Home
The al gore, sodom Hussain 0bumma wind turbines around the country are as reliable as this after rain and a freeze. The video and short article points this out from Texas. These have gone in all around the country to replace coal plants.
Thoughts?

https://www.infowars.com/posts/un-backed-great-reset-turns-off-texas-power/
If I were wanting factual news, infowars is the bottom of the barrel.

I'd say they were about 40% accurate on news stories.
Big Wind is just another scam.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
The al gore, sodom Hussain 0bumma wind turbines around the country are as reliable as this after rain and a freeze. The video and short article points this out from Texas. These have gone in all around the country to replace coal plants.
Thoughts?

Oh, for the love of fuhgk.
RB,

Are those still wind turbines in the video just props?
I don't buy everything any news group says. What news out of texas do you put your trust in ?
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

We've got them all over the east too.
I don't like air pollution, but the coal is cheap and a whole lot cleaner plants than china and other slave labor countries. I would like to know how many politicians have investment capital from wind turbines.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Thoughts?

Damn you are a fu c k ing retard.
RB,

Are those still wind turbines in the video just props?
I don't buy everything any news group says. What news out of texas do you put your trust in ?

Funny post there lefty, even the power companies are saying the wind turbines are freezing and seizing. They are blaming them for our outages, the people who own them.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Awesome?

Quien Sabe?

GWB
Every energy source has it's issues. While I feel for everyone without power, power loss is a fact of life in the mountains of Colorado - regardless of how it's produced. It's a fact in many places of the country because of hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, snow storms, flooding, etc. To not have a plan B is the homeowner's fault. If you rely so much on electricity that you can't go 5 hours without it, shame on you for not thinking of that. Can be a whole house generator, small portable generator, or a battery bank and inverter that charges off the grid or solar. Tesla makes whole house batteries and inverters.
Originally Posted by geedubya

Awesome?

Quien Sabe?

GWB
Yep.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Another source for story of frozen wind turbines
The average turbine produces 1.5mw. You really think that’s what’s killing the power right now?

I bet Comanche and STP make almost 5000mw combined plus whatever coal is left for peak demand. There is not enough wind to make a dent in base load.

The blackouts are planned to maximize profit for the power plants. There are selling power to the pool and the planned blackouts ensure they will meet the contract and not be offline.
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Every energy source has it's issues. While I feel for everyone without power, power loss is a fact of life in the mountains of Colorado - regardless of how it's produced. It's a fact in many places of the country because of hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, snow storms, flooding, etc. To not have a plan B is the homeowner's fault. If you rely so much on electricity that you can't go 5 hours without it, shame on you for not thinking of that. Can be a whole house generator, small portable generator, or a battery bank and inverter that charges off the grid or solar. Tesla makes whole house batteries and inverters.
There are old folks that worked hard all their lives and didn't party it up. They're now on fixed incomes and don't have the $5000 minimum it would take to set up what you're talking about. They may not be in physical shape to eff with system that isn't "on demand". There are also young folks just starting out that, through no fault of their own, simply don't have the money either.

Power companies can blame who they want, and that's generally everybody but themselves. Big Wind is driven by the same big boys who ultimately own the power companies and big wind is a scam through and through. Secondly, it has implications for all the green shixt that's being used to destroy our country. So like most stuff, it's money first and then fun and games second. Disbelieve me at your peril.
I think Infowars is right. This is an agenda, a plan to fail. The elites don't care if you don't have power. They have power over you. If you would stop giving away your power, you'd also have power.
The plan is to go wind/solar first with NG/Coal as backup.

No worries as Jo&Ho control the NG/Coal spigot and decide when/if any certain area should receive it.
I had a buddy who worked on those.
It's something how much they cost and how unreliable they are.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I think Infowars is right. This is an agenda, a plan to fail. The elites don't care if you don't have power. They have power over you. If you would stop giving away your power, you'd also have power.

Somewhat rings a reminder bell, masks anyone?

A lot of gentle folks on here don't like the things he says because he raises his voice. They are used to a Walter Cronkite type. As far as Im concerned, people have a reason to be upset.
I was thinking the same thing. The uber wealthy have absolutely no concerns for the pion middle America other than to use them. It's always been about $ and control. They fly to third world nations to preach that they should not have luxuries that emit carbon, then use more in one trip than a whole village uses in a year.
Originally Posted by Rifles And More
The average turbine produces 1.5mw. You really think that’s what’s killing the power right now?

I bet Comanche and STP make almost 5000mw combined plus whatever coal is left for peak demand. There is not enough wind to make a dent in base load.

The blackouts are planned to maximize profit for the power plants. There are selling power to the pool and the planned blackouts ensure they will meet the contract and not be offline.

They did that up north from Chicago to NY a while back. It came out that it was intentional so they could put in the mega TRAIL line and one more. It was paid for and continue to be paid by states that didn't benefit, like ohio and WV to provide more power to DC and NY.
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
There are old folks that worked hard all their lives and didn't party it up. They're now on fixed incomes and don't have the $5000 minimum it would take to set up what you're talking about. They may not be in physical shape to eff with system that isn't "on demand". There are also young folks just starting out that, through no fault of their own, simply don't have the money either.

Power companies can blame who they want, and that's generally everybody but themselves. Big Wind is driven by the same big boys who ultimately own the power companies and big wind is a scam through and through. Secondly, it has implications for all the green shixt that's being used to destroy our country. So like most stuff, it's money first and then fun and games second. Disbelieve me at your peril.

I don't care who is responsible for the outages or how much money you have or don't have. Being prepped is not a left or right thing. Having a plan B in life is prudent, regardless of the situation. 4500W generators are available for $300+, that's a far cry from $5000. It's no different than having a savings account, some extra food/water, extra Rx meds, guns/ammo, spare gas for the car. You can get a 2000W Honda for $999 that is quiet enough for an apartment balcony. I'm seriously considering updating my electric to 100% off the grid solar, batteries and inverter. The government continues to prove it's uselessness.
It's going to cost a lot of money one of these days removing those POS from the landscape

Awesome?

Quien Sabe?

GWB

So like if the turbines on the helicopter are frozen, how is it in the air? Couldn’t we just like put extension cords on the helicopter and harness all that free energy?

Sincerely,

A.O.C.

I'm thinking I can put my wall tent stove to work.

