Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I am a Browning man. My rifle is an A-Bolt medallian 25-06, my 12 gauge is a bps, as is my 20 gauge. Therefore, by association, when the big day came for my boys to pick their first deer rifles, it should have been a Browning love fest. Am I wrong?? Last year with the oldest boy (then 9)it was all good. A few quick looks at what he wasn't gonna get and then it was an A-Bolt...just like his old man. Different story today with my youngest (8 in September). I started by showing him the chosen one...the A-Bolt micro hunter. He was impressed and I had visions of frosty mornings together in the box stand...he with his Browning, me with mine. At about then he locked up like an english setter, his eyes fixed on something unidentified as of yet still on the rack. I gave the owner (a friend of mine) the head nod, not yet worried but somewhat confused. After all, he had already seen the Browning. When the competition hit his hands, it was all over. The micro hunter never got another look. I shouldered it, anxious to pick it apart in front of my son. The safety, well actually the safety was perfect for a young hunter and I quickly preferred it to my own. Surely the action...man the action was perfect. Pretty smooth to be brand new. The overall look and feel had to be lacking...the feel was very nice and with the matte finish, deep checkering and stainless bolt it is possibly the best looking rifle I have ever seen. In the end I couldn't even put up a fight. My son is the proud new owner of a Ruger M77 Mark 2 in 243 win. At least he kept it in the family when he had a Leupold 2x7 put on it. I'm proud of him and proud of his new rifle. We sat down and set some guidelines and conditions a couple of years ago, and he has met or exceeded every one of them. In doing that he earned his right to hunt with me and earned his rifle. Even if it isn't a Browning.

[Linked Image]

Indecision is the key to flexibility..
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if things are going to go awry, that's the way to have them go!

Nice story, seems the little guy may be learning the old man up a mite! (grin)

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
That looks like their little compact model. I have one just like it in 260 Rem. and it is one accurate little sucker. That short 16" barrel sure makes it easy to handle inside a box stand.

Your son has very good taste in rifles!!!!!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JUSTINB

Better than his old man! grin wink

He learned young! grin

I'd take a Ruger over a Browning any day. They are just a nice solid, and good looking, rifle that can't be beat for the money.

Tell your son I like his taste in rifles!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JUSTINB

Oh, and don't forget the RAZORBACKS poster on his wall - looks like he has very good taste period!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great pic! So that is the compact model?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll take a Ruger any day over an A-Bolt. The safe is full of them in fact, with no A-Bolts.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great Rifle and a good looking young fellow. The scope rings are a little high. See if you can trade those Ruger rings for some shorter ones. It will give your little buddy a better cheek weld on the stock and it will make the rifle easier to shoot. Just my opinion.
Good Luck this Fall.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story, looks like one happy young fellow there. What a nice rig to start out with too. Odessa

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The ruger should work, lots of ford guys kids grow up to like chevies.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
congrats to dad and son. Now get him a 77/22 so he can shoot alot and not cost you a mint. Switching over to the 243 will be nothing new.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The smile on the lads face is enough for me.Glad to see the Ruger.Sweet rifle wouldn't mind the rig myself.GOOD JOB.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great story, and congrats!

That is one very fortunate young man. Good luck on your father and son hunting adventures!
smile

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
WOW----Pretty cool story and the little guy is showing good judgment!! Have him contact me in 18 years or so when he finishes college I may put him to work!!!

Very nice looking rifle BTW.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great story, reminded me of going to the gunshop with my dad when I was little. It's great that you let him pick his own as opposed to coming home with one. People like you keep our sport alive and growing.A+

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great photo and a great little gun. My younger brother and sister both started off with .243 carbines, one a Rem 788, the other a Rem 660. I would advise that the boy wear both earplugs and muffs when he first shoots that rifle as the blast can be more intimidating than the recoil, especially with that short barrel. I would start him off shooting reduced handloads or factory loads like the old 80gr Remington PSP. Hopefully you will have some "first deer" photos for us someday soon.

Now with even more aplomb
BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good story, congrats!

Scott

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by encorerb
It's great that you let him pick his own as opposed to coming home with one.

I keep thinking the same thing.

It's gonna mean so much more to him cause he saw it first, picked it out, and it's "his".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sosowingshooter
I am a Browning man. My rifle is an A-Bolt medallian 25-06, my 12 gauge is a bps, as is my 20 gauge. Therefore, by association, when the big day came for my boys to pick their first deer rifles, it should have been a Browning love fest. Am I wrong?? Last year with the oldest boy (then 9)it was all good. A few quick looks at what he wasn't gonna get and then it was an A-Bolt...just like his old man. Different story today with my youngest (8 in September). I started by showing him the chosen one...the A-Bolt micro hunter. He was impressed and I had visions of frosty mornings together in the box stand...he with his Browning, me with mine. At about then he locked up like an english setter, his eyes fixed on something unidentified as of yet still on the rack. I gave the owner (a friend of mine) the head nod, not yet worried but somewhat confused. After all, he had already seen the Browning. When the competition hit his hands, it was all over. The micro hunter never got another look. I shouldered it, anxious to pick it apart in front of my son. The safety, well actually the safety was perfect for a young hunter and I quickly preferred it to my own. Surely the action...man the action was perfect. Pretty smooth to be brand new. The overall look and feel had to be lacking...the feel was very nice and with the matte finish, deep checkering and stainless bolt it is possibly the best looking rifle I have ever seen. In the end I couldn't even put up a fight. My son is the proud new owner of a Ruger M77 Mark 2 in 243 win. At least he kept it in the family when he had a Leupold 2x7 put on it. I'm proud of him and proud of his new rifle. We sat down and set some guidelines and conditions a couple of years ago, and he has met or exceeded every one of them. In doing that he earned his right to hunt with me and earned his rifle. Even if it isn't a Browning.

[Linked Image]

Smart kid, maybe he'll let you borrow it when the A-bort take a schit.......grin

Great picture......

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Nice story and pic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,828
Posts18,496,595
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.