Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by tnscouter
The carfax does not show any flood or other negative experience. It shows oil changes and service all taking place at the same Tennessee dealership. The local dealer changed the fluids, wipers, and filters. They also changed both front sway bar links before putting it on the lot. Again thanks for the considerations. -tnscouter
I have a good friend that owns a towing service and body shop. I was looking at a car he had for sale. He had repaired collision damage which was paid for by insurance. The Carfax report came up clean with no wrecks reported.

Yep, Carfax only works if the repairs are reported to car fax.

My buddy had a Chevy Aveo. His son put it through a ditch and ripped the front suspension out from under it and deployed the airbags. Insurance would have totaled the car, but they only carried liability.

He purchased everything he needed to rebuild the vehicle from E-bay. Airbags and sensors, complete front end clip, front suspension. He welded the suspension back onto the car in his garage, and put it back together. Then took it to an alignment shop.

It has a clean title and zero marks against it on Car-fax.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm with the "It's been flooded" group. There's probably 2 fuse panels. One in the cab and a 2nd under the hood. Just pull the covers off of them, if there's corrosion, run away fast. Electrical gremlins due to flooding are a never-ending, never-fixed headache unless you completely re-wire the entire car, every system.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably run up and down the beach on the Outer Banks.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Osky
Minnesota is known for the crap it puts on roads and what it does to vehicles. I can’t count the vehicles I’ve hadthru personal and business ownership and never had one look that way particularly with low mileage.
Could be road crap but I think there is more to this than just that.
I have a 79 fj40 that has been thru every kind of heck and they are notorious for rusting, it doesn’t even look like that.

Osky

I think you're right. More to the story. I've never seen rust that bad under the hood on a car with so few miles.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by badger
If that is from the battery, it should be fairly localized, and there should be acid spatter on the underside of the hood too. If not, it looks like road salt corrosion and you will see similar evidence on the undercarraige and the exhaust system fasteners.

Agreed. Hence my question above. The pics shown, seem to indicate the corrosion is localized.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Originally Posted by Osky
Minnesota is known for the crap it puts on roads and what it does to vehicles. I can’t count the vehicles I’ve hadthru personal and business ownership and never had one look that way particularly with low mileage.
Could be road crap but I think there is more to this than just that.
I have a 79 fj40 that has been thru every kind of heck and they are notorious for rusting, it doesn’t even look like that.

Osky

I think you're right. More to the story. I've never seen rust that bad under the hood on a car with so few miles.

+4
I'm a Michigan lifer and I have never seen road salt corrosion that looked like that. The spatter on the exhaust shield does not look right. There is something else going on here.

405wcf

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Someone already said battery issue. Maybe someone crossed poles and blew up a battery, jumping someone!

Last edited by Heym06; 02/10/21.
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Does that southern state near the Gulf of Mexico?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This mystery will never be solved by me. We nixed that car and are pressing on. The dealer insists the car is in great mechanical shape and that condition is a non issue that they'll resolve with a steam clean. I don't waste time on stuff like that. Thanks for all your thoughts. It would be satisfying to know what happened. -tnscouter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tnscouter
The dealer insists the car is in great mechanical shape and that condition is a non issue that they'll resolve with a steam clean. I . -tnscouter

Classic example of why people hate car dealers and car salemen. That chit is WAY beyond salvaging by a steam clean.

I would rather someone beat me with a stick than make me go to a car lot.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good move.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Heym06
Someone already said battery issue. Maybe someone crossed poles and blew up a battery, jumping someone!

With the hood open so there would be no indication on the underside of the hood.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,993
Posts18,520,295
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.