standing broadside on another small rise. I yelled.." Wait Gary, don't shoot, give me one more shot before you do" He said okay and lowered his rifle. My furthest bow sight pin was 50 yds, and that was where I practiced at all the time. The bull was way over there and I had no idea what to do. I may of said Lord help me...I don't know.... but I knew I couldn't do it by myself, that was for sure. Anyways... I drew back and aimed over it's back and kept raising the pin until it felt right... when it did.. I released it and we watched the arrow going straight towards it's chest, but suddenly drifted way left again and it hit dead center of it's rear ham. I told Gary...Don't shoot...I got him. We just stood there watching the bull walk in small circles getting weaker and weaker while looking at that arrow stuck it it's butt. He finally laid down and died from a loss of blood... rather quickly to our surprise. When I finally came back to my sense from all the fast and excited action, I pulled out the old time ranger finder made by Ranging, and the only kind on the market in those days. It was the type where you turn a dial and when the two images came together into focus.. that was the range... anyways... it said roughly plus or minus 125 yds. I didn't care how far it was, I was just happy that I got a bull with my bow in a area that seemed to be empty of caribou. Wade took that picture you see. While telling him and Bob about the un-thought of misses with all my arrows flying way to the left... Bob says..."Dan, you must have not been holding to the right with that 25-30 mph right cross wind". DUH... I couldn't believe it... how stupid of me not to take that into consideration... but then again... in my part of the South East... we NEVER even think about cross winds of any type... Wow...lesson learned there. That was the August of 1990, and we didn't even take a video camera at all, because of doing so much video stuff from deer to turkeys all year.... we just went for a fun hunt. I think Wade was the only one with a camera...Bob may have... I forgot. The thing I remember most about that hunt was the 1000's of white Ptarmigans birds everywhere. I shot so many with my blunt arrow heads that Bob started calling my Ptarmigan Dan...LOL. We all ate our share. I'd LOVE to back this August....WHO wants to go??????

PS... I was also the first one to Solo-Kill hogs with a pellet rifle on camera and post them on Youtube. Two videos can be seen below. It wasn't long after my post that Gamo and other air rifle companies had all their Heros shoot hogs as well... but not Solo.... and mostly over bait or on a preserve... not wild and freerange hogs while stalking them through the woods.. Now pellet air rifles are not air rifles in the sense that pellet rifles are only .177, .22 or .25 caliber... while air rifles are ball slugs from 9mm to 54 cal. Those are not Pellet air rifles....but more of a slug rifle or muzzle loader... which are way my powerful than a pellet rifle.

I guess I better stop blabbing for now... but thanks for listening.

I'm not trying to stur up trouble or make anyone mad... I'm just me... I can't help that.... you might have to take me with a grain of salt... my Wife has to sometimes...LOL. Thank you for being patient with me, because sometimes it's hard to be me...LOL.

May Jesus Richly Bless You All in Many Ways. Dan

These hogs are not very big... but I was happy with my first few pellet rifle kills. I'm sure it would take down bigger ones. I should get off my butt and go after some more because there are some only 10 miles down the road. My camera is on top of my rifle and all the kill stuff was videoed first... then I went back and re-inacted the beginning action of the hunt with the camera mounted to a tree. Everything is True... just shot in two parts.

PS again...Edit... after re-watching those videos I realized that I WAY over estimated the weight on those hogs. Those two surely weren't more than 40 lbs. The reason i boned them out was because I was a tad over a mile back in the swampy woods and there was not using dragging them home whole and then have to find a place to discard of the carcasses.... so I did my normal routine on the spot. I always have that two part carry bag in my pack... it's there right now. I got started doing that with caribou in Quebec. Now I do everything that I can that way.
I also had a small pocket size camera/video camera in my pack for doing all those other video scenes, other than the kill scene.

I can take ANYONE to those spots tomorrow to hunt hogs if you want too... BUT... hopefully you can turn me onto Wolves as well...LOL. Quid Pro Quo

[img]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfM...verified=1&ab_channel=DanielBrothers[/img]

[img]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5BNNfOJTlk&t=4s&ab_channel=DanielBrothers[/img]

Last edited by DanBrothers; 02/12/21.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DanBrothers
Bob Kirschner

Blast from the past......

Met Bob a time or two in bear camp in Canada.

He held the camp record for the largest bear ever taken for several years.

I broke it......

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Who is this...LOL... ? I've heard Bob tell many stories over the years. He said he also shared a camp with Fred Bear. I have his cell ... do you want to call him with a surprise...LOL...?

Last edited by DanBrothers; 02/13/21.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

314 members (1lesfox, 1badf350, 160user, 21, 12344mag, 10ring1, 32 invisible), 1,838 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,080
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.