Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I'm thinking of rebarreling a Martini Cadet to 7-30 Waters.

It has already been altered with the armory barrel rechambered to 32 Win Spl., and doesn't shoot (or extract) well with anything I've tried in it.

Anybody here have experience with rebarreling a Cadet to Waters or 30-30, and fitting a peep of some sort? Any lessons or advice?

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 02/13/21.
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You asked for advice and experience...I'm offering opinion. The Martini Cadet was designed and built to be a diminutive delight in mild "rook" cartridges. There is the radius of the breechblock (long rounds need to be shoehorned into the chamber), there is the lack of wall thickness in the barrel/chamber juncture, enter pressure numbers and cartridge base diameter, there is the issue of altering the extractor to fit the selected chambering. I do not see the point. Yes, you can put a Mopar hemi in a VW, the question being, is the best use for the hemi? Is it the best use for the VW? In the end it's your rifle, your decision...if you make your Cadet into a deer rifle, like all compromises, it may do both jobs but neither job really well.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7 TCU Might be a better option

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP

Why?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bob Snapp, who was the Cadet custom rifle guru, used a Cadet in 7x30 Waters as his deer rifle, so it can be made to work fine. The action istself is very strong. The issues are access to the chamber (Mr. Snapp mounted an extended eye relief scope, which removed the problem of fumbling under the scope to load and unload the rifle) and, the Cadet's weakest point, which is the relatively thin portion of the chamber under the barrel threads, which can cause expansion of those the portion of the chamber under those threads when high pressure loads are fired. The .30-30 family, which includes the 7x30, operates (at least in factory level loads - hot rodders may not get the same results) at a low enough pressure that it doesn't create that problem. The .222 family works because the case diameter is smaller, providing thicker walls under the barrel threads.

I spoke at length with Mr. Snapp about the potential to build a stalking rifle on the Cadet action and he was very supportive of the idea. You do need to bush the breech face and install a reduced diameter firing pin, as you'll get primer flow into the firing pin hole in the breech face, locking the action up tight, from both the .30-30 family and the .222 family if you don't. I found that out when I bought a Cadet chambered for a .20 caliber wildcat on a blown out .218 Bee case. Got about 3300 fps with lighter weight bullets, but my first shot locked the breech block up tight. I sent it to Mr. Snapp, who told me he put it in a vice, had his wife lean on the lever and used a wooden dowel with a hammer driving it to force the breech block down and shear the extruded primer off.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Remington40x
Bob Snapp, who was the Cadet custom rifle guru, used a Cadet in 7x30 Waters as his deer rifle, so it can be made to work fine. The action istself is very strong. The issues are access to the chamber (Mr. Snapp mounted an extended eye relief scope, which removed the problem of fumbling under the scope to load and unload the rifle) and, the Cadet's weakest point, which is the relatively thin portion of the chamber under the barrel threads, which can cause expansion of those the portion of the chamber under those threads when high pressure loads are fired. The .30-30 family, which includes the 7x30, operates (at least in factory level loads - hot rodders may not get the same results) at a low enough pressure that it doesn't create that problem. The .222 family works because the case diameter is smaller, providing thicker walls under the barrel threads.

I spoke at length with Mr. Snapp about the potential to build a stalking rifle on the Cadet action and he was very supportive of the idea. You do need to bush the breech face and install a reduced diameter firing pin, as you'll get primer flow into the firing pin hole in the breech face, locking the action up tight, from both the .30-30 family and the .222 family if you don't. I found that out when I bought a Cadet chambered for a .20 caliber wildcat on a blown out .218 Bee case. Got about 3300 fps with lighter weight bullets, but my first shot locked the breech block up tight. I sent it to Mr. Snapp, who told me he put it in a vice, had his wife lean on the lever and used a wooden dowel with a hammer driving it to force the breech block down and shear the extruded primer off.

Now THAT is some helpful information. Need for a bushed and smaller firing pin in particular. Thanks!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser

Why?

The 7TCU is based on the 223 Rem case and thus it has a much smaller case diameter than any of the rounds based on the 30-30 case. That will allow for more metal around the chamber area, and also with it being a much smaller case overall, it might be easier to load and unload in the Martini. The smaller 222/223 family case head also imparts less pressure back against the breech block upon firing. Same reasoning why T/C could chamber high intensity rounds like the 223 Rem in their original Contender handguns and why they wouldn't chamber rounds like the 7mm-08 in the Contender. Yes, the 7-30 Waters isn't in the same PSI league as the 7mm-0-8 but a 7mmTCU would come close to equaling the ballistics of the 7-30 Waters in a rifle. John Haviland out of Missoula wrote an article for Wolfe Publications about loading for the 7TCU in a rifle. It appeared in either Rifle or Handloader magazine and I have a copy somewhere...

