Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Could I expect this to shoot the 39gr BlitzKings & 40gr Berger’s reasonably well?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You'd be hard pressed to make it shoot bad. If you are concerned about twist rate, you shouldn't be, as a 1 in 10 will stabilize those pills just fine. If it were a 1 in 12, I'd be concerned about the 40gr berger not stabilizing. Your question is also borderline rhetorical, but got an answer, nonetheless.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You'd be hard pressed to make it shoot bad. If you are concerned about twist rate, you shouldn't be, as a 1 in 10 will stabilize those pills just fine. If it were a 1 in 12, I'd be concerned about the 40gr berger not stabilizing.

You could have stopped right there ^^^^

Your last comment
Your question is also borderline rhetorical, but got an answer, nonetheless.
was unnecessary

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Years ago I built an upper on a whiteOak 204 barrel.

It shot really well, but the problem was it was SO FUN TO SHOOT... Zero recoil.

I routinely let my friends shoot it at the range, and each one walked away with perma-grin.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 02/12/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RickyBobby

You'd be hard pressed to make it shoot bad. If you are concerned about twist rate, you shouldn't be, as a 1 in 10 will stabilize those pills just fine. If it were a 1 in 12, I'd be concerned about the 40gr berger not stabilizing.

Your last comment
was unnecessary

Anyone who has shot a WOA knows they shoot. The question is/was rhetorical in the most literal sense.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Your last comment
was unnecessary

^^^THIS^^^

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone who has shot a WOA knows they shoot. The question is/was rhetorical in the most literal sense.

THIS question
Could I expect this to shoot the 39gr BlitzKings & 40gr Berger’s reasonably well?

is not rhetorical in any sense.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Never heard of these White Oak brand before. Had some 204 bolt guns have had an interest in 204 AR ummm..
Are the barrels their own or ???

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ldholton
Never heard of these White Oak brand before. Had some 204 bolt guns have had an interest in 204 AR ummm..

Not sure who makes the blanks but the guy that turns and chambers them at White Oak is highly regarded. I have a 223 Wylde barrel from them, and it is a really nice barrel. I wouldn't hesitate to get another from them.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Might be just me but I would pass on a 26" barrel AR.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

White Oak is one of the big names in precision AR’s but I agree with MontanaCreekHunter I personally wouldn’t want a 26” barreled AR and it isn’t necessary in a .204 Ruger chambering.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

White Oak is one of the big names in precision AR’s but I agree with MontanaCreekHunter I personally wouldn’t want a 26” barreled AR and it isn’t necessary in a .204 Ruger chambering.

I have several bolt guns chambered in .204 with various length barrels and my 26” is by far the best ... this will also be for a night hunting rig mounted on a tripod while being used ... little extra weight won’t hurt a dang thing ... might even be a little help

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
To me it would be more about how it would balance and carry than the weight but if it fits what you like it should be a great shooter for you.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I had an upper that I barreled with a 26" 204 Ruger shilen barrel of about the same contour as the one in the picture. It shot fine but was very nose heavy and a pain to carry, it also didn't feed well. It turns out that the 204 isn't a real good choice for AR's because the long case changes the feed angle and can cause feeding problems, mine didn't feed well. I've since pulled the 204 barrel and put a 22" 223 barrel on it from Compass Lake Engineering. It's much more pleasant to carry now.

Meanwhile I was still fascinated by 20 calibers and have built a couple of 20 practicals which I like a lot more than the 204 ruger. The 204 suffers from expensive brass, gave me feed problems, and doesn't do anything the 20 practical won't. The 20 practicals are great to shoot, they shoot every bit as well as the 204 (better actually) and the brass is dirt cheap, something I like when I'm carrying 500 rounds for each rifle on a prairie dog hunt.

If I was building another 20 caliber AR it'd be a 20 practical, not a 204 Ruger, and it'd have at most a 24" barrel, more likely a 22".

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I had an upper that I barreled with a 26" 204 Ruger shilen barrel of about the same contour as the one in the picture. It shot fine but was very nose heavy and a pain to carry, it also didn't feed well. It turns out that the 204 isn't a real good choice for AR's because the long case changes the feed angle and can cause feeding problems, mine didn't feed well. I've since pulled the 204 barrel and put a 22" 223 barrel on it from Compass Lake Engineering. It's much more pleasant to carry now.

Meanwhile I was still fascinated by 20 calibers and have built a couple of 20 practicals which I like a lot more than the 204 ruger. The 204 suffers from expensive brass, gave me feed problems, and doesn't do anything the 20 practical won't. The 20 practicals are great to shoot, they shoot every bit as well as the 204 (better actually) and the brass is dirt cheap, something I like when I'm carrying 500 rounds for each rifle on a prairie dog hunt.

If I was building another 20 caliber AR it'd be a 20 practical, not a 204 Ruger, and it'd have at most a 24" barrel, more likely a 22".

Interesting Crow hunter. I have never owned a 20 Practical but I do have two 204 Ruger's, neither of them have had any feeding issues. One has about 450 rounds through it and the other only about a 100 so far. I agree 100% on the brass issue, but maybe not in todays climate. The 240 Ruger does have an advantage for some in that you can buy factory ammo. Again this maybe a wash in this climate as well. Personally I don't think one could really go all that wrong with either. The 204 Ruger is fun to shoot and soft on hides. Maybe I need to build a 20 practical now?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 38 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.