Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TheKid
Am I the only one who’s had terrible luck with Corelokts? Only ones I’ve used much were the 140 6.5 in factory 260 ammo and the 130 270 but both were terrible. The 6.5s gave terrible penetration and massive cratering wounds. The 270s weren’t much better though not as bad.

As MD said Rem changed the jackets on the CLs. Fortunately I never got ahold of the thin jackets.

I bought bulk 270/130 & 6mm/100s and still use them. I push both at 3100 fps or more .
Honest injun those are 'tougher' than the Hornady's.

Too many have complained of the Cls separating so I don't doubt it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

And then there's Sierra. Seems to be an either love or hate sentiment with them with the old core separation debate. I think most refer to Game Kings although that's often not specified when comments are made. Curious about sentiments for the Pro-Hunters. Not surprised that we don't see as many comments about them but FPs and RNs are just fine in the woods. Are Pro-Hunters any tougher than Game Kings? How do they compare to ILs?

I prefer the Pro Hunters to the Game King and have had great results with them. The only difference I can tell are a flat base vs boat tail. I believe the Interlock has more antimony in the core and is harder than the Sierras. Our best results with the 130 Pro Hunter in a couple of 270s was running them around 2800 fps.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sierra Gamechangers are very impressive in a 6mm creedmoor. I suspect they’d be equally impressive or even better in a 270 or ‘06.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
For me, Nosler BT, Speer, and Hornady are 1,2 and3 in a 270. Never fooled much with a 30-06

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Use a 7x57 and everything is good.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by TheKid
Am I the only one who’s had terrible luck with Corelokts? Only ones I’ve used much were the 140 6.5 in factory 260 ammo and the 130 270 but both were terrible. The 6.5s gave terrible penetration and massive cratering wounds. The 270s weren’t much better though not as bad.

Every time I read someone extolling the virtues of the Corelokt I think back to those experiences. I know MD has said the RNs were tougher but my narrow experience with the pointed ones was awful.

for around 10 - 15 years i helped a friend with his Wild Game Processing business back around late 80`s tell around early 90`s for first 10 days of deer and antelope season,we even got i whole carcass`s of buffalo,elk,moose and a bear once in a while .during those 10 days we processed 300 plus animals in those 1st 10 days and for the whole season Owen at his meat shop did over 700 animals every year. it was at Gillette,Wyoming for my friend Owen Heins and his wife "Willie ". i also every mourning caped many game animals too. my deal was i stayed there in the house with them ,ate there ,worked many hours sometimes tell 3 a.m. but Owen always had cold beer for us all and meat sticks too. those were some good times and i learned plenty about bullets,rifles,scopes and even knives used for hunting on big game animals. Nosler company guys came there,Hornady too ,plenty regular guys like me used their own handloads,some hunters used Remington CoreLokt ammo too. i always asked all hunters what rifles,scopes, bullets and cartridges they used most told me in great detail about there hunts. very few hunters had much good to say about Corelokt bullets and i also seen after i took the hide off that animal that sometimes bullets that failed on animals,that animal was shot again and again was kinda a mess too many of these shot up game animals were shot with Corelokt bullets. after a few years of seeing what happened with a poorer bullet i switch to Nosler Partitions for reloading, i got given to me 100 Gr. Nosler Partition bullets for my 257 Weatherby Mag.from another dear friend Jonny Bell and i never had a failure with this great bullet ,,myself in those years i shot and ate around 10 big game animals a year, my kids loved antelope and deer meat. i alway kinda wondered why did some Corelokt bullets fail but some worked fine i guess what has been posted on this site explains the reason about these Corelokt bullets.Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been using the .277/150 gr. Speer Grand Slam (current production), at ~ 2800 fps, for a few seasons now.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Has performed great on deer and hogs.

$0.22/pop w/ rebate.

GR

Last edited by Garandimal; 02/15/21.
J
JD7 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I think for the money the hot-cor, grand slam, and interlocks are hard to beat

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Maybe Mule Deer will chime but didn't I read before that for a period of time Remington was loading Hornady Interlock as their CoreLokts?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BCSteve
Maybe Mule Deer will chime but didn't I read before that for a period of time Remington was loading Hornady Interlock as their CoreLokts?

They were. Occasionally, companies would source bullets from other businesses to keep production going.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have some late 80's 35 whelen remington loads that are loaded with 250 gr RN hornady's. Have also heard that early 140 gr ptd corelokt's for the 7-08 were Hornady 139gr SP's but don't know that for a irrefutable fact.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I have some late 80's 35 whelen remington loads that are loaded with 250 gr RN hornady's. Have also heard that early 140 gr ptd corelokt's for the 7-08 were Hornady 139gr SP's but don't know that for a irrefutable fact.

