Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DanBrothers
I which I had gotten that shot on video. I was with Wade Nolan, Gary Beaton, and Bob Kirschner on that hunt in Alaska. There seemed to be NO caribou in the area. The country was so wide open and flat, that you could see for miles. On our third morning there, I spotted a bedded bull up on top of a hill. The four of us decided to spread out and circle it for a shot from downwind. I was far out on the right and ended up sneaking straight up on a head on collision with it. I got within 40 yds of his antlers only being in view, when suddenly he stood up and stared right at me. I drew back with the knowing that this bull is dead with my arrow going straight into his chest and to his tail.... especially knowing that I could hit his chest dead center because that was way bigger than a golf ball size target that I could hit at that distance. I released the arrow and watched it miss as it flew straight down his right side. To my disbelief, I released another arrow that did the exact same thing. While standing there in Major disbelief and awe at two clean misses... he started running around me, going down hill. I took off running after him trying to head him off, and when I came around a corner, there is Gary Beaton aiming his rifle at the bull standing broadside on another small rise. I yelled.." Wait Gary, don't shoot, give me one more shot before you do" He said okay and lowered his rifle. My furthest bow sight pin was 50 yds, and that was where I practiced at all the time. The bull was way over there and I had no idea what to do. I may of said Lord help me...I don't know.... but I knew I couldn't do it by myself, that was for sure. Anyways... I drew back and aimed over it's back and kept raising the pin until it felt right... when it did.. I released it and we watched the arrow going straight towards it's chest, but suddenly drifted way left again and it hit dead center of it's rear ham. I told Gary...Don't shoot...I got him. We just stood there watching the bull walk in small circles getting weaker and weaker while looking at that arrow stuck it it's butt. He finally laid down and died from a loss of blood... rather quickly to our surprise. When I finally came back to my sense from all the fast and excited action, I pulled out the old time ranger finder made by Ranging, and the only kind on the market in those days. It was the type where you turn a dial and when the two images came together into focus.. that was the range... anyways... it said roughly plus or minus 125 yds. I didn't care how far it was, I was just happy that I got a bull with my bow in a area that seemed to be empty of caribou. Wade took that picture you see. While telling him and Bob about the un-thought of misses with all my arrows flying way to the left... Bob says..."Dan, you must have not been holding to the right with that 25-30 mph right cross wind". DUH... I couldn't believe it... how stupid of me not to take that into consideration... but then again... in my part of the South East... we NEVER even think about cross winds of any type... Wow...lesson learned there. That was the August of 1990, and we didn't even take a video camera at all, because of doing so much video stuff from deer to turkeys all year.... we just went for a fun hunt. I think Wade was the only one with a camera...Bob may have... I forgot. The thing I remember most about that hunt was the 1000's of white Ptarmigans birds everywhere. I shot so many with my blunt arrow heads that Bob started calling my Ptarmigan Dan...LOL. We all ate our share. I'd LOVE to back this August....WHO wants to go??????

PS... I was also the first one to Solo-Kill hogs with a pellet rifle on camera and post them on Youtube. Two videos can be seen below. It wasn't long after my post that Gamo and other air rifle companies had all their Heros shoot hogs as well... but not Solo.... and mostly over bait or on a preserve... not wild and freerange hogs while stalking them through the woods.. Now pellet air rifles are not air rifles in the sense that pellet rifles are only .177, .22 or .25 caliber... while air rifles are ball slugs from 9mm to 54 cal. Those are not Pellet air rifles....but more of a slug rifle or muzzle loader... which are way my powerful than a pellet rifle.

I guess I better stop blabbing for now... but thanks for listening.

I'm not trying to stur up trouble or make anyone mad... I'm just me... I can't help that.... you might have to take me with a grain of salt... my Wife has to sometimes...LOL. Thank you for being patient with me, because sometimes it's hard to be me...LOL.

May Jesus Richly Bless You All in Many Ways. Dan

These hogs are not very big... but I was happy with my first few pellet rifle kills. I'm sure it would take down bigger ones. I should get off my butt and go after some more because there are some only 10 miles down the road. My camera is on top of my rifle and all the kill stuff was videoed first... then I went back and re-inacted the beginning action of the hunt with the camera mounted to a tree. Everything is True... just shot in two parts.