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]
Whatever works. 👍
How's it going in Austin today?
Is Alex Jones lying to us?
Originally Posted by 700LH
It's going to cost a lot of money one of these days removing those POS from the landscape

True.
There's some interesting homes built from the decommissioned blades.
A lot of those windmills are not even connected to the grid whether they work or not.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
A lot of those windmills are not even connected to the grid whether they work or not.
Total scam.
I call BS to them being froze.
There might be a message in the name "Big Wind"
Whatever works. 👍
How's it going in Austin today?
Is Alex Jones lying to us?

It's cold! 8 yesterday morning and 10 this morning. I never lost power which is a miracle because the last time we had rolling blackouts my power was cycled off 55 minutes out of every hour. My friend's power has been off since 2am yesterday. He said his house was 40 this morning and his hot water line was frozen at the kitchen sink.

No clue if Alex is lying but I've been suspicious of him since he was on public access. I've seen him around town a few times. He drives a black suburban...

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]
Wind farm = sellable tax credits.
Originally Posted by 16bore
Wind farm = sellable tax credits.

Bingo!

A lot of gentle folks on here don't like the things he says because he raises his voice. They are used to a Walter Cronkite type. As far as Im concerned, people have a reason to be upset.
I was thinking the same thing. The uber wealthy have absolutely no concerns for the pion middle America other than to use them. It's always been about $ and control. They fly to third world nations to preach that they should not have luxuries that emit carbon, then use more in one trip than a whole village uses in a year.

Walter Cronkite was taught to talk like that. It is the same tone and modulation that hypnotists use. I wonder why? Why do all the media pundits moderate their tone on modulation in just a couple ways? One produces ire, such as the one Tucker Carlson uses. One produces compliance. Such as Cronkite, Rather, Brokaw, and dozens of others. What other modulations can you come up with?

All those years studying psychology were good for something.
Whiptail,

Miracle, for sure.
I'm surely glad you are doing well.
I'm praying for you all.

Around here, brittle tree limbs get weighted down and break over power lines. Those lines are the weakest link. My buddy told me how much maintenance and repair is needed daily on the wind turbines. It's the first time I've heard of them freezing. Regardless, it seems like a major design flaw. You'd think they'd know about that before installation.

I've got some issues with jones too. None of the accusations my local friend made like AJ working for Israel, being a shill for George Soros, a comedian that died and is a double.
From an Austinite thats listened since the 90s, what has been your major concern with him?

Awesome?

Quien Sabe?

GWB

Is that chopper powered by diesel or fairy dust?

Walter Cronkite was taught to talk like that. It is the same tone and modulation that hypnotists use. I wonder why? Why do all the media pundits moderate their tone on modulation in just a couple ways? One produces ire, such as the one Tucker Carlson uses. One produces compliance. Such as Cronkite, Rather, Brokaw, and dozens of others. What other modulations can you come up with?

All those years studying psychology were good for something.

Interesting points ..
It reminds me of communication classes.
I was told that most of the major news casters came from a part of the country with a certain dialect or subtle accent too. The cadence, meter, tone, everything is chosen to convince the audience, isn't it?
Have you seen any of the videos that have dozens of them speaking the same script ?
Happy_Camper,

Thanks! We're all hanging in there but plumbing repairs are scary!

My Dad is convinced renewables are a complete scam. While I think they are interesting, the technology isn't ready for the amount that are being installed. Plus I don't think they will ever be as cost competitive especially when they require so much backup. I don't think this will stop the government from pushing them though.

I knew a guy, who was also on public access, who would hang out with Alex. He used to say Alex was a cool guy but as he got to know him said he was wacko. I think he sells paranoia p0rn(at an incredible profit - like $100K a day!) but that doesn't mean he's wrong about everything...
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Thoughts?

and the Sake of Pete!
Details & actually making a project or a program work doesn't affect the Demons..................they just look at it from 40,000 ft. Everything sounds good until you have to make it work.

Fu^ckin' idiots. And sadly, in the end, it won't even accomplish their green objectives, such as they may be or they imagine them to be.

Free lunches don't last in the real world & everything comes at a cost or tradeoff.

MM
Originally Posted by Whiptail

fugly, but effective. not a long term solution. keep an extinguisher handy! grin
Rev 7:1 ¶ After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth, that no wind might blow on earth or sea or against any tree.

Here's one to consider. A time is coming, no one knows when or for how long, when there will be no wind anywhere on earth. Hot places will keep getting hotter as there will be no wind to move the hot air away, likewise cold places will get much colder. Of course no windmills will turn. Places with air pollution will get a lot worse with no air circulation. Air stagnation will be the rule. Earth's entire weather pattern will radically change as mixing of temps and moisture will stop. Plant growth is very dependent on wind to move pollen from plant to plant. The bees don't do it all, for sure. Many of our crops won't get pollinated and won't grow. Without seeds or plant growth, many animals will face starvation.

Awesome?

Quien Sabe?

GWB

Yep, petroleum products being sprayed to get them running again.
But it's an electric helicopter, right?

Have you seen any of the videos that have dozens of them speaking the same script ?

I have. Only a literal handful of people decide what the "news" is going to be for the day, for every "news" outlet out there.
Nothing inherently wrong with wind generation.

I dont understand why natural gas has been so cheap for so long though.

Unnaturally cheap.

I think it's funny that people will piss and moan about how dirty the oil sands are....but want coal power and nothing else.
Thoughts?

Oh, FFS, there’s wind turbines all over the bleeping foothills around here, none of them ever “freeze” and we get a good bit colder than just 0.

The problem is Texans operating wind turbines, not wind turbines.
Originally Posted by Dutch
Thoughts?

Oh, FFS, there’s wind turbines all over the bleeping foothills around here, none of them ever “freeze” and we get a good bit colder than just 0.

A "there I feel better about myself" response from someone who doesn't truly know jack about what he's being an expert on...........
You foreigners go back where you came from. We made it just fine before y’all showed up. A country boy will survive. GFY
God Bless Texas
Thoughts?

OK wise guy how often do you get freezing rain? Snow is not the problem in Texas it is the "wintery mix". By the way I was born in Idaho and between the Mormons and liberals crapping up Idaho I think Texas is a better place presently.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Unnaturally cheap.

I think it's funny that people will piss and moan about how dirty the oil sands are....but want coal power and nothing else.

