Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Halogen work lights crank out the heat as well,
Shark bites are a good fix if the copper hasn't swelled a little due to the freeze.

Best of luck guys down in that mess

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Learn to run PEX.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would suggest putting some Yankee water in your lines or possibly even taking some advice from a Yankee. I've had -30*F here for two weeks and still no frozen water lines.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Roof rats are a fact of life around here, almost all the pipes in this old house are copper, but one newer section of PEX was chewed by a roof rat. Fortunately it had just happened when I woke up and heard the water running. That pipe had been in place for fifteen years, so it ain’t an everyday occurrence but it can happen.

Sharkbite caps are friggin awesome, I hope the guy who invented them is a billionaire.

Between the possibility of roof rats and the climate, I’d take the time to put in copper over PEX down here, unless there’s something else that a rodent won’t chew.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Would suggest being at home when it starts to warm up, don’t want water damage on top of everything else.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by White_Bear
I would suggest putting some Yankee water in your lines or possibly even taking some advice from a Yankee. I've had -30*F here for two weeks and still no frozen water lines.

It's not nearly as fun as blaming the blackouts on liberals, but most of the problems in Texas are due to facilities (and Ken's toilet plumbing) not being designed to handle the cold. This happens every dozen years or so and everyone promises to spend money on upgrades, but like people rebuilding mansions in California fire zones, the downside is soon forgotten.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I hope you know a little about plumbing because there is going to be hundreds of millions to billions in water damage with tens of thousands of homes without power. Plumbers and contractors are going to be booked up for months.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by las
Hope it's PEX....

If copper, I believe they can be thawed by putting an electric welder on it - I don't know the exact procedure. I guess the juice will heat the copper, thawing the water inside.

Hopefully the water stays inside....

Where did you hear that? Copper water pipe is grounded.

las is right. It’s done a lot. Don’t know the procedure though.

Perhaps ungrounded, then attached. Gotta know where the freeze block is, and go on either side of it.

I think the procedure is to put one welding lead on the ground rod and the other one on the metal water pipe system. Open the faucets and turn the welding machine on. I don't know what amp setting is used.

lightman
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Roof rats are a fact of life around here, almost all the pipes in this old house are copper, but one newer section of PEX was chewed by a roof rat. Fortunately it had just happened when I woke up and heard the water running. That pipe had been in place for fifteen years, so it ain’t an everyday occurrence but it can happen.

Sharkbite caps are friggin awesome, I hope the guy who invented them is a billionaire.

Between the possibility of roof rats and the climate, I’d take the time to put in copper over PEX down here, unless there’s something else that a rodent won’t chew.

Man .. Roof Rats ! Glad we don’t have those here.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Just curious if anyone can answer, what makes an outside faucet a more likely candidate for a freeze problem if there is a hose (empty) attached to it?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Just curious if anyone can answer, what makes an outside faucet a more likely candidate for a freeze problem if there is a hose (empty) attached to it?

Our faucets on side of house have the actual valve 8” or 12” inside the house. You shut off the water, the final 8” is slopes down and drains empty. Water is inside in the insulation.

Leave a hose attached, water won’t drain. That 8” copper freezes and cracks. Doesn’t show up until you use the spigot the next time.

Wife’s grandparents in Texas don’t have the freeze proof ones, they’re just a valve on outside of the house. I’m not sure how they keep from freezing.

Edit to add-if the hose is empty, the valve should be drained.

Last edited by Cheesy; 02/16/21.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 60 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,435
Posts18,470,821
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.