Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
99guy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/891314496

I would have bought this one.

I have a thing for T's and the period G&H mounts.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me too, followed and watched. I was surprised it only went for that with what looks to be factory G&H install work and a Lyman Alaskan. If I didn't have my G&H .250-3000, I would have been in the bidding.

Last edited by KeithNyst; 02/14/21.
99guy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Had my finger on the trigger. Couldn't squeeze off the shot... frown

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I agree, Randy. The G&H adds a lot of class to that rifle, and it's a T with a fair bit of condition to boot. The G&H mount looks to have been installed by G&H themselves. Grinding the screw heads flush before bluing was/is their protocol. (Of course it's not beyond the realm of possibility for a good gunsmith to emulate that protocol too.) Still, those mounts are fetching $400 these days, and the last time I inquired at G&H a few years ago they were charging around $650 to put one on a rifle. Then there's the Lyman Alaskan, another plus. I would say the buyer did ok.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I was watching that one from just about the time it got listed.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would have traded my EG with G&H side mount for it in a moment.. I expected it to go for higher, but those darned studs. Tsk tsk.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Could never get past the extra holes.
The Lyman No. 6 is worth $150.00.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Could never get past the extra holes.

Can't see the holes on the side or screws on a factory installed G&H mount. I think they were patented in 1929, and are still available today for 99's from G&H.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
To each his own. There's holes and then there's holes.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep. But then again I'm not picky. I have rifles with Weaver side mounts, Pachmayr side mount, and a G&H side mount. Had an Echo side mount, sold that off, never had a Williams.I've had several oddball top mount bases. They are part of the history and evolution of the 99, even if they are 3rd party accessories. I appreciate folks that prefer unmolested 99's, keeps the prices down on some that I go after. grin

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
You couldn't find anything much better to plug holes with than a Griffn and Howe scope mount.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

99guy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
but those darned studs. Tsk tsk.

I wonder if G&H did them when they mounted the scope?

~Admiral Yamamoto~

99guy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by S99VG
You couldn't find anything much better to plug holes with than a Griffn and Howe scope mount.

Well stated...

~Admiral Yamamoto~

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Seems a bunch of us watched it, if i haden't bought 3 rifles in the last few days it probably would have come here. The studs didn;t bother me they were savage no7 but there looked to be a piece of the buttstock in one of the upper corners that looked cracked and re-glued, still not a bad shooter with a bunch of class. grin Don

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I still need a shooter T, that one would have worked, but it went for more than i wanted to spend.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Yep. But then again I'm not picky. I have rifles with Weaver side mounts, Pachmayr side mount, and a G&H side mount. Had an Echo side mount, sold that off, never had a Williams.I've had several oddball top mount bases. They are part of the history and evolution of the 99, even if they are 3rd party accessories. I appreciate folks that prefer unmolested 99's, keeps the prices down on some that I go after. grin

Me too. If it wasn’t for the Noske on the side of my K, I wouldn’t have a K. My Malcolm shipped almost two weeks ago. As soon as it gets home, the Noske is heading to Ironsights for a do over.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
99guy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by svg250
I still need a shooter T, that one would have worked, but it went for more than i wanted to spend.

Boy, I see 300 EG's going for 1500+ and that T looked like a bargin to me. If the seller would have described it as a "T" in his description, I think it would have got more attention.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The original owner who had that rifle set up like that might have been the first guy in camp with a scoped rifle, we will never know, but it was no big deal to him to put extra holes in it. By the looks of it it was professionally done and the rifle looks well cared for.
One thing for sure it is a awesome whitetail hunting rig then and still today!

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I’m was on the same page as well. Watched it since it went up. Back in the day whomever bought that gun and went to the expense of putting that beautiful scope mount on, had to be well to do. Probably the envy of the deer camp. To have that rifle in that condition with the original setup certainly caught my interest. Even the screws were not buggered up so it sat somewhere for a very long time in good hands and I don’t think saw a lot of time in the woods. Some people are all about pristine and original and lately you see what crazy numbers these guns are fetching which is fine but to me that gun had just as much character and class. Like Randy said just not buying guns anymore but it was very tempting....dam it!!!
Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is holding the G&H side mounted plate to the receiver? I don't see any holes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (19rabbit52, 204guy, 2500HD, 222Sako, 257robertsimp, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,496
Posts18,509,148
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.