Coal is reliable and Wind is not, it is as simple as that.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Wind+generation+controversy%3F&t=newext&atb=v250-1&ia=web
Originally Posted by RDW

Awesome?

Quien Sabe?

GWB

Is that chopper powered by diesel or fairy dust?

Wind. Don't you see the propeller? 😁
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Rev 7:1 ¶ After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth, that no wind might blow on earth or sea or against any tree.

Here's one to consider. A time is coming, no one knows when or for how long, when there will be no wind anywhere on earth. Hot places will keep getting hotter as there will be no wind to move the hot air away, likewise cold places will get much colder. Of course no windmills will turn. Places with air pollution will get a lot worse with no air circulation. Air stagnation will be the rule. Earth's entire weather pattern will radically change as mixing of temps and moisture will stop. Plant growth is very dependent on wind to move pollen from plant to plant. The bees don't do it all, for sure. Many of our crops won't get pollinated and won't grow. Without seeds or plant growth, many animals will face starvation.

What makes you think that a time is coming when there will be no wind, anywhere?
Originally Posted by rickt300
Thoughts?

OK wise guy how often do you get freezing rain? Snow is not the problem in Texas it is the "wintery mix". By the way I was born in Idaho and between the Mormons and liberals crapping up Idaho I think Texas is a better place presently.

Yeah, I’ve spent time in Texas, you can have it.

There’s lots of turbines in a heck of a lot more severe environments than West Texas. The ones on the Columbia river gorge are still spinning, and Portland got about an inch of freezing rain in the last few days. The ones in Denmark are still going, in salt water, gale winds and last week’s record cold snap.

It ain’t the turbines, it’s the Texans.

That's some insight coming from a Rock Chuck.
Even Mr. Owl could learn something from that.
Originally Posted by xxclaro

What makes you think that a time is coming when there will be no wind, anywhere?

The rest of what John was told is correct.
Why not these end times prophecies?
Is Texas hooked to the national grid??

Southern Co. could be sending power that way to help boost their grid if it was.

Mike
Most of the power generated from the place in Mcadoo TX goes to Louisiana or so i have been told.

The same can be said for most all of the large projects,solar as well.

It don't stay in Texas.
"It isn't the turbines," is correct. Our wind turbines here in the north are equipped and outfitted for cold weather operation. Electric heat in the nacelle and to the blades to get the ice to drop off, etc. I haven't heard of a wind farm outage in this region, but its possible. Whether it makes sense to outfit southern wind farms with cold weather packages on their turbines is something for people in those locations to decide.

I think one issue is that the extreme cold caused by high pressure domes is usually accompanied by still air. Wind was nonexistent; still here all weekend long but started to blow from the SE yesterday. Most people don't know that the prevailing wind is actually SE rather than NW.
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Southern Co. could be sending power that way to help boost their grid if it was.

Mike

There are three grids in the USA. East, West and Texas. They are connected ,but not in sync with each other. Power is transferred between the three with large Converter/Inverter units to sync them to 0 degree for transfer. This limits the amount of wattage to be transferred between grids. This is left over from the Cold War era when the EMP from an atomic bomb wasn't large enough or the missiles having enough range to disable the entire 48 states. That way one grid could have been used to jump start the effected grids.

Unnaturally cheap.

Coal is reliable and Wind is not, it is as simple as that.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Wind+generation+controversy%3F&t=newext&atb=v250-1&ia=web

Its hardly that simple.
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Mike

There are three grids in the USA. East, West and Texas. They are connected ,but not in sync with each other. Power is transferred between the three with large Converter/Inverter units to sync them to 0 degree for transfer. This limits the amount of wattage to be transferred between grids. This is left over from the Cold War era when the EMP from an atomic bomb wasn't large enough or the missiles having enough range to disable the entire 48 states. That way one grid could have been used to jump start the effected grids.

Maybe that's another reason why we should do what we can afford to do to become energy independent.
I think most of us can do without lights as inconvenient as that is, but few can go without heat. Unfortunately, the commercial offerings have us dependant upon electric blowers, safety switches and such.
Originally Posted by BKinSD
"It isn't the turbines," is correct. Our wind turbines here in the north are equipped and outfitted for cold weather operation. Electric heat in the nacelle and to the blades to get the ice to drop off, etc. I haven't heard of a wind farm outage in this region, but its possible. Whether it makes sense to outfit southern wind farms with cold weather packages on their turbines is something for people in those locations to decide.

I think one issue is that the extreme cold caused by high pressure domes is usually accompanied by still air. Wind was nonexistent; still here all weekend long but started to blow from the SE yesterday. Most people don't know that the prevailing wind is actually SE rather than NW.

Interesting.
That might explain the difference between my region and the southern grid.
Record low in my area of W Texas was --23 in Feb '33. Sure glad it didnt hit that here this time.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Record low in my area of W Texas was --23 in Feb '33. Sure glad it didnt hit that here this time.

That's for sure.
MINUS 23 gets dangerous right now.

https://www.brighteon.com/ebe8d067-d383-4ad9-b088-2512b5ac2795

Here's a little bit more about Texas.
Thoughts?

Yeah, its all we can do to be the nations greatest supplier of oil for your plastic cars, TVs, computers, and gas from 18,000 ft deep and from 7000 ft deep terrain in the Gulf.

Originally Posted by Whiptail

Nice to see at least one Texan is capable of taking care of himself.

Most these guys are proving to be a bunch of pussy entitlists.

I've seen grocery shelves wiped out, gas stations out of fuel in 24 hours and power lost for days after hurricanes hit Florida and even the transplanted New Yorkers don't cry as much.

What the hell you guys gonna do if something really goes wrong if you can't care for yourselves through this?

I'd suppose this is a preview, you're going to run around pointing fingers and blaming others for your own shortcomings.

Might one suggest sprouting a pair, take care of your schit and then go help your neighbor?
I think youre thinking about the dimocraps of pigment around New Orleans. There was no crying or news stories of hundreds of thousands of Texans all over Southeast Texas though many places went 2 mo feeding mosquitoes and with no electricity in that and a another storm a few years later.
We know what the Yanks did with the South shot them the finger and said adios, MF. Though most states had entered the Union with the explicit agreements they could seceed whenever any saw fit we know what happenec with a Bolshevik derivative ruling as POTUS.
My only gripe with the mills, the farmland they take up.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
My only gripe with the mills, the farmland they take up.