That 7-08 stuff popped into my mind too.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Around 1990 the then-PR guy for Remington sent me some Core-Lokt factory loads for testing, in various cartridges. During my tests I discovered through sectioning bullets,that they didn't have jackets nearly as thick as CLs used to--but that some (not all) had something that looked very much like the Hornady Interlock ring in the jacket. And those bullets also had a secant ogive, just like Hornady Interlocks, unlike the original Core-Lokt Pointed Soft-Points, which had the more conventional tangential ogive.

I informed the PR guy (who I'd known for a long time) of this, and he got pretty PO'd--because nobody in the production end had ever informed him of any of it. He was also nearing retirement age, and decided to pull the plug maybe 2-3 years later.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This is only related to bullets used by 'other' companies.

I got 1 or 2 (?) boxes of Winchester 6.5 X 55 with 140 gr 'soft point' with the purchase of a Win 70 FTWT.
I killed a few deer with them and they worked -- I graphed them @ 2750 fps.

I shot a few into my pond dam and recovered them. They expanded back to the "Interlock". You could see it plainly.
I took pix and posted them @ 2012 or so. UNFORTUNATELY those pix are on PhotoPUKEIT and I can't upload them to
any site today.

Those factory Win 140 were Hornady Ils.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Wesley2 said he had good luck with the 6mm Gamechangers on deer. I had a very different experience with the 165s out of a 280 Ackley on a bull elk. Ranges during my rodeo were 175 to 390 yards and 3 out of 4 shots were tight behind the shoulder. No bullets reached the ribs on the off side and no bullets were recovered. Muzzle velocity was 2975 FPS. All three shots appeared to be blow-ups. The bull staggered 75-100 yards into some quakies and was finished with a shot to the neck. I wouldn’t wish the experience on anyone.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 375Taylor
Wesley2 said he had good luck with the 6mm Gamechangers on deer. I had a very different experience with the 165s out of a 280 Ackley on a bull elk. Ranges during my rodeo were 175 to 390 yards and 3 out of 4 shots were tight behind the shoulder. No bullets reached the ribs on the off side and no bullets were recovered. Muzzle velocity was 2975 FPS. All three shots appeared to be blow-ups. The bull staggered 75-100 yards into some quakies and was finished with a shot to the neck. I wouldn’t wish the experience on anyone.

There are those among us that think......this is ideal bullet performance! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I guess I'm someone who's never had a Core-Lokt fail. Between my two son's and I we've killed a lot of game with them and they always worked fine. They haven't always been the most accurate, but when a rifle liked them I used them. I have some bulk stockage of them in several diameters. I've also used other bullets on game; lots of Nosler Partitions, and some Speer HOT-CORs. For, the first time a couple of years ago I used a 150TSX on an average size Shiras moose. It performed remarkably well. But since I have several thousand Core-Lokts in stock, I'll also continue using them and some Winchester Power Points. YMMV

Jim
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
Hornady Interlock first....

This & Nosler BT

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I must be easy to please. I've shot truckloads of game including pigs, goats, fallow deer and a nice red stag with the 150 gn Power Point from my .30/06. It seems to kill very effectively, and with a well-placed shot on game this size it opens fast, does great damage inside and drops them on the spot. That being the case it doesn't matter to me whether they exit or not, and in fact I'd prefer the massive damage inside the animal over a tough bullet which does less damage but punches through the far side and keeps travelling.

I've also used the 150 gn CorLokt, and it worked about as well. The Winchester has been more accurate in my rifle though, so I've stuck with it.

I will say this though, for larger game, including sambar deer, I choose something a bit heavier, such as the 185 gn Lapua Mega, though the 180 gn Hornady Interlock has also done the job. I've also used the 220 gn CorLokt in .30/06, and it killed big pigs very well, though didn't seem any tougher than the 150 gn. It is not up with the Woodleigh, for example, nor even the Lapua Mega.

I've tried a fair range of others, from 110 gn to 250 gn, but the 150 gn PP is the one I've settled on for medium-sized game with the .30/06.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by mcknight77
So, do we think the current Power Point is a better/stronger bullet than the current Core-Lokt?

Yes, I have always found the Power Points work better than Core Lokts. I don'tt know about "stronger" They stay together better for me, especially as relates to newer Remingtons. The Rermingtons are more available around here so I use more of them.

Since I am retired and have a little more time to reload I use mostly Interlocks for practice and NPT's for hunting.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,661
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.