Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Ive been down there a few times fishing and have friends who retired there Some think its ok, others gave up after a year. Yes, crime can be bad there and the police are very corrupt. Only option would be move into a gated and secure expat community. I think there are better options living abroad. Ive spent quite a few years living and working overseas.Many Americans have this romantic notion that life is just like America but cheaper and a better climate and living conditions in other countries.

If you haven't done extensive long term travel in your past would not suggest it.Just do VRBO or air b&b for a few months during winter.in the country of your choice. I like the Punta pescadero region in Baja Mexico. I go every year. Thought about building vacation home there for winter but did not pencil out over just renting a house down there. good luck

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Lots of a Americans moving there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka
I like the Punta pescadero region in Baja Mexico. I go every year. Thought about building vacation home there for winter but did not pencil out over just renting a house down there. good luck

Trying to convince the wife to check out Baja sur, but she's enamored with Ajijic and it's closer to her family.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by FOsteology
I like the Punta pescadero region in Baja Mexico. I go every year. Thought about building vacation home there for winter but did not pencil out over just renting a house down there. good luck

Trying to convince the wife to check out Baja sur, but she's enamored with Ajijic and it's closer to her family.

I was down there again last month. The Baja region much safer than the mainland. There are still issues but I know many expats that have been down there over 20 years and love it. Beautiful country and decent people. Fishing is outstanding and I have seen some big mulie bucks up in the mountains there.

Look at La Ribera area north up to La Paz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Much obliged on the tip.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Much obliged on the tip.

de nada mi amigo

pm if want specifics

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Wife is Panamanian and is actually down there now taking care of her mother. I love it down there. The actually have whitetail deer in the jungle there. Wife's step dad used to hunt them and has some very respectable sets of antlers on the wall. The law caught him and confiscated his rifle (mil surp) so he no longer hunts. Not really a deer season anyway from what I understand. Only thing keeping me from moving down there is not being able to have firearms. We have a house 45 min outside Panama City and a farm that overlooks the canal. The best coffee I have ever had comes from the Cherokee region of Panama. We grow coffee on our farm, but it is just a basic coffee.

The is one of the deer skulls. Not sure what they use to make it black. Not a lot of size, but a lot of mass at the base. I need to look into archery hunting there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When I do finally retire, we will split the year between Here and Panama.

Oh and I never felt unsafe there, and we were not in any type of gated community. Driving can be a challenge until you figure it out. Defensive driving for sure.

Last edited by scoony; 02/14/21.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
[quote=hanco]Why??

Quality of life.
Maybe
No entitlement mentality
who knows
No drugs
Noriega leftovers?
Cheap, quality healthcare
Really?
Live like a fooking king
cheap to live
House on the beach
Beach, I never saw any beach but then I wasn't there to sight see
Maid
yep
Groundskeeper
yep
Fish every day
yep
No fooking Democrats
Rest assured there are some forms of leftist scum sneaking around.

I highly recommend a vacation down there first.

Last edited by rickt300; 02/14/21.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m watching this thread, I lived there for many years, the “not entitled mentality” has got me hooked. The Elites, Chinese, Drug king pins, and old Zonians must notta got the memo.

You can buy some hunting property with a creek in mississippi and be a lot happier until you die.

You’ll need a groundskeeper too after the leaf cutter ants carry your yard off in one night. He and the maid will be the ones that orchestrated your robbery too.

There are nice beaches on both sides and the islands.

Every person I’ve encountered that did this type of thing moved back to the USA eventually.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 02/14/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I was down there again last month. The Baja region much safer than the mainland. There are still issues but I know many expats that have been down there over 20 years and love it. Beautiful country and decent people. Fishing is outstanding and I have seen some big mulie bucks up in the mountains there.

Look at La Ribera area north up to La Paz

That is a beautiful area.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by scoony
Wife is Panamanian and is actually down there now taking care of her mother. I love it down there. The actually have whitetail deer in the jungle there. Wife's step dad used to hunt them and has some very respectable sets of antlers on the wall. The law caught him and confiscated his rifle (mil surp) so he no longer hunts. Not really a deer season anyway from what I understand. Only thing keeping me from moving down there is not being able to have firearms. We have a house 45 min outside Panama City and a farm that overlooks the canal. The best coffee I have ever had comes from the Cherokee region of Panama. We grow coffee on our farm, but it is just a basic coffee.