PS again...Edit... after re-watching those videos I realized that I WAY over estimated the weight on those hogs. Those two surely weren't more than 40 lbs. The reason i boned them out was because I was a tad over a mile back in the swampy woods and there was not using dragging them home whole and then have to find a place to discard of the carcasses.... so I did my normal routine on the spot. I always have that two part carry bag in my pack... it's there right now. I got started doing that with caribou in Quebec. Now I do everything that I can that way.
I also had a small pocket size camera/video camera in my pack for doing all those other video scenes, other than the kill scene.

I can take ANYONE to those spots tomorrow to hunt hogs if you want too... BUT... hopefully you can turn me onto Wolves as well...LOL. Quid Pro Quo

[img]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfM...verified=1&ab_channel=DanielBrothers[/img]

[img]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5BNNfOJTlk&t=4s&ab_channel=DanielBrothers[/img]

You miss two 40 yard shots, then take a shot from 125 yards? With a bow that probably has a messed up sight?

You're an idiot.....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Idiot... Who's the Idiot... obviously you DID NOT read the whole story... it was the severe wind.... Idiot.
Please don't read my threads anymore.... thank you

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
125 yard bow shot at an unwounded animal, in severe wind? After tanking two shots at less than half that distance?

Really?

[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Will you please go away and leave me alone

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Will you please go away and leave me alone

Gladly....mission accomplished.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just wanted to update the thread title.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
125 yard bow shot at an unwounded animal, in severe wind? After tanking two shots at less than half that distance?

Really?

They are out there my friend and walk amongst us....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Really?

They are out there my friend and walk amongst us....

C'mon, man. It's a heart-warming tale of success after struggling with forces directly perpendicular to the guy.

Since there was a rifle for backup, I'm okay with it, as long as we all agree that it was a stunt shot, and nothing else.

I've hit ground animals like rabbits and rock chucks at that distance. It took about as many arrows, too.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 02/15/21.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Idiot... Who's the Idiot... obviously you DID NOT read the whole story... it was the severe wind.... Idiot.
Please don't read my threads anymore.... thank you

I dunno about scenarshooter but I'm gonna grant your wish and put your stupid ass on ignore...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dan good luck hope next year you get to go on a wolf hunt out west next year. take care ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Earlier in the thread I gave odds of him killing a wolf at 150:1. I have reassessed that now. 300:1.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Now that I have my Wife's painting up on a billboard... I guess I can go wolf hunting...BUT now it feels like a time crunch to do 80 hrs of driving there and back... while trying to kill wolves for the first time by myself... and then be back ready to work on March 1st. Hmmmm.... as much as I hate it... i guess I will have to try it again next year. Thanks Guys for all your support. May Jesus Bless You All. Dan

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

did exxon pay your wife for that painting?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
PS... If anyone out there Loves Jesus and wants to share the Gospel with Lost Souls and wants to sponsor a billboard in their area for a few hundred bucks a month... send me a PM, and we will try to make that happen. Thanks... Jesus Bless You All.

PM Safariman, he even has a Quartet.

Last edited by gitem_12; 02/15/21.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Who is this...LOL... ? I've heard Bob tell many stories over the years. He said he also shared a camp with Fred Bear. I have his cell ... do you want to call him with a surprise...LOL...?

I doubt Fred bear has a cell phone

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow just when I thought Id seen everything hats off this is the king of sock puppets

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by atse
Earlier in the thread I gave odds of him killing a wolf at 150:1. I have reassessed that now. 300:1.

He’s never going wolf hunting...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Who is this...LOL... ? I've heard Bob tell many stories over the years. He said he also shared a camp with Fred Bear. I have his cell ... do you want to call him with a surprise...LOL...?

I believe he is referring to Bob's cell number. Either way 125 yard shot on a Bou with a bow that couldn't get it done at 40???? I highly doubt it. He is pretty high on himself. The thing about trophies is they don't tell you the names of those you beat! I have a bunch of trophies too big deal, I never beat anyone in the top 25.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I believe he is referring to Bob's cell number. Either way 125 yard shot on a Bou with a bow that couldn't get it done at 40???? I highly doubt it. He is pretty high on himself. The thing about trophies is they don't tell you the names of those you beat! I have a bunch of trophies too big deal, I never beat anyone in the top 25.

i realize that, I was poking fun at the OP

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Both you guys are wrong, Fred's got a cell phone and I've got his number. it's only seven digits since it's from back in the day, when you didn't need area codes.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Both you guys are wrong, Fred's got a cell phone and I've got his number. it's only seven digits since it's from back in the day, when you didn't need area codes.

Fred Bear? Famous bowhunter Fred Bear? He passed away in 1988. You must have some kick ass cell service.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,194 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,740
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.