Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

If some clown does that to one of my rifles they needn't worry about the rifle firing, I will go off in a very nasty way and make my feelings on the matter known in an extremely memorable manner.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
J Stuart the above posts are why americans have so many guns they are so busy trying to make them unsafe and then destroy them making sure they are safe. I don't think any of the above would be allowed to handle one of my firearms other than tinman.. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Once again it’s time for Stick to cue up the scope drop test and rifle break in videos.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
By promising myself to never load the rifle and pound the butt on the ground while looking down at the muzzle, I feel I have eliminated the need for any drop test. I have three Model 70 target rifles, all will fire if I hit the butt on floor. The cure? I don't load the rifle and hit the butt on the floor. Since this scenario is something which would never occur at the range, I don't feel I am remiss in skipping it. I also do not drop my customer's rifles on the floor. If they want to drop them, they are welcome to do so at home. GD

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Maybe ask Jim in Idaho. Didn’t he do a scope drop test? Why not fugg something else up.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JDinCO
Want to know if the safety is good or there won't be a negligent discharge? Hold that rifle two feet up and SLAM that sucker on its butt on concrete. Now if you don't want to do that, keep the chamber clear until it is time to shoot.

That's fair. If the firing pin moved, increase the pull weight and drop again.

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
To comment on the posts about hunting with the clear/empty chamber, I have to assume that you do not hunt where large brown bears are frequently at very short distances. With a bear charging you from 30 yards, you will be lucky to get off 2 aimed shots with a bolt action rifle, IF there is already a round in the chamber for the first shot. In my hunting situation, especially alone walking in the Carpathian forests, I will have a round in the chamber. RJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is always two ways to look at things - when guiding clients in Alaska for brown bear in the willows, as well as following up wild boar with my dog, I always carry (carried for the bear) my rifle with four rounds in the magazine, chamber empty. One flick of the bolt and ready to go.

Just my way of doing it and best of luck in all you adventures.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Ready, I am sure you "flick" a bolt faster than my 73 year old azz.. RJ

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rj308
Pre-2008 Winchester M70, adjusted to a 2 pound pull weight, consistently failed when the rifle was dropped at a height of 12" on a tile floor with a 1/4" rug.

I'm an amateur tinkerer, so take my .02 for what's it's worth, but your report doesn't surprise me at all.

I'd never set an open M70 trigger that light and have found most M70's need to be in the 2.75b range to pass a drop test (if just adjusted "as is" from the factory - ie, no sear polishing/work or spring replacement).

I always drop them from around 2' onto concrete to test since it seems like a more real world test than carpet.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
To comment on the posts about hunting with the clear/empty chamber, I have to assume that you do not hunt where large brown bears are frequently at very short distances. With a bear charging you from 30 yards, you will be lucky to get off 2 aimed shots with a bolt action rifle, IF there is already a round in the chamber for the first shot. In my hunting situation, especially alone walking in the Carpathian forests, I will have a round in the chamber. RJ

I specifically said that it was a different discussion but if you must know: you assumed wrong.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I would however, bet my left nut I can work a bolt faster than many can work a safety.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You would lose the left one

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Brad
Pre-2008 Winchester M70, adjusted to a 2 pound pull weight, consistently failed when the rifle was dropped at a height of 12" on a tile floor with a 1/4" rug.

I'm an amateur tinkerer, so take my .02 for what's it's worth, but your report doesn't surprise me at all.

I'd never set an open M70 trigger that light and have found most M70's need to be in the 2.75b range to pass a drop test (if just adjusted "as is" from the factory - ie, no sear polishing/work or spring replacement).

I always drop them from around 2' onto concrete to test since it seems like a more real world test than carpet.

Hell, Brad, how many concrete floors do you come across when you're hunting? If I'm going to slide down a scree slope, I probably don't have a shell in the chamber. Just like when I'm driving in the truck or climbing over a fence. GD

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by greydog

Hell, Brad, how many concrete floors do you come across when you're hunting? If I'm going to slide down a scree slope, I probably don't have a shell in the chamber. Just like when I'm driving in the truck or climbing over a fence. GD

How many pieces of carpet or rubber matting do you find in the backcountry? Seems to me concrete is a better real world test. How about your criteria?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Brad, you are correct that a concrete floor is a better test, And brother, I assure you that I am not calling you a liar. I honestly believe no Winchester M70 with the original factory open type trigger adjusted to 2.75 pounds, will pass a drop test of 2 feet (with the safety in the "fire" position) on a concrete floor. Of testing 4 of these rifles,I have never got one to pass with a pull weight of 3 pounds dropped at 1 foot on a concrete floor with a rug about 3/8" thick. And 3 pounds is 3 pounds whether the sear is polished or not. RJ