And millions of migrating birds they kill each year?
If not for Lincoln we wouldnt now be slaves to the Deep State, Lieberals and AAs.
If not for Lincoln we wouldnt now be slaves to the Deep State, Lieberals and AAs.

An interesting article which provides a perspective forbidden by the indoctrination centers in every community...... public schools.

https://thenewamerican.com/abraham-lincoln-political-tyrant/
the wind farms i know of have been dismal. Keeping them online is a nightmare, ironically, if it is blowing too fast they have to be shut down. Maintenance is expensive and actually very dangerous work. bottom line, none of them manage to exceed 30% of projected efficiency. Without politics and .gov $$ they wouldn't even exist. The ones is Europe, which were contructed before the projects here in the States, are starting to fail, Spain in particular.

Naw Dawg, Niqqas be free 'n 9hit!

Wur my welfare check?

Awesome?

Quien Sabe?

GWB

That IS awesome, GW! Climatism, indeed!! lol
Thoughts?

There’s lots of turbines in a heck of a lot more severe environments than West Texas. The ones on the Columbia river gorge are still spinning, and Portland got about an inch of freezing rain in the last few days. The ones in Denmark are still going, in salt water, gale winds and last week’s record cold snap.

If you are so fk'n in the know, tell everyone how they are not operated properly in Texas.
Thoughts?

Like I said the Mormon and the liberals. Forgot to add bigots. If you can't get by here then you are a leftist, not enough handouts. It is neat how you liberals can't seem to stop with the stupid and your better than anyone else BS.
Originally Posted by RDW

If you are so fk'n in the know, tell everyone how they are not operated properly in Texas.

thank goodness we don't need fossil fuels
Originally Posted by RDW

How much hydro power is produced in Texas and California? Those Chinese windmills sure phugged up one of most beautiful areas in America, the Columbia gorge. Putting chinese windmills next to hydro power? What a phugged communist chinese led idea
Austin "Bread Line" Today

(Twitter feed list of Videos of loong line in the cold waiting to get what groceries might be left.)

https://www.infowars.com/posts/brea...outside-grocery-store-amid-winter-storm/

Quote:

"Update: Still no power. It’s impossible to drive out of our apartment complex so we started walking the 4-mile round trip to HEB — this is the line wrapping behind the building."

There are lines for hundreds of yards!
This is the beginning of the domino effect of things to come. I don't think we even talked about this.

List of twitter feeds showing looong "Bread Lines" of people waiting in the fridged cold for hours to buy what groceries might be left.

The breadth of the dumbassery here is staggering.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16/texas-wind-turbines-frozen/
No, frozen wind turbines aren't the main culprit for Texas' power outages

Lost wind power makes up only a fraction of the reduction in power generating capacity that has brought outages to millions of Texans across the state during a major winter storm.

Texas Tribune FEB.16, 20211 HOUR AGO
Frozen wind turbines in Texas caused some conservative state politicians to declare Tuesday that the state was relying too much on renewable energy. But in reality, the lost wind power makes up only a fraction of the reduction in power-generating capacity that has brought outages to millions of Texans across the state during a major winter storm.

An official with the Electric Reliability Council of Texas said Tuesday afternoon that 16 gigawatts of renewable energy generation, mostly wind generation, was offline. Nearly double that, 30 gigawatts, had been lost from thermal sources, which includes gas, coal and nuclear energy.

“Texas is a gas state,” said Michael Webber, an energy resources professor at the University of Texas at Austin.

While Webber said all of Texas’ energy sources share blame for the power crisis, the natural gas industry is most notably producing significantly less power than normal.

“Gas is failing in the most spectacular fashion right now,” Webber said.

Dan Woodfin, a senior director at ERCOT, echoed that sentiment Tuesday.

“It appears that a lot of the generation that has gone offline today has been primarily due to issues on the natural gas system,” he said during a Tuesday call with reporters.

Still, some have focused their blame on wind power.

“This is what happens when you force the grid to rely in part on wind as a power source,” U.S. Rep. Dan Crenshaw, R-Houston, tweeted Tuesday afternoon. “When weather conditions get bad as they did this week, intermittent renewable energy like wind isn’t there when you need it.”

He went on to note the shutdown of a nuclear reactor in Bay City because of the cold, and finally got to what energy experts say is the biggest culprit, “Low Supply of Natural Gas: ERCOT planned on 67GW from natural gas/coal, but could only get 43GW of it online. We didn’t run out of natural gas, but we ran out of the ability to get natural gas. Pipelines in Texas don’t use cold insulation —so things were freezing.”

Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller, known for his right-wing Facebook posts that have, in the past, spread misinformation and amplified conspiracy theories, also posted an unvarnished view of wind energy on Facebook: “We should never build another wind turbine in Texas."

In another post, Miller was even more forthright, but also misleading, “Insult added to injury: Those ugly wind turbines out there are among the main reasons we are experiencing electricity blackouts. Isn’t that ironic? ... So much for the unsightly and unproductive, energy-robbing Obama Monuments. At least they show us where idiots live.”

While wind power skeptics claimed the week's freeze means wind power can't be relied upon, wind turbines — like natural gas plants — can be "winterized" or modified to operate during very low temperatures. Experts say that many of Texas' power generators have not made those investments necessary to prevent disruptions to equipment since the state does not regularly experience extreme winter storms.

It's estimated that of the grid's total winter capacity, about 80% of it, or 67 gigawatts, could be generated by natural gas, coal and some nuclear power. Only 7% of ERCOT’s forecasted winter capacity, or six gigawatts, was expected to come from various wind power sources across the state.

Production of natural gas in the state has plunged due to the freezing conditions, making it difficult for power plants to get the fuel necessary to run the plants. Natural gas power plants usually don’t have very much fuel storage on site, experts said. Instead, the plants rely on the constant flow of natural gas from pipelines that run across the state from areas like the oil and natural gas producing Permian Basin in West Texas, to major demand centers like Houston and Dallas.

Gov. Greg Abbott specified that fossil fuel sources were contributing to the problems with the grid when describing the situation Monday afternoon.

"The ability of some companies that generate the power has been frozen. This includes the natural gas & coal generators," he wrote in a tweet.

Heather Zichal, CEO of the industry group the American Clean Power Association, said opponents of renewable energy were trying to distract from the failures elsewhere in the system and slow the “transition to a clean energy future.”

