Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Been looking at Youtube videos of fishing and hunting in Alaska, and am starting to notice that wearing gloves in warmer weather seems to be a thing.

First noticed it with some guys hunting that were using bright blue colored rubber gloves. Almost what you would use to wash the dishes with, but maybe a bit heavier. Oops, there goes the camo look.

Then I noticed it on both hunters and fishermen in videos. Did not look like the situation was cold. (Although there was the usual rain in SE AK).

Are warm-ish weather gloves a "thing"? If yes, what's the reason? Water? Cold? Gay-ity?

And if yes: what are the right ones to get? (Thinking September black bear hunt combined with pinks and silvers on POW)

Any input appreciated.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wear sun screen gloves fishing
Long sleeves and a neck gaitor as well

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Yeah. I have noticed that as well. Those guys that shoot 6.5 Creedmoors all wear gloves in the summer.

Just kidding. smile

Last edited by Calcoyote; 02/16/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wear Nike batting gloves for skeet shooting all summer.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can’t say about AK fishing, but here in MT I always have gloves in my pack for summer backpacking in the Highcountry. It snows here every month of the year. I can also say, my experience on the North Atlantic is it can get cold rapidly, so assume AK would be similar. Tough to fish if you’re hands are seized up. Also, since mosquitoes can be awful in AK, I can only assume gloves are sometimes a necessary layer of protection.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I haven't paid much attention to what other guys do, so I don't know if it's a thing, but I hunt and hike with work gloves. Not for cold, but for all the grabbing I have to do going up and down steep stuff here in the mountains. Especially helpful when it's a handful of rosehips I have to grab, and even more helpful if it's devils club...maybe there's a lot more bushwhacking you have to do here. 90%+ of the time, there are no established trails, at least where I am anyway.

B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Elaboration on the gloves I have been noticing: They go up your arm one third-halfway to the elbow, it looks like. Sorta like glove-gaiters. Not unlike rubber kitchen glove versions of welders gloves. Or something you'd see someone wear in a fish processing factory.

Interesting,

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Okay, I've not seen anyone wearing anything like that...but then I rarely see anyone in the places I go. I imagine it's for the same reasons I wear gloves though, especially if they're dealing with devils club.

http://www.centralcoastbiodiversity.org/uploads/1/4/9/9/14993002/1415847_orig.jpg

It's nasty stuff to go through. I once had to pack several loads of a moose through a patch of devil's club. I had red welts on my thighs for months afterwards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I picked up some “tactical” gloves from Sportsmans Guide. Goatskin palms, Nomex backs allegedly. Fit well (rare for me), not warm, but great protection while doing stuff. They’re pretty long, almost gauntlets. Excellent quality. I also like the fingerless neoprene ones for working outside. Little cuts and blisters on my hands make life miserable.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wear a thin pair of outdoor research short finger gloves if I will be fishing all day. The back of your hands dont get sun burnt. It makes a huge difference.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The past couple of years I've started wearing light leather gloves in the summer, well actually all seasons, when I'm outside. Sunburn, mosquitoes, honey locust, etc.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The bearded millennials think they have to have every piece of gear ever invented to hunt anything. And if it doesn't cost $$$$$$$$ than it's probably crap.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you are seeing something like the link below, hopefully it isn't too warm of weather. That style, with the optional knit liner is pretty good for boat work. Salt water spray on the hands, with a little wind can numb fingers pretty quick, even in moderate temps. Working with anything aluminum will also suck the heat out of your hands quick. Those stop the wind completely, and they are cheap enough to use and toss when worn out. Dexterity sucks but they go on and off easily.

In actual cold, the pvc is so stiff they are pretty worthless.

Not the exact ones I'm m thinking of, but close:

https://www.galeton.com/triple-coated-pvc-gloves-1-pair/70651PR-product/?set=FreeShip_50&gclid=CjwKCAiAmrOBBhA0EiwArn3mfJnGh1d2powQ0YH7LiqyAe8SgRfKv03B9UinbHzJUUGgn_e0RxLOJhoCrBgQAvD_BwE&code=FREESHIP50&page=https://www.galeton.com/triple-coated-pvc-gloves-1-pair/70651PR-product/

B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the replies to far, very helpful.

The true practicality of such gloves for an upcoming summer/fall Alaska trip is coming into better focus. I now get it:

1) For wet/cold as in aluminum skiff where sea water sprays on you, and you are also handling shrimp and crab pots and cleaning fish.

2) For rough situations on land, such as fighting your way past the devils club, over wet and moss covered rocks, and other indignities.

Both of these situations would be very expected for my next trip.

While looking at the recommended links, and others served up on the web, I also get the comments about both affordable and rediculous - one pair I saw was a couple hundred bucks. For summer/fall weight gloves? Absurd. To their credit the expensive ones were camo though, and both color coded and logo'd to the rest of a persons camo outfit, so a feller could certainly accessorize.....I suppose.

It looks increasingly like this year's trip - if there is one - will be a fly in (vs drive) so I'd have to go very skinny on the gear.

But I do believe there will be now be a couple sets of gloves aboard: mebbe a set of those bright rubber ones and...prolly something like inexpensive Mechanix style gloves with color coding not a top priority.

So thanks again!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
as Brad said the mosquitos are bad in Alaska. I hunted north of Nome in August one year, I had gloves on and a face net on.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For your #1 scenario, this is how I'd go:

Gloves

Liners

Nice to be able to remove liners to get them dried out.

For #2, good luck. The only thing i have found that will turn devils club is waxed leather. I pretty much hate waxed leather because of how non user-friendly it is. Ive been happy with leather fencing gloves (barbed wire, not foils) when treated with obenauf's as a comprise between flexibility and protection. Above treeline, i like a thinner mechanix style leather or synthetic glove, mainly for abrasion and sharp rock protection.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Mechanix Wear Vent - my summer light weight go to for any light job that I might need a glove on for.

I’ve scarred enough skin over the years to finally heed my Dads advice, and wear a glove outdoors.

I like the Vents as they are very light weight, pack down, and aren’t hot to wear. Skeeters are a problem in VA, the gloves are just enough to cover your hands in early Fall, and keep most of them off of you.

For now hunting, they’re short enough to not bind up with a release, and comfortable enough to wear with one.

For fishing, especially bowfishing on the Potomac - a light glove is great for handling carp, gar, or a snakehead. Especially after handling spawning carp, they slime and crap egg roe everywhere.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was a fly fishing guide in Alaska. It was cold enough to wear wool finger less gloves most of the time. Other reasons are sun protection, mosquito protection (the gloves hold repellent better) and line protection. Either sun gloves or light neoprene are good for fishing, some have the finger protector on the stripping fingers. Gloves alone are enough to keep no see ums and other small flies away, coated with deet works for mosquitos. It may also help to absorb less deet through the skin. And you won't get deet on your man bun, just take the gloves off.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wear Primos lightweight gloves in early hunts when hunting the low country here for poison oak protection. I wear rubber gloves for cleaning game.

LOL
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I always have a pair of White OX around. Keep them in my pickup, summer backpack, camper, some in the shop, have a pair or two on the backporch. They work all year, even summer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

249 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 2UP, 31 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,289
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.