-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only time I have been there that early was when I lived in the south and did not comprehend that there could be a lot of snow that time of year. Live and learn. The roads were plowed so we managed to get around and see the big attractions.

If you are planning on camping in the park, you had better check the schedule online because some of the campgrounds aren't open that early and you are going to want reservations for a camper. Also, BangPop's information about Dunraven Pass appears to be correct for 2021. We were there this past summer and the road between Canyon and Tower-Roosevelt was closed, which was a bummer. It appears to be closed in 2021 as well. See https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/road-construction.htm

On the plus side, it should be less crowded.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Swing by pick up the stock LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Still may need a snow machine the 3rd week of May this year

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had the once in a lifetime experience awhile ago in the first week of November. Finished up an elk hunt around Gardiner, MT and drove through the North gate towards Jackson, WY. We were the last Southbound vehicle let into the park as they were closing the roads that day. They gave us 6 hours to report to the ranger station at the Teton entrance. Nothing was open and NO PEOPLE.... Only saw one northbound vehicle and one range patrol car the entire day. Imagine sitting at Old Faithful and being one of two people waiting for it to irrupt. That drive though the park basically alone was almost more enjoyable as a week of elk hunting. Pulled over by some of the hot springs, nothing but the sounds of nature and no people. Just like it was when John Colter found it.

Anytime if good to be there but as other said be prepared for any weather. Was there at the North end one trip around June 1st and we got snow but it added to the adventure.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
It can be a crap shoot. Wife and I drove from Jackson to Gardiner last year in the first week of June. Very few tourists and most roads were open with exception of Tower. Boats out on the lake. That said its always funny seeing camp trailers headed south on Hwy 20 and I15 on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend covered in snow. Always seem to have [bleep] weather on Memorial Day

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Missouri River Upper Basin snowpack peaks Apr 15-25, you're looking at heading there 3-4 weeks after peak snowpack with a camper in tow?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
At that time access and camping can be sketchy..thats about the spring thaw, and the most scenic route, over Beartooth pass will probably not be open. No alpine flowers out and the game all looks like crap after a long winter. May is not the best time in YNP..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Mid September is best.......usually......

traffic/crowds disappear

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We drove out there from North Carolina in mid May, 2019.
I was astonished to see the big lake still frozen over. Snow banks four feet deep. I bet they are really deep this year.
Fantastic place to see, every American needs to see Yellowstone. We saw Old Faithful erupt 4 times.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I only saw Old Faithful erupt three times, while waiting for the rain to quit, but I will say to really appreciate Old Faithful you need to stay for repeat eruptions.

After that I ended up cycling down from Craig Pass to the West Thumb campground in the dark in a thunderstorm. Only thing I could see was the fog stripe in the little cone of light from my headlight.

I coulda ridden right by all sorts of wildlife and didn’t see it 🙂

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Higginez
Beartooth pass is awesome and I'd suggest putting it high on the list but May might be too early.

It is indeed high, about 11,000 feet above sea level!:) A beautiful drive. I have a sister who is afraid of heights and she was more or less hyperventilating while driving over it but wouldn't let me take the wheel. I'll never go over it again with her driving:)

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Too early. may is not summer up here yet.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure weather can be contentious in late May, and the flowers may not be out, but I'm also sure I want no part of the crowds in July. Lol.

As it stands, most everything(campgrounds) is already booked full in May. I'll look at mid Sept.

Thanks all!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Swing by pick up the stock LOL

laugh

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Lonny
Mooner,

Tent camped with the wife and kids in the Lamar Valley (northern entrance through Gardiner) a couple times in early June and it was real brisk at night. Days were nice though. Camping in the park is so much better than the drive through thing. I'd do a couple moves because the park is big and you can explore from your camp.

If you asked my wife and kids, what they remember about YP, seeing stuff like Old Faithful would be way down the list. They enjoyed the seeing all the animals, hiking around, canoeing, fishing, and heck, in some cases, the people who were about as interesting as the critters.

The last paragraph. The main attractions are OK if you have never seen'em but there is so much more to the park.
I agree with others that Memorial Day and earlier is risky. Waiting until later in June might provide you with a better overall experience.
The weather will hopefully be a little more tolerable, and the newborn wildlife will be on the ground.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Still may need a snow machine the 3rd week of May this year

This.

I'd not plan for Yellowstone in mid-May this year.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go in September. May would be way down on when I would want to go

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep in mind that with COVID vaccinations, there's a LOT of pent-up demand for outdoor recreation and travel. Most folks are just jonesing for a normal vacation, so I expect the parks to be just slammojammed this year. Worse than usual, which is pretty crowded. All that said, the best way to do YNP is to centralize yourself and take day trips to PARTS of the park. But that requires a good reservation and again, I'm thinking you might already be SOL.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mad Mooner: TRY... to get room reservations at "Chico Hot Springs" near Pray, Montana (35 miles north of Yellowstone Park/Gardiner) for the day/night before you enter Yellowstone.
The swimming/soaking is great and the food fantastic - at one time the Chico Hotsprings Restaurant was the ONLY 5 star restaurant in Montana!
Some of the rooms are humble and some modern and some cabins (really nice!) to rent as well.
Time your tours in Yellowstone to be at Artist Point at or about noon for the best viewing and BEST photography.
The VarmintWife and I did the Chico Hotsprings then Yellowstone then Beartooth Pass/Highway (which is beyond stunning and rated as the second most beautiful highway in America!) again last year.
Look up the Chico Hot Springs web site and study it - we have gone there every year for the last 23 years.
Reservations are needed WELL in advance and we are on the callup after cancellation list as we live nearby (165 miles away) and look forward to the visits there - especially the fantastic Sunday morning brunch!
The loop over the Beartooth Highway/Pass may be good for your return to taxington as it will bring you out right on I-90 after going through Red Lodge.
The VarmintWife spotted the most beautiful Grizzly on the Beartooth Highway (not in the park and not to far off the road) last year and I spotted several small groups of Mt. Goats in the mountains there - camping is free on most spots along this highway - it appeared to me. MANY stunning vistas and lakes along the highway.
Drive careful and enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Early fall is best but May (before the "crowds") isn't bad

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 70 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,481
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.