“It is disgraceful to see the longtime antagonists of clean power – who attack it whether it is raining, snowing or the sun is shining – engaging in a politically opportunistic charade misleading Americans to promote an agenda that has nothing to do with restoring power to Texas communities,” she said.
Talked to a friend that works at a Nat gas plant here and he said that the company has another plant but they could not fire it up because they did not buy or have contracts for Nat.gas.

I know that windmills are not the total problem,solar as well BUT there needs to be a solid base in place that one could build on in times of need.

As for the pipe lines not working i call BS.

If it happened we and a lot of other folks would be out of gas.

Those in charge of Ercot need to be carefully looked at and their policies need the same.
They’re not mentioning how many coal-fired plants (that would otherwise have been producing) were shuttered in the last few years, due to EPA regs, and due to ERCOT saying they were “no longer needed”.

The PLAN should be to have a “back up plan”, if one energy source fails.
Tis critical to have more than one source of energy. No one source is the be all, end all. Diversification is critical
Larry Kudlow is on Fox Business News at 3:00 p.m. starting today. He had a field day with this topic. It seems several Texas generating plants had to pay spot prices on gas and coal today to get some electrical power generated. I understand they had to pay huge sums to get those delivered ASAP.

kwg
I wish I had captured the message from our local energy supplier this morning (Entergy). It basically said "We've got the power and everything is good, but the Government says you don't need it. Sorry for the inconvenience."
Source? Beijing Nightly News?

Originally Posted by JeffA
No, frozen wind turbines aren't the main culprit for Texas' power outages

Lost wind power makes up only a fraction of the reduction in power generating capacity that has brought outages to millions of Texans across the state during a major winter storm.

Texas Tribune FEB.16, 20211 HOUR AGO
Frozen wind turbines in Texas caused some conservative state politicians to declare Tuesday that the state was relying too much on renewable energy. But in reality, the lost wind power makes up only a fraction of the reduction in power-generating capacity that has brought outages to millions of Texans across the state during a major winter storm.

An official with the Electric Reliability Council of Texas said Tuesday afternoon that 16 gigawatts of renewable energy generation, mostly wind generation, was offline. Nearly double that, 30 gigawatts, had been lost from thermal sources, which includes gas, coal and nuclear energy.

“Texas is a gas state,” said Michael Webber, an energy resources professor at the University of Texas at Austin.

While Webber said all of Texas’ energy sources share blame for the power crisis, the natural gas industry is most notably producing significantly less power than normal.

“Gas is failing in the most spectacular fashion right now,” Webber said.

Dan Woodfin, a senior director at ERCOT, echoed that sentiment Tuesday.

“It appears that a lot of the generation that has gone offline today has been primarily due to issues on the natural gas system,” he said during a Tuesday call with reporters.

Still, some have focused their blame on wind power.

“This is what happens when you force the grid to rely in part on wind as a power source,” U.S. Rep. Dan Crenshaw, R-Houston, tweeted Tuesday afternoon. “When weather conditions get bad as they did this week, intermittent renewable energy like wind isn’t there when you need it.”

He went on to note the shutdown of a nuclear reactor in Bay City because of the cold, and finally got to what energy experts say is the biggest culprit, “Low Supply of Natural Gas: ERCOT planned on 67GW from natural gas/coal, but could only get 43GW of it online. We didn’t run out of natural gas, but we ran out of the ability to get natural gas. Pipelines in Texas don’t use cold insulation —so things were freezing.”

Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller, known for his right-wing Facebook posts that have, in the past, spread misinformation and amplified conspiracy theories, also posted an unvarnished view of wind energy on Facebook: “We should never build another wind turbine in Texas."

In another post, Miller was even more forthright, but also misleading, “Insult added to injury: Those ugly wind turbines out there are among the main reasons we are experiencing electricity blackouts. Isn’t that ironic? ... So much for the unsightly and unproductive, energy-robbing Obama Monuments. At least they show us where idiots live.”

While wind power skeptics claimed the week's freeze means wind power can't be relied upon, wind turbines — like natural gas plants — can be "winterized" or modified to operate during very low temperatures. Experts say that many of Texas' power generators have not made those investments necessary to prevent disruptions to equipment since the state does not regularly experience extreme winter storms.

It's estimated that of the grid's total winter capacity, about 80% of it, or 67 gigawatts, could be generated by natural gas, coal and some nuclear power. Only 7% of ERCOT’s forecasted winter capacity, or six gigawatts, was expected to come from various wind power sources across the state.

Production of natural gas in the state has plunged due to the freezing conditions, making it difficult for power plants to get the fuel necessary to run the plants. Natural gas power plants usually don’t have very much fuel storage on site, experts said. Instead, the plants rely on the constant flow of natural gas from pipelines that run across the state from areas like the oil and natural gas producing Permian Basin in West Texas, to major demand centers like Houston and Dallas.

Gov. Greg Abbott specified that fossil fuel sources were contributing to the problems with the grid when describing the situation Monday afternoon.

"The ability of some companies that generate the power has been frozen. This includes the natural gas & coal generators," he wrote in a tweet.

Heather Zichal, CEO of the industry group the American Clean Power Association, said opponents of renewable energy were trying to distract from the failures elsewhere in the system and slow the “transition to a clean energy future.”

“It is disgraceful to see the longtime antagonists of clean power – who attack it whether it is raining, snowing or the sun is shining – engaging in a politically opportunistic charade misleading Americans to promote an agenda that has nothing to do with restoring power to Texas communities,” she said.
Been in contact with a college buddy who lives in Conroe, TX and works in a energy consultant firm. This is what he summed up for me.

Yes, there are frozen wind turbines, but the grid operator, ERCOT, wasn't counting on most of them because wind in Texas dies down in winter. If you look at the forecasted supply, wind fell short by about 2MW yesterday. Solar actually came in a little over. By comparison, there was about 25 to 30 MW of fossil fuel that failed to show -- about 2/3 of what ERCOT was expecting. Why? A variety of reasons, including limited gas supply. Some plants may not have "firm" contracts, meaning they get gas for cheap when there's space in the pipelines, but when demand goes up they are SOL. Other plants just simply froze because they were built to operate in extreme heat, not cold -- in some cases they literally have no walls. Same thing with the wind turbines -- they don't have the winter weather package because nobody expected it would ever be this cold. A nuclear reactor also went offline briefly. Not sure why.