The is one of the deer skulls. Not sure what they use to make it black. Not a lot of size, but a lot of mass at the base. I need to look into archery hunting there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When I do finally retire, we will split the year between Here and Panama.

Oh and I never felt unsafe there, and we were not in any type of gated community. Driving can be a challenge until you figure it out. Defensive driving for sure.

whitetails in Panama? who knew thanks interesting

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by hanco
Why??

Quality of life.
No entitlement mentality
No drugs
Cheap, quality healthcare
Live like a fooking king
House on the beach
Maid
Groundskeeper
Fish every day
No fooking Democrats

If you want to be an ex-pat, not a bad place to go. American dollar rules. Cheap living. USA 2.0 but friendlier and cheaper.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My buddy went to jungle school all paid by us army. He said it was hot and it sucked..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spent time on the old Howard AFB back in June '07. Had to be the most humid climate on earth. At least that I have experienced. From Panama up to the Mexican border, I saw every country and have no desire to live in any of them. Our primary mission when I was stationed in Honduras, was counter narco terrorism in Central America. If you think there are no drugs in Panama, you are mistaken. At least they use the U.S. dollar as their currency.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CashisKing
. . . The one caution I would give you is that China is all over the place in Panama now. So who knows how stable it will be and for how long. The new Panama Canal is 100% Chinese investment as I understand it and their fingers are in a million pies. Giant Chinese trawlers are raping the fishing also.

You can thank Jimmy Carter for that!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I lived down there for a year in 2000-01 in Panama City. Lots of extreme wealth and extreme poverty. You can have a maid for $5 bucks a day plus bus fare, although most of the nicer accommodations will have living quarters for the help. As long as you stayed in the right parts of town you could walk anywhere day or night without concern. In the wrong part of town you could get mugged or worse in broad daylight. Real estate was getting kind of spendy even back then with the old base housing in the old Canal Zone going for 200k for a 1500 sq ft bungalow built in the 70s IIRC. I hear that the nicer places in the mountains closer to Costa Rica are lousy with expats now and prices reflect that.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Much obliged on the tip.

de nada mi amigo

pm if want specifics

Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Spent time on the old Howard AFB back in June '07. Had to be the most humid climate on earth. At least that I have experienced. From Panama up to the Mexican border, I saw every country and have no desire to live in any of them. Our primary mission when I was stationed in Honduras, was counter narco terrorism in Central America. If you think there are no drugs in Panama, you are mistaken. At least they use the U.S. dollar as their currency.

Guam had to be the worst but best for me.
I got a sun burn like no other. Been other spots.....
🍻cheers.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Spent 2 summer camps in Panama building roads up in the mountains one time and on the Gulf Coast for 3 weeks the second time. It is a nice country

but from what I can tell Costa Rica would be a better choice.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
The only time I have been there was during Operation Just Cause.

19 December, 1989. We got there and landed at Howard AFB. In all the frenzy I saw four A-7 Corsairs on a ramp with "Ohio Air National Guard" emblazoned on them. Funny thing was later I found out that Reserve and Guard units plan out their major training events on five year cycles. So back in 1984 someone in the Ohio Air National Guard scheduled their two week Annual Training for Panama in 1989. I figured they wanted to get out of the cold and snow and enjoy the tropics. Well they got themselves into an international conflict. Guess who led the air attack on the Comandancia? Those glorious unnamed sobs, most of whom were Vietnam vets, were having one more time in combat. And they did well, diving into the streams of anti aircraft fire from the Soviet ZPU-2s. I saw the Comandancia burning from the other end of the Bridge of the Americas.

But that was over thirty years ago. I guess it has changed a bit.

Thank you for your service to our nation, my man. To some, it means the world.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by drover
I have been there 3 times, about 30 days each time. It is just another $hithole central american country. Don't know how you got the idea of no drugs but that is mistaken. Like most central and south American countries it is run on graft, pay-offs and who your connections are. Generally speaking the rural areas seem to be safer than Panama City but there are also bad people there. Panama is one of those places where you need to keep your awareness level at all times. There is a reason that the people there will endure a lot of hardship just to illegally get into the U.S.

drover

Yeah, that. LOTS of dope in Panama, they transit it from there to the US pretty often.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 160user, 19rabbit52, 48 invisible), 3,086 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,660
Posts18,534,007
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.