Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by deflave
Kill the water to your house and drain all lines to the best of your ability.

This is the choice I had to make just a few minutes ago. One cold water line in the kitchen has developed a leak, probably ruptured. I shut off our water out at the meter because I've heard how much a big leak can cost. Now the rest of the plumbing will freeze because I can't keep a trickle going. There are no good choices here.

One can stop the flow of water from the burst pipe with a quick connect end cap. If it’s a separate line will then be able to run water to prevent the other lines from freezing.

True enough, but if would go so far as to do that much, I may as well just do the entire repair. Not happening today.

That’s what I’d do, an emergency, not permanent repair that may likely prevent further damage to other pipes.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Good advice Dillon

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
J
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
J
Unhook at meter and hook up air compressor and open valves an faucets to blow out low spots or fill with rv antifreeze. Good luck.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by jimone
Unhook at meter and hook up air compressor and open valves an faucets to blow out low spots or fill with rv antifreeze. Good luck.

If there are already frozen pipes?

Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
There won’t be couplings or unions to be found for months.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When I lived in OKC we would have blizzard like weather once a year like Texas is getting now with the temps down in the single digits and once or twice below zero. I had exposed copper water pipes in the garage going to my washing machine that bursted one year due to freezing... After fixing that, I wrapped 2 layers of that black foam looking pipe insulation around the pipes and taped it on from top to bottom really well. Never had an issue again with those pipes freezing up...The pipe insulation looks like the same stuff as those pool noodle toy tube things...You can buy it at Home Depot or Lowes.

Last edited by Ramdiesel; 02/15/21.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Raeford
"A lot of folks in the South don't have any way of turning off the outside faucets. It's common for them to be plumbed into the main line of the house without any means of turning them off except for shutting off the main at the meter. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a house in my area with the shutoffs for the outdoor faucets that are common up North."

Our Tenn house didn't used to have one.
It froze and split, has one now.
140+ basically identical houses in the neighborhood, guessing many have been replaced over 20 years of this global warming.

Interesting, never thought of that. Always figured everyone could turn them off.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 02/15/21.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze
A lot of folks in the South don't have any way of turning off the outside faucets. It's common for them to be plumbed into the main line of the house without any means of turning them off except for shutting off the main at the meter. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a house in my area with the shutoffs for the outdoor faucets that are common up North.

It’s like that here, I have four, two of which come up out of the ground on the north side of the house, ran em at somewhat more than a trickle all night long, gonna do the same tonight. My water bill will be significant but prob’ly way cheaper than a plumber I hope.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy shark bites now !

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Dripping the hot water taps will circulate water through the hot water feeder line. At this point I would run the clothes washer, might be a good time to do laundry 🙂

Ok- heard I should run cold water instead - hot makes more sense. I did at least think of the washing and did it all before the sub freezing stuff hit. Am worried about the pipes for the washer though.

Hot water will freeze before cold water.

Traps are likely frozen on toilets.

Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze
A lot of folks in the South don't have any way of turning off the outside faucets. It's common for them to be plumbed into the main line of the house without any means of turning them off except for shutting off the main at the meter. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a house in my area with the shutoffs for the outdoor faucets that are common up North.

It’s like that here, I have four, two of which come up out of the ground on the north side of the house, ran em at somewhat more than a trickle all night long, gonna do the same tonight. My water bill will be significant but prob’ly way cheaper than a plumber I hope.
Water bill ? LOL. Never seen such a thing.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by BKinSD
It can be cheaper and easier to cut a hole in the wallboard and install a grate over it, than to fix broken pipes.

I have had to do this. Pipe to outdoor spigot froze. Had to cut drywall to repair the leak. Instead of replacing the drywall, thus shutting off the heat source, I installed one panel from a louvered bi-fold door. Haven't had an issue since.

The 100 watt light bulb will work wonders, if you have power.

Charcoal in a baking tin will work also. Beware of the carbon monoxide.

Good luck down there.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

After a sub-zero deep freeze here in NEPA always one or two people who burn the house down trying to thaw frozen pipes.
People get desperate.

Hunter S. Thompson
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Make sure everybody in the house knows where the main Water Shut Off is!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by las
Hope it's PEX....

If copper, I believe they can be thawed by putting an electric welder on it - I don't know the exact procedure. I guess the juice will heat the copper, thawing the water inside.

Hopefully the water stays inside....

Where did you hear that? Copper water pipe is grounded.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Hot water will freeze before cold water.

The concern was with the line feeding the water heater, apparently the (hot water) lines leaving the heater not so much.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Every winter hereabouts it get down to -40–at that temp it don’t matter what scale you use—it was -50C here the other night.
I have 2 cabins which i don’t use in winter so at the end of October I drain all the water lines fill the drains with RV antifreeze and use the air compressor to blow out the lines. When I had copper pipe and fittings every Spring I would have a bunch of leaks to deal with. It takes very little water in a copper line to rupture the pipe. I changed all the copper out to pex and now I don’t even drain the lines—let ‘em freeze—never had a leak.
My water supply is 1 1/4 black plastic pipe buried 6 inches deep inside 4 inch plastic weeping tile and runs 145ft lineal out to the lake, deep water submersible well pump on the end of that. I have a sink that drains out to the back yard—not into my septic field. I leave a tap running on that sink 24/7 just a dribble but increase it depending on how cold it gets. I have no water lines on outside walls—nobody here does. Outside water taps have shut-off valve located indoors the outside taps are left open.
I don’t know what to tell you if your house ain’t designed with the possibility of hard frost in mind—wait till it warms up and grab a bunch of shark-bites I guess.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
A 100 watt incandescent lamp produces a lot of heat if
an old trouble light can be placed in the right place.

There are a lot of old pump houses and add on bathrooms
around here that are kept from freezing by a lightbulb.

Just don’t use an LED bulb.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by las
Hope it's PEX....

If copper, I believe they can be thawed by putting an electric welder on it - I don't know the exact procedure. I guess the juice will heat the copper, thawing the water inside.

Hopefully the water stays inside....

Where did you hear that? Copper water pipe is grounded.

las is right. It’s done a lot. Don’t know the procedure though.

Perhaps ungrounded, then attached. Gotta know where the freeze block is, and go on either side of it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Buy a Bargain Bin rate Al Gore global warming books burn them to keep warm.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (1lessdog, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,431
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.