The other problem is that Texas isolated its grid from the rest of the country to avoid federal regulation, so they can't just import electricity from neighboring states. And all this was happening as demand exceeded ERCOT's most extreme prediction.

Frozen wind turbines are a visible target, especially if that fits your narrative. The reality is much more complicated.
Going back to my OP,
I'll expand.
Remember when...

AlGore led the global warming movement? His biggest "accomplishment" as vice arch villan?
This has made him billions from carbon credits.

Then SodomHussainO aka barry sotero, continued the next step of their handlers plans by starting a war on coal and sending all industries to china.

Since then, coal plants have been closing and been replaced with other electric production.

Just because there's still hydro, gas and coal plants around doesn't mean that the snow on the newer solar panels or wind stations aren't a problem and have no bearing on the grid. That might be the power industries' press release to the article posted, but I don't buy it hook line and stinker.
Question: how much juice do wind turbines produce when there is no wind? Solar panels at night, or during prolonged cloudy weather?
To quote Uncle Joe Vogler, founder of the Alaska Independence Party, "Let the bastards freeze in the dark."
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Question: how much juice do wind turbines produce when there is no wind? Solar panels at night, or during prolonged cloudy weather?

My guess would be none, but we don't have anything like that within 400 miles of us. We do have 27% of the nations petrochemical refining though. It doesn't matter. The Government says we can't use it.
Originally Posted by roundoak
Been in contact with a college buddy who lives in Conroe, TX and works in a energy consultant firm. This is what he summed up for me.

Yes, there are frozen wind turbines, but the grid operator, ERCOT, wasn't counting on most of them because wind in Texas dies down in winter. If you look at the forecasted supply, wind fell short by about 2MW yesterday. Solar actually came in a little over. By comparison, there was about 25 to 30 MW of fossil fuel that failed to show -- about 2/3 of what ERCOT was expecting. Why? A variety of reasons, including limited gas supply. Some plants may not have "firm" contracts, meaning they get gas for cheap when there's space in the pipelines, but when demand goes up they are SOL. Other plants just simply froze because they were built to operate in extreme heat, not cold -- in some cases they literally have no walls. Same thing with the wind turbines -- they don't have the winter weather package because nobody expected it would ever be this cold. A nuclear reactor also went offline briefly. Not sure why.

The other problem is that Texas isolated its grid from the rest of the country to avoid federal regulation, so they can't just import electricity from neighboring states. And all this was happening as demand exceeded ERCOT's most extreme prediction.

Frozen wind turbines are a visible target, especially if that fits your narrative. The reality is much more complicated.

Holy cow!

Thanks for the post!

(Twitter feed list of Videos of loong line in the cold waiting to get what groceries might be left.)

Quote:

"Update: Still no power. It’s impossible to drive out of our apartment complex so we started walking the 4-mile round trip to HEB — this is the line wrapping behind the building."

Anyone checked this out yet?

Quote:

I heard it's true.
If this is the beginning of the run on the grocery stores, I'd hate to see what it'd be like if this lasted a couple of weeks.

A few extra groceries in a pantry and freezer might not be a bad idea too.
Honestly i cant stand the ugly ass wind mills that litter my mountains here. That being said, we get terrible ice storms and massive nor easters and the damn things keep turning. Not sure what texas is doing wrong
Me neither.
They call them Wind Farms.
There's nothing natural growing on those "farms".
They are as ugly as three mile island, but take up more space.
Kotzebue Alaska sits 35 miles north of the Arctic Circle. Solar power is, at best, a negligible option , even in summer. They do get 17% of their annual power from the wind generators outside of town, saving, IIRC from my time there, almost 2 million gallons of diesel, their other power source.

Them Eskimos ain't dumb - wind power SUPPLEMENTS their full capacity (including back-up) diesel generators, reducing their fuel costs.

Theoretically, anyway- I have no doubt those wind generators were very heavily subsidized from Federal and maybe State sources. They are very good at getting "free" stuff.

As far as I know, their generators have never frozen up (broken down, yes) , and weather conditions there vs Texas are way less salubrious.

As someone said on Shannon tonight, selecting "cool" new stuff over reliability has consequences. But I gotta wonder- who fked up and/or got paid off on those TX wind generators, given Kotzebue's and Nome's successes with wind generating.
the only thing liberals are good at is killing babies and sodomizing each other
Originally Posted by las

As someone said on Shannon tonight, selecting "cool" new stuff over reliability has consequences. But I gotta wonder- who fked up and/or got paid off on those TX wind generators, given Kotzebue's and Nome's successes with wind generating.

Bean counters calculated the risks of cold weather in both Kotz and Texas and determined the expense of cold weather packages were warranted in only one of those locations.
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by las

Bean counters calculated the risks of cold weather in both Kotz and Texas and determined the expense of cold weather packages were warranted in only one of those locations.

I don't doubt it in the least..... smile. But then they were counting green beans, not human beans. (sic).
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by las

Deregulation of Electrical Power Provider are as much to blame for Texas current state of affairs as anything. The cheapest kW to lure customers to different providers led to little reason to invest in infrastructure and to maximize profits in the present financial quarter to maintain investors in their stock. It's good for the consumer for short term kW pricing, but has had the effect of not reinvesting in grid structure due to lowered profit margins. Don't see it getting any better in the near future.

What a liberal kuhunt.

Look at her employment record.

She may wanna look in the mirror when talking about "promote an agenda"... LOL.

Worthless liberal trash.

Quote:

I don’t doubt it, a 200 yard/30 minute wait to get into our local HEB yesterday afternoon.

Only section of the store I saw empty shelves was the fresh/frozen meats section. No purchase limits on anything I saw but folks was rushing around in emergency mode. I believe the wait was due to a store capacity issue and a desire to avert chaos inside more’n anything else.

A lot of people are gonna be hurting around here, already broke on account of the Covid shutdown, and now hit with frozen pipes. My Ex-MiL’s neighbor, an older lady who lives alone, is getting her water in buckets from my MiL’s house. She’s in a bind at present, that’s for sure.

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Quote:

I don’t doubt it, a 200 yard/30 minute wait to get into our local HEB yesterday afternoon.

