-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Queenston makes a GREAT point,by doing her BEST not too. 'Course the only things she "shoots",are her mouth and Imagination...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fortunately for her,Imagination and Pretend are free,so she can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless her heart for Trying and Crying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would never trust rings with just six screws. I have 10 screw rings custom made.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PaulaBurnedHard,

You'll set astride your Couchbound Kchunt,while practicing your Imagination and Pretend,simply because you MUST...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hell...the rings alone are WELL beyond your "means",but you "get" to read about it and gawk the Splendid Pixels,so now you can say you've "seen" 'em. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for doing your BEST though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I would never trust rings with just six screws. I have 10 screw rings custom made.

LMAO funny Paul.....

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve never failed a set of Talley LW’s but seen enough like that for confidence they were all swapped to Hawkins Hybrids

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I’ve never had any fail but I started using leupold’s back country version. In my completely unqualified opinion, they seem to be higher quality. They’re only downfall is they don’t make a low

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had 6 sets in service at one point. Had the top strap crack around one of the ring screws on a Weatherby ULW in 7mm Wby. Gun was never dropped or exposed to particularly heavy field use as I had rigs I liked better, and round count on it was relatively low at time of failure, likely less than 500. Scope was a Leupold 4.5-14. Screws were torqued to spec. Around the same time, a good friend had the same thing happen on a 300 WSM. I still have 2 sets on lighter recoilers with smaller scopes that don't see a ton of use, but I haven't used them on a new set up in a few years. They look nice, but there's much more robust options out there.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Starbuck; 02/17/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
same set on a 700 action through numerous barrels. min of 16 years, rode hundreds of miles on the handlebars of my bigwhweel motorcycle, thru rough singletrack trails, , numerous wrecks, hundredz of miles in scabbard on my mules,, no issues,, id still be using them but upgraded to 30mm,,, talley 1 piece,,, whats funny is a 20 yrold leupold 4.5x14 that has never changed zero. unless chging loads or barrels, never been back to leupold,,,

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hi folks, Warne makes a light weight weaver style ring. 8-40 torx screws and very meaty while still being lightweight:

https://warnescopemounts.com/product/warne-mountain-tech-1-inch-low-matte-rings/

Had them on a browning 95 scout rifle chambered for a hard recoiling 41 caliber wildcat. Hard miles up mountains, by dog team and by river in canoe. Many hundreds of lbs of moose and caribou meat.

Talley doesn't understand metallurgy. Their offerings are garbage carried by a fkn name.

I once shaped talley model 70 bases to modify them to a savage 99, so I could have that back up peep on a 99.

The metal was softer than I had ever seen, lacking any signs of heat treating. The hand files felt like they were shaving through butter.

Alaska Arms LLC though not lightweights, know how to make a real set of rings as well.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ve ran em on 300 Wby ulw, 340 fibermark, whelen, 204 ruger and a bunch in between, never a problema.

Never lapped a ring in my life, never used a “torque” driver, always use the wrench that comes in the pack, never used a lick of loctite on bases or rings. Have had to have some receivers drilled out after some shovelheaded mongloid used loctite on bases..

Last edited by Judman; 02/17/21.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Best I can recall,is (8) LW Pukes for me thus far,though they have been removed from Service as a whole. Have had 'em Puke most everywhere,be it "base" or "ring" proper,less rhyme or reason,but I admittedly shoot a "smidge" and Trigger Time is tougher on wares than Safe Queen Fondling. Hint.

Everything from 223 to 7 Whizzum,with multiple stops in between and all 1". A 1913 interface with copious ring spacing,has no structural equal,assuming good fasteners,welds or integral construction. Hint.

I've never had a 700 bolt failure,though have shot wellllllllllll over 1000 pounds of powder through same. OEM triggers levers are tender. Hint.

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Hint...................

laugh

Were any of those rifles featured in your movies though! That might speed there demise laugh

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Men, I have about 7 sets on rifles after all of talk about them on here years ago. I just purchased a set of the Leopold's and will install them soon. My question is does anyone make a steel type of ring mount similar to the Talley/ Leupold ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the record I only own one set and don't shoot that particular rifle very much...not that anybody cares...

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ponderosa11
Who here has had a failure with a Talley Lightweight scope mount? Where did they fail? How did they fail?

One set for me. Both ring mounts cracked, at the base.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
For the record I only own one set and don't shoot that particular rifle very much...not that anybody cares...

Mike

I think I own three sets of Talley LW's. I keep them safely packaged (OEM) in the drawer of the end table next to my favorite couch. I'll try to get a picture later.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
i guess everything is prone to break but these were designed by Melvin Forbes and used on his Ultra Light Rifles since 1986 i think and if they had a bad track record he would have scrapped them by now

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by kingston

Mike

I think I own three sets of Talley LW's. I keep them safely packaged (OEM) in the drawer of the end table next to my favorite couch. I'll try to get a picture later.

Lol.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Mike

grin

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I've had two sets where the top rings cracked. One on a .308 and one on a .300 wsm. Both were torqued to spec. I'll never trust the things again.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Mike

For the photo you need to toss em in a river with a doughball-caught carp on an eagle claw next to em.

That’ll complete the look.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.