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I took my 310 Martini and barreled it and made it into a 357 maximum. Works very well with extend eye relief scope. It kills deer with ease if I do my part.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evening, I've had a few, two hornets, and an improved hornet, and one 218 bee. All we're a lot of fun!!! I always thought a martini in 6.8 or 6mm x 6.8 or maybe 22 or 6mm ppc would be fun. Rimmed rounds are easier for extractor mods. 357 or 357 max, maybe neck the max down to your favourite caliber??? 30-30 shortened & necked down?? I always wanted one in 17x357, a sorta rimmed fireball. Lots of options, keep us posted. Bill out. πŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Why?

Just thinking that it would be easier to feed and eject. I have a 17 Ackley Hornet and a 20X223 Improved and have friends that have several other cartridge configurations. Slimmer shorter cartridges are easier to fed and eject if you have any intention of mounting a standard eye relief scope. For other sighting options like scout scopes or peep sights might not matter.

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 02/13/21.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you do decide to go with a .222 case family wildcat, let me suggest something built on a 5.6x50 Magnum or the earlier rimmed version, the 5.6x50R. That will give you the maximum capacity in a .222 family case. Something necked to .25. 6.5 mm or .284 would make a great 200 yard deer rifle.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Remington40x
Something necked to .25. 6.5 mm or .284 would make a great 200 yard deer rifle.

Or left alone in .22 would make a good deer rifle, with proper bullets.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN

Why?

The 7TCU is based on the 223 Rem case and thus it has a much smaller case diameter than any of the rounds based on the 30-30 case. That will allow for more metal around the chamber area, and also with it being a much smaller case overall, it might be easier to load and unload in the Martini. The smaller 222/223 family case head also imparts less pressure back against the breech block upon firing. Same reasoning why T/C could chamber high intensity rounds like the 223 Rem in their original Contender handguns and why they wouldn't chamber rounds like the 7mm-08 in the Contender. Yes, the 7-30 Waters isn't in the same PSI league as the 7mm-0-8 but a 7mmTCU would come close to equaling the ballistics of the 7-30 Waters in a rifle. John Haviland out of Missoula wrote an article for Wolfe Publications about loading for the 7TCU in a rifle. It appeared in either Rifle or Handloader magazine and I have a copy somewhere...

Well heck, why don't I just build a fast twist (1-in-9) .223 and whack everything up to mossy-horned whitetail bucks with it using Barnes 62 gr. pills to 200 yards? I'd need a scope (and would really prefer a LER scope so my stubby fingers don't need to fight their way under a tight scope), but still.... I might actually be able to resell it that way in my dotage.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN

Why?

Well heck, why don't I just build a fast twist (1-in-9) .223 and whack everything up to mossy-horned whitetail bucks with it using Barnes 62 gr. pills to 200 yards? I'd need a scope (and would really prefer a LER scope so my stubby fingers don't need to fight their way under a tight scope), but still.... I might actually be able to resell it that way in my dotage.

Perfectly logical but logic has no place on the 'campfire - this is the home of RIFLE LOONIES!

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think with most Cadet rechambers, the bullet is either way undersized and rattling down the barrel, or being squeezed to death.

Have you even slugged the barrel? My .310 slugs to .318" and so I cast/size to .319"

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by cas6969
I think with most Cadet rechambers, the bullet is either way undersized and rattling down the barrel, or being squeezed to death.

Have you even slugged the barrel? My .310 slugs to .318" and so I cast/size to .319"

That's because .310 is the bore diameter, not the groove diameter. I've seen .310 Cadets with groove diameters as large as .321. That's the reason that rechambering them to .32-20 didn't work well. The .32-20 is a .312-313 groove diameter and the bullets were not filling out to the rifling.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
One solution to that I found was using hollow base wadcutter .32 bullets. They seemed to bump out to fill the grooves, and accuracy was ok at relatively close ranges.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
And black powder would help bump those HB wadcutters up to bore size, if you don't mind a little cleaning and "air pollution"! (Cadets aren't the nicest rifles to clean, as I suspect more than a few Ozzie cadets found out....).

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
6.5 or 7mm TCU ought to be the "cats meow" as they say!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A tapered case will feed easier than a cylindrical case that must be directly in line with the chamber to enter.

Bruce

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 709 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.