Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Me neither.
They call them Wind Farms.
There's nothing natural growing on those "farms".
They are as ugly as three mile island, but take up more space.

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Kotzebue Alaska sits 35 miles north of the Arctic Circle. Solar power is, at best, a negligible option , even in summer. They do get 17% of their annual power from the wind generators outside of town, saving, IIRC from my time there, almost 2 million gallons of diesel, their other power source.

Them Eskimos ain't dumb - wind power SUPPLEMENTS their full capacity (including back-up) diesel generators, reducing their fuel costs.

Theoretically, anyway- I have no doubt those wind generators were very heavily subsidized from Federal and maybe State sources. They are very good at getting "free" stuff.

As far as I know, their generators have never frozen up (broken down, yes) , and weather conditions there vs Texas are way less salubrious.

As someone said on Shannon tonight, selecting "cool" new stuff over reliability has consequences. But I gotta wonder- who fked up and/or got paid off on those TX wind generators, given Kotzebue's and Nome's successes with wind generating.

Last edited by las; 02/16/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
the only thing liberals are good at is killing babies and sodomizing each other

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las

As someone said on Shannon tonight, selecting "cool" new stuff over reliability has consequences. But I gotta wonder- who fked up and/or got paid off on those TX wind generators, given Kotzebue's and Nome's successes with wind generating.

Bean counters calculated the risks of cold weather in both Kotz and Texas and determined the expense of cold weather packages were warranted in only one of those locations.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by las

Bean counters calculated the risks of cold weather in both Kotz and Texas and determined the expense of cold weather packages were warranted in only one of those locations.

I don't doubt it in the least..... smile. But then they were counting green beans, not human beans. (sic).

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by las

Deregulation of Electrical Power Provider are as much to blame for Texas current state of affairs as anything. The cheapest kW to lure customers to different providers led to little reason to invest in infrastructure and to maximize profits in the present financial quarter to maintain investors in their stock. It's good for the consumer for short term kW pricing, but has had the effect of not reinvesting in grid structure due to lowered profit margins. Don't see it getting any better in the near future.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA

Heather Zichal, CEO of the industry group the American Clean Power Association, said opponents of renewable energy were trying to distract from the failures elsewhere in the system and slow the “transition to a clean energy future.”

“It is disgraceful to see the longtime antagonists of clean power – who attack it whether it is raining, snowing or the sun is shining – engaging in a politically opportunistic charade misleading Americans to promote an agenda that has nothing to do with restoring power to Texas communities,” she said.

What a liberal kuhunt.

Look at her employment record.

She may wanna look in the mirror when talking about "promote an agenda"... LOL.

Worthless liberal trash.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Austin "Bread Line" Today

(Twitter feed list of Videos of loong line in the cold waiting to get what groceries might be left.)

https://www.infowars.com/posts/brea...outside-grocery-store-amid-winter-storm/

Quote:

"Update: Still no power. It’s impossible to drive out of our apartment complex so we started walking the 4-mile round trip to HEB — this is the line wrapping behind the building."

There are lines for hundreds of yards!

Anyone checked this out yet?

I don’t doubt it, a 200 yard/30 minute wait to get into our local HEB yesterday afternoon.

Only section of the store I saw empty shelves was the fresh/frozen meats section. No purchase limits on anything I saw but folks was rushing around in emergency mode. I believe the wait was due to a store capacity issue and a desire to avert chaos inside more’n anything else.

A lot of people are gonna be hurting around here, already broke on account of the Covid shutdown, and now hit with frozen pipes. My Ex-MiL’s neighbor, an older lady who lives alone, is getting her water in buckets from my MiL’s house. She’s in a bind at present, that’s for sure.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

(Twitter feed list of Videos of loong line in the cold waiting to get what groceries might be left.)

Quote:

"Update: Still no power. It’s impossible to drive out of our apartment complex so we started walking the 4-mile round trip to HEB — this is the line wrapping behind the building."

I don’t doubt it, a 200 yard/30 minute wait to get into our local HEB yesterday afternoon.

