Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I am currently looking at scoping a very clean, possibly unfired, H&R topper in 30-30. I want to use a period correct piece of glass, anything big and heavy would just be a shame.

I've been offered a Burris Fullfield gloss in 4 power, and a Leupold M8 gloss in the same magnification. Either would look great, and both are roughly the same price. Is there any glaring reason to pick one over the other?

Last edited by liliysdad; 02/12/21.
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You won't go wrong, either way.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Both are great scopes. The Leupold is going to weigh 3-4 oz less.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mark shubert
You won't go wrong, either way.

x2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
All else equal, even with the added weight, I'd go Burris every time...why? In an accurate rifle, move dial a couple clicks...the bullet hole moves correspondingly. Big deal? No, eventually you will get the Leupold where you want it, and then it will be fine. But it just seems wrong to have to fire 15 or 20 rounds to zero a scope. In the meantime, the little bird of self doubt is tweeting in your ear, "did I muff that shot, or has the erector failed to respond to the dial changes?"

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
HR toppers are not old guns. What do you mean by "period correct"? I have a SS 6x on my Henry single shot and it works great and balances great.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
For myself I'd stick with the leupold, no question. Easier to sell if you ever go that way, and they are light and tough. No dialing with a topper so set and forget is not an issue.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by sbhooper
HR toppers are not old guns. What do you mean by "period correct"? I have a SS 6x on my Henry single shot and it works great and balances great.

1977 is not what I consider "modern," but to each their own. Im absolutely not strapping a SS on top of a gun that might weigh 6lbs to begin with.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I’d take the Burris. There are a lot of used Leupolds out there. I don’t see that many used Burris 4x scopes for sale.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I’d take the Burris. There are a lot of used Leupolds out there. I don’t see that many used Burris 4x scopes for sale.

This is the route i decided to take. I knew the Leupold would be the more popular choice, but something about the older Burris stuff just speaks to me.

I do like being a little weird at times, as well. I can't explain why this little rifle interests me at all, but it does...maybe it's because it's weird, too.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
All else equal, even with the added weight, I'd go Burris every time...why? In an accurate rifle, move dial a couple clicks...the bullet hole moves correspondingly. Big deal? No, eventually you will get the Leupold where you want it, and then it will be fine. But it just seems wrong to have to fire 15 or 20 rounds to zero a scope. In the meantime, the little bird of self doubt is tweeting in your ear, "did I muff that shot, or has the erector failed to respond to the dial changes?"

As long time Leupold fans my peer group would use 2 people for the initial sight in.

Shooter would shoot the rifle over a steady rest and sand bags. After the shot he would look through the scope and have an accomplice steer the cross hairs to the bullet hole with e adjustments.

Then shoot a group and make any minor corrections.

If you needed more than 6 shots to zero you just were not paying attention.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Burris 4X fullfield I bought new in 1984 and it has been dead nuts reliable and lived on several known scope breaking rifles. Very good scope in my book

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Originally Posted by flintlocke

As long time Leupold fans my peer group would use 2 people for the initial sight in.

Shooter would shoot the rifle over a steady rest and sand bags. After the shot he would look through the scope and have an accomplice steer the cross hairs to the bullet hole with e adjustments.

Then shoot a group and make any minor corrections.

If you needed more than 6 shots to zero you just were not paying attention.

This is an easy way to sight in any scope. I do it by myself sometimes with very sturdy rest.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Either one is a good choice for the H&R 30-30. This was my son's first deer rifle and has worn an older B&L made Bushnell Banner 4X the whole time. It is a great match for that rifle. The Burris or Leupold 4X would be even better.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (257robertsimp, 1minute, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,541
Posts18,472,864
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.