Only section of the store I saw empty shelves was the fresh/frozen meats section. No purchase limits on anything I saw but folks was rushing around in emergency mode. I believe the wait was due to a store capacity issue and a desire to avert chaos inside more’n anything else.

A lot of people are gonna be hurting around here, already broke on account of the Covid shutdown, and now hit with frozen pipes. My Ex-MiL’s neighbor, an older lady who lives alone, is getting her water in buckets from my MiL’s house. She’s in a bind at present, that’s for sure.

Sheesh ...... that's a sad picture.
My heart goes out to you all.
Up east, we get a hard cold from - 5-20 for a while +/- each year, but it's always been that way, plus the grid is usually stable except when snowy tree limbs knock down lines. Some of the most dangerous times are when the grid is down at times like these.
. We were never forced to stand in line
That is outrageous that people are forced to wait out in the cold to get into a store. This covid tyranny has gone too far.
I’ve got multiple friends in the central Texas area that haven’t had power or water since 2am Monday morning, this is friggin insane! The damages to their homes are unknown at this point and they can’t drive anywhere because of the sheet ice and them owning 2wd vehicles, they are so screwed!
When I lived in a cold climate I knew how to prep my 4x4 for winter. Obviously the power company doesn't . In other parts of the country, you have wind turbines whirling away at 40 below. Ice storms take down trees and power lines as well. There is nothing you can do about them except fix the lines. Of course you have to have power on to know where the breaks are. Why doesn't Texas buy surplus power ? I know it costs more.

Quote:

Up east, we get a hard cold from - 5-20 for a while +/- each year, but it's always been that way, plus the grid is usually stable except when snowy tree limbs knock down lines. Some of the most dangerous times are when the grid is down at times like these.
That is outrageous that people are forced to wait out in the cold to get into a store. This covid tyranny has gone too far.

I think the standing in line is that particular grocery store. Heb had lined all over town. Heb by me had a Iine probably 75 yards ling, drove 1/2 mile up the road and Walmart had no lines and had everything in stock other than eggs and 1# propane bottles
Unfortunately, again our "news" and politicians only tell the parts of the story that fit their narrative.

The issue isn't that wind turbines are icing up, wind is only a small part of the Texas grid and most of them are still spinning. The main issue is gas curtailment bringing plants off line so there's enough gas for home heating. Most northern combined cycle plants (that were historically further from the natural gas source) were designed as dual fuel, allowing them to run on fuel oil during times of curtailment. Many of the southern or gulf coast plants were designed as natural gas fired only.

The other issue is many of these plants weren't properly winterized and they're tripping due to faulty instrument readings from moisture freezing in sensing lines or parts of the feedwater freezing. Same thing that happened in 2011. Poor planning all the way around.

It just goes to show how important a balanced energy policy is that includes gas, oil, wind, solar, coal, hydro, geothermal and nuclear. I shudder when I see states and communities pushing for new housing to be "all electric" including all appliances. Our country has a total of 2 hours of reserve electrical power, versus 60 days of hydrocarbons. Thank goodness I have a fireplace, gas furnaces, gas water heater and gas cook stove. Even though the gas furnaces still need electricity for the fans, it can be supplied by a small generator if necessary.

Yes. They have never been a reliable energy source. Without subsidies, there would be no wind farms.
Well...then lets tear out everything and just run nuclear.

Natural gas sounds reeeeeeal reliable....snort!
Yep, nuke power is cheap. If .Gov regulations would get out of the way, we’d all have cheap electricity.

There is more Natural Gas shut down than wind. Almost 2 to 1 . Texas failed to purchase Blade heaters for the Wind turbines, To much money. Now the blades are frozen

Except those that have had antifreeze dropped on them.
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Yep, nuke power is cheap. If .Gov regulations would get out of the way, we’d all have cheap electricity.

It’ll be so cheap, we won’t have to meter it!
Is this what global warming looks like?
But look at all the money they saved on cold weather prep and insulation.
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

There is more Natural Gas shut down than wind. Almost 2 to 1 . Texas failed to purchase Blade heaters for the Wind turbines, To much money. Now the blades are frozen

Hey, Dumbfugck50,

"Texas" doesn't own, or construct those.

Dumbass.
Originally Posted by Kellywk

Quote:

I think the standing in line is that particular grocery store. Heb had lined all over town. Heb by me had a Iine probably 75 yards ling, drove 1/2 mile up the road and Walmart had no lines and had everything in stock other than eggs and 1# propane bottles

So this isn't a state or city dictate because of covid?
Ok. I thought it was gt, but its just an HEB policy .

Thanks for the update.
Never understood why we don’t use more nuclear power. There was a nuclear reactor assembled on Ft Greely in Alaska in the late 1950’s. A 24” nuclear rod would provide enough power in the reactor for months for the whole installation. When it was decommissioned they switched over to diesel powered boilers. The base used more than 100000 gallons of diesel a month to do the same thing that one rod did for several months. We really aren’t that bright as a society!
Texas went cheap on their grid, they are their own worst enemy... they have total control, regulation, and operation of their power grid. They don't buy or sell power outside their own borders. So they have got what they wanted and paid for. They let their wealthy corporate investors do their thinking for them. They wanted cheap and they got cheap, with no federal input or regulation. Its entirely on them. Wasn't green energy, wasn't the wind farms, or anything else to blame it on. Just Texas 5 gallon brains and 10 gallon hats, and no foresight.

Phil
I was waiting for the green energy whores to come out to justify the failure. Amazing that gullible folks believe this paid liar.

What a liberal kuhunt.

Look at her employment record.

She may wanna look in the mirror when talking about "promote an agenda"... LOL.

Worthless liberal trash.

Hey, Dumbfugck50,

"Texas" doesn't own, or construct those.

Dumbass.

Dummy doesn't even know the difference between "to" and "too"
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Talked to a friend that works at a Nat gas plant here and he said that the company has another plant but they could not fire it up because they did not buy or have contracts for Nat.gas.

I know that windmills are not the total problem,solar as well BUT there needs to be a solid base in place that one could build on in times of need.

Those in charge of Ercot need to be carefully looked at and their policies need the same.

