-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm asking because I loaned my only copy to someone who has lost it and I would like to still have a complete set of post-WW2 Savage catalogs. If you have an extra copy amongst your paper collection, please let me know. I know that Cornell advertises a reproduction, but I prefer to have original paper.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Don’t you hate it when you lend something and it goes missing. I had a copy of an 1850 news paper with the headline of Zachary Taylor’s death. A friend at work bugged me and bugged me to let him take it home and read it. It went missing.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Joe - would have taken a couple cellphone pics of the newspaper article and texted it to him. Imagine that a 170 year old newspaper would also be pretty friable.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looked at my extras and can't help, I have extra 1947, 1949, 1952 & 1953. I did notice that there are at least three different 1951 catalogs with two different covers; 'cc 1-51' and 'sm 1-51' with the same cover, two pointers looking right, and 'No. 30-51' with two pointers looking left. The 50's catalogs seem a little hard to find,

Gene
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
"Can't help concerning that catalog, but the aside....
Someday", all such will be available on the Internet free for all of us! Right now Winchester catalogs from 1960 for decade or so are available on Internet for free download. Guns magazine from mid fifties for longer also available! Perhaps the treasure, "Bolt Action Rifles" by Frank de Haas available for download free too! Check 'em out!
The Internet of "things!"
Best & Stay Safe!
John

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by iskra
"Can't help concerning that catalog, but the aside....
Someday", all such will be available on the Internet free for all of us! Right now Winchester catalogs from 1960 for decade or so are available on Internet for free download. Guns magazine from mid fifties for longer also available! Perhaps the treasure, "Bolt Action Rifles" by Frank de Haas available for download free too! Check 'em out!
The Internet of "things!"
Best & Stay Safe!
John

I have almost all of the Savage catalogs from the past 100 years. I'm an old guy and bought a lot of paper before the internet was what it is today. Cost of goods is not an issue, availability and condition are.

I have hundreds of catalogs and over 300 hunting, fishing, and shooting sports books in my library. I even have some correspondence to and from Mr. DeHaas regarding the errors that he made in his treatment of the Savage 1920.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No help here. Only have one copy.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hi 260 Rem~ Your library is an actual treasure. Would be great if any practical way to digitalize it, but sounding horribly labor intensive not to mention the equipment required. Add mind numbing sort of labor! You might consider at some point, to donate such to a public library, etc. National Archives comes to mind. I have a collection of American Rifleman magazines which in all likelihood, will get dumped in the trash when I expire... Unless I come up with some such plan of simply sell them.
Good luck concerning that missing catalog!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Joe - would have taken a couple cellphone pics of the newspaper article and texted it to him. Imagine that a 170 year old newspaper would also be pretty friable.

Ted, that was way before cell phones, I never forget, unless it happened yesterday. Actually the paper has so much cloth in it, it’s in better shape than last months Post. I have a copy of an 1867 article on weapons “of mass destruction”. The article goes on about how this weapon would give a single country such an advantage at war, that every country had to have it, to keep one from dominating all. The weapon was——- the breach loading rifle.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like it was written by a liberal

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Sounds like it was written by a liberal

I’ll dig it out and re read it. If it’s looks interesting I’ll copy and post it.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by iskra
Hi 260 Rem~ Your library is an actual treasure. Would be great if any practical way to digitalize it, but sounding horribly labor intensive not to mention the equipment required. Add mind numbing sort of labor! You might consider at some point, to donate such to a public library, etc. National Archives comes to mind. I have a collection of American Rifleman magazines which in all likelihood, will get dumped in the trash when I expire... Unless I come up with some such plan of simply sell them.
Good luck concerning that missing catalog!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

It would be nice if my firearms catalogs could be digitized and made available to anyone who wanted to access the images.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Getting a scan isn't good on the spines. If a guy doesn't mind that, it just takes time to scan them in.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Is there a resource to view the catalogs ?

How does a fella know what each year catalog looks like ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Getting a scan isn't good on the spines. If a guy doesn't mind that, it just takes time to scan them in.

There are some good smart phone apps for scanning. Doing it that way saves wear and tear on the originals.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
True, but still have to get the opposite page up and out of the way. I used my cell phone to photograph a lot of old catalog pages for my book so that I wouldn't hurt the spines (who wants to risk damaging an 1899 catalog!), but the quality suffers.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bulkie_roll

How does a fella know what each year catalog looks like ?

The Savage99.com site will show you the catalog covers. Not sure if 100% accurate but probably closes enough.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,968
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.