Only section of the store I saw empty shelves was the fresh/frozen meats section. No purchase limits on anything I saw but folks was rushing around in emergency mode. I believe the wait was due to a store capacity issue and a desire to avert chaos inside more’n anything else.

A lot of people are gonna be hurting around here, already broke on account of the Covid shutdown, and now hit with frozen pipes. My Ex-MiL’s neighbor, an older lady who lives alone, is getting her water in buckets from my MiL’s house. She’s in a bind at present, that’s for sure.

Sheesh ...... that's a sad picture.
My heart goes out to you all.
Up east, we get a hard cold from - 5-20 for a while +/- each year, but it's always been that way, plus the grid is usually stable except when snowy tree limbs knock down lines. Some of the most dangerous times are when the grid is down at times like these.
. We were never forced to stand in line
That is outrageous that people are forced to wait out in the cold to get into a store. This covid tyranny has gone too far.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve got multiple friends in the central Texas area that haven’t had power or water since 2am Monday morning, this is friggin insane! The damages to their homes are unknown at this point and they can’t drive anywhere because of the sheet ice and them owning 2wd vehicles, they are so screwed!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I lived in a cold climate I knew how to prep my 4x4 for winter. Obviously the power company doesn't . In other parts of the country, you have wind turbines whirling away at 40 below. Ice storms take down trees and power lines as well. There is nothing you can do about them except fix the lines. Of course you have to have power on to know where the breaks are. Why doesn't Texas buy surplus power ? I know it costs more.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Quote:

Sheesh ...... that's a sad picture.
My heart goes out to you all.
Up east, we get a hard cold from - 5-20 for a while +/- each year, but it's always been that way, plus the grid is usually stable except when snowy tree limbs knock down lines. Some of the most dangerous times are when the grid is down at times like these.
. We were never forced to stand in line
That is outrageous that people are forced to wait out in the cold to get into a store. This covid tyranny has gone too far.

I think the standing in line is that particular grocery store. Heb had lined all over town. Heb by me had a Iine probably 75 yards ling, drove 1/2 mile up the road and Walmart had no lines and had everything in stock other than eggs and 1# propane bottles

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Unfortunately, again our "news" and politicians only tell the parts of the story that fit their narrative.

The issue isn't that wind turbines are icing up, wind is only a small part of the Texas grid and most of them are still spinning. The main issue is gas curtailment bringing plants off line so there's enough gas for home heating. Most northern combined cycle plants (that were historically further from the natural gas source) were designed as dual fuel, allowing them to run on fuel oil during times of curtailment. Many of the southern or gulf coast plants were designed as natural gas fired only.

The other issue is many of these plants weren't properly winterized and they're tripping due to faulty instrument readings from moisture freezing in sensing lines or parts of the feedwater freezing. Same thing that happened in 2011. Poor planning all the way around.

It just goes to show how important a balanced energy policy is that includes gas, oil, wind, solar, coal, hydro, geothermal and nuclear. I shudder when I see states and communities pushing for new housing to be "all electric" including all appliances. Our country has a total of 2 hours of reserve electrical power, versus 60 days of hydrocarbons. Thank goodness I have a fireplace, gas furnaces, gas water heater and gas cook stove. Even though the gas furnaces still need electricity for the fans, it can be supplied by a small generator if necessary.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Big Wind is just another scam.

Yes. They have never been a reliable energy source. Without subsidies, there would be no wind farms.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well...then lets tear out everything and just run nuclear.

Natural gas sounds reeeeeeal reliable....snort!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, nuke power is cheap. If .Gov regulations would get out of the way, we’d all have cheap electricity.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

There is more Natural Gas shut down than wind. Almost 2 to 1 . Texas failed to purchase Blade heaters for the Wind turbines, To much money. Now the blades are frozen

Except those that have had antifreeze dropped on them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Yep, nuke power is cheap. If .Gov regulations would get out of the way, we’d all have cheap electricity.

It’ll be so cheap, we won’t have to meter it!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is this what global warming looks like?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
But look at all the money they saved on cold weather prep and insulation.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1badf350, 1234, 3040Krag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 47 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,037
Posts18,521,025
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.