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

You would lose the left one

OK.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Brad, you are correct that a concrete floor is a better test, And brother, I assure you that I am not calling you a liar. I honestly believe no Winchester M70 with the original factory open type trigger adjusted to 2.75 pounds, will pass a drop test of 2 feet (with the safety in the "fire" position) on a concrete floor. Of testing 4 of these rifles,I have never got one to pass with a pull weight of 3 pounds dropped at 1 foot on a concrete floor with a rug about 3/8" thick. And 3 pounds is 3 pounds whether the sear is polished or not. RJ

I don't mind being challenged at all, and I'm often wrong. I haven't done a drop test in a long time and going by a faulty memory, so it might be 16"... dunno smile

I've got to believe what recoil pad you have on your rifle makes a difference. Mine typically have 1" Decelerator's. I'd have to believe a hard, thin factory pad would make a huge difference.

But of course those saying you should have an empty chamber are correct - but the truth of the matter is if I'm on a bull's track, I'm carrying hot.

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
2 of the rifles had factory recoil pads, 90's guns, the other 2 had a 1/2" Pachmayr Decelerator pads, one in a Lone Wolf stock and one in a Mc Edge. I was really surprised how easily they failed a drop test, non standardized or not. I still own only one of the 4 of those riffles, a New Haven SS Featherweight 308 in the McMillan stock. I'm done messing with those stupid triggers. I will replace it with a mid-pivoting design aftermarket trigger. I also own and use regularly a BACO S.C. M70 SS Featherweight 30-06. I've never had a problem with that MOA trigger set at 2 lbs. Saweeet!, and it passes the drop test with flying colors RJ

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G

How many pieces of carpet or rubber matting do you find in the backcountry? Seems to me concrete is a better real world test. How about your criteria?

As I have stated before, I think the entire concept is ludicrous. In the real world people do not load their rifles then pound them on the ground. The Winchester trigger design is such that inertia can fire the rifle if the trigger is set light enough or the rifle strikes the ground hard enough, it will fire. So what? Just don't pound your loaded rifle on the ground while staring into the muzzle and you should be alright.
I had been gunsmithing for twenty years before I even knew some people liked to bounce their Model 70's on the floor to test the triggers. I knew that a model 70, due to the inertia of the trigger piece, could fire is you whacked the butt hard enough. This tendency was exacerbated if you were one of those guys who liked to hang a trigger shoe on your trigger. I had never tried bouncing them on the floor and still consider it to be a stupid test. I have one model 70 on which the trigger was set at 14 ounces. I tried it and it would trip at eight inches but not at six. The thing is, I could slam the bolt as much as I wanted, flip the safety on and off all I wanted and it would never fire unless I applied fourteen ounces of pressure to the trigger. The drop test, perhaps of some academic interest, was, otherwise, absolutely meaningless. I later set that trigger up to 2 pounds when I decided to uniform all my target rifle triggers ( except for the 2 oz ones). I have not dropped it since but I reckon I could gain some height if I did. GD

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

As I have stated before, I think the entire concept is ludicrous. In the real world people do not load their rifles then pound them on the ground. The Winchester trigger design is such that inertia can fire the rifle if the trigger is set light enough or the rifle strikes the ground hard enough, it will fire. So what? Just don't pound your loaded rifle on the ground while staring into the muzzle and you should be alright.
I had been gunsmithing for twenty years before I even knew some people liked to bounce their Model 70's on the floor to test the triggers. I knew that a model 70, due to the inertia of the trigger piece, could fire is you whacked the butt hard enough. This tendency was exacerbated if you were one of those guys who liked to hang a trigger shoe on your trigger. I had never tried bouncing them on the floor and still consider it to be a stupid test. I have one model 70 on which the trigger was set at 14 ounces. I tried it and it would trip at eight inches but not at six. The thing is, I could slam the bolt as much as I wanted, flip the safety on and off all I wanted and it would never fire unless I applied fourteen ounces of pressure to the trigger. The drop test, perhaps of some academic interest, was, otherwise, absolutely meaningless. I later set that trigger up to 2 pounds when I decided to uniform all my target rifle triggers ( except for the 2 oz ones). I have not dropped it since but I reckon I could gain some height if I did. GD

Well Bill, that's all I wanted to hear. I'd never read your thoughts on the matter. Thank you, that's helpful.

And since I consider you to be one of the top M70 smiths I know of I'll take your word on it!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,085
Posts18,521,874
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.