I suspect ERCOT didn’tvuy enough natural gas for this crisis, and didn’t want to pay spot prices to keep the grid powered up. Follow the Money. Fuggers at ERCOT need to swing from tall trees.
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Texas went cheap on their grid, they are their own worst enemy... they have total control, regulation, and operation of their power grid. They don't buy or sell power outside their own borders. So they have got what they wanted and paid for. They let their wealthy corporate investors do their thinking for them. They wanted cheap and they got cheap, with no federal input or regulation. Its entirely on them. Wasn't green energy, wasn't the wind farms, or anything else to blame it on. Just Texas 5 gallon brains and 10 gallon hats, and no foresight.

Phil

[bleep] you!!! Total bull:schidt!!! What the phuque do you know??? You don’t know schidt. The issue here is too [bleep] many illegals and too [bleep] many California [bleep] moving here. Need to be a phuqing bounty on you liberal scum. Yeah I went to pick up meds at HEB here yesterday. Line around the store. Who the [bleep] is in it??? 90% wetbackmotherfucker with their [bleep] and their spandex wearing toltec fireplug baby factories.

What pisses me off is ignorant phuquers just like you moving here and phuqing our [bleep] up and then telling us what we did wrong. Where we phuqued up was not securing our own borders, North, south, east, and west.

Sick of all your worthless lying know it all liberal schiteatin’ scum.

I got schidt to do. Phuque off all your communist [bleep]

I'd give 10%---on a good day.
Useless wind turbines, kill birds and mess with Christmas...

And they ugly.

DF

Don’t sugarcoat it kaywoodie...!
Originally Posted by antlers
Don’t sugarcoat it kaywoodie...!

Don't think he did... wink

cool

DF
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Never understood why we don’t use more nuclear power. There was a nuclear reactor assembled on Ft Greely in Alaska in the late 1950’s. A 24” nuclear rod would provide enough power in the reactor for months for the whole installation. When it was decommissioned they switched over to diesel powered boilers. The base used more than 100000 gallons of diesel a month to do the same thing that one rod did for several months. We really aren’t that bright as a society!

I used to be all for it during the Regan administration.
Now I've changed my mind.
Latest is that those reaktorz from the past beyond 20 years should have been decommissioned. Most are leaking and not being repaired.
Other than solar and hydro, I don't know of any clean energy sources, but the reaktorz aren't nearly as clean as the day they installed them.
Just at storage battery technology seems to be a major choke point for "green energy", dealing with spent nuclear material is a big issue in that industry.

If they could develop alternative uses of spent rods, or make something useful out of them, seems that would be a big plus.

Bottom line, we're a long way from walking away from fossel fuel energy, a long way....

To think otherwise is foolish, to move in that direction too fast is reckless...

DF
You sir are a dumbass of the highest order.

I suggest that you need to read up on the system involved before saying anything.

The thing is simple to see the brain trust screwed up when figuring out how much power they needed before they killed those other nat.gas/coal plants.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Just at storage battery technology seems to be a major choke point for "green energy", dealing with spent nuclear material is a big issue in that industry.

If they could develop alternative uses of spent rods, or make something useful out of them, seems that would be a big plus.

Bottom line, we're a long way from walking away from fossel fuel energy, a long way....

To think otherwise is foolish, to move in that direction too fast is reckless...

DF

True.
That might be a weak link in solar too, considering the clouds being #1. AZ & NM sounds reasonable, but I'm not an engineer. I think that the green movement is just one of many ways the big money is able to lead them to make more money. It's easy to convince the school children 8 hours per plus online in the new morality. I'd rather take them to camp with a garbage bag. When we get home, plant a garden and orchard. That's the true green sustainable movement families do.

The rods have been "up cycled" to DU ammo for military use. One reason I would not want anyone close to join Uncle Sam, or want to live in Iraq for the next thousand years. There's a documentary a nurse I used to know made on the subject. She and her husband interviewed Doug Rocky, head of the clean up program. I hope he survived. He was still extremely sick from DU poisoning last I heard.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Phil

[bleep] you!!! Total bull:schidt!!! What the phuque do you know??? You don’t know schidt. The issue here is too [bleep] many illegals and too [bleep] many California [bleep] moving here. Need to be a phuqing bounty on you liberal scum. Yeah I went to pick up meds at HEB here yesterday. Line around the store. Who the [bleep] is in it??? 90% wetbackmotherfucker with their [bleep] and their spandex wearing toltec fireplug baby factories.

What pisses me off is ignorant phuquers just like you moving here and phuqing our [bleep] up and then telling us what we did wrong. Where we phuqued up was not securing our own borders, North, south, east, and west.

Atta boy, Bob!

I doubt it sunk in though. wink
Saw it explained thusly. Solar and wind are not resilient. Solar is completely useless in times like these. Wind is more resilient but still less so than coal or gas. Over the last decade Texas has heavily subsidized wind and solar while removing three coal fired plants from production. Wind and solar are also every expensive to get going. So, Texas has focused its limited budget on those sources to the detriment of properly winterizing, modernizing, and preparing its coal and gas plants. So, those plants, and particularly the gas plants, have had some problems now as well.

It’s disingenuous to the extreme to say coal and gas have had problems. The main reason they have had problems is because we have removed excess generating capacity, cut our reserve margins to the bone, and failed to maintain our traditional and resilient forms of power generation while chasing solar and wind power.

Awesome?

Quien Sabe?

GWB

Same photo on this 2016 PDF from Europe:

https://energiforskmedia.blob.core....turbines-energiforskrapport-2016-300.pdf

Bruce

Phil

You dumbschidts think Texas owns that crap?

This ain't CA where communism runs rampant, and the state owns everything...

https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/news/biggest-wind-farms-us/

Roscoe Wind Farm

The 781MW Roscoe Wind Farm is the fourth biggest wind farm in the US. Located 45 miles south-west of Abilene in Texas, the wind farm is owned and operated by E.ON Climate and Renewables (EC&R), a Germany-based company.

Consisting of 627 wind turbines, the wind farm was built in four phases between 2007 and 2009.

While the first two phases saw installation of 325.5MW capacity, a 446MW capacity was installed during the third and fourth phases. The Roscoe Wind Farm began commercial operations in 2009.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Phil

Atta boy, Bob!

I doubt it sunk in though. wink

Yep!!! +100 Bob. Somebody here would snap Gayghost’s pencil dicked neck, if he said that in person to a real Texan.
We have come to the point you have to be critical of anything you read that is portrayed as news. Mostly it is someone's opinion based on their own position regarding that issue. You have to ask yourself what does this person have to gain or loose by this being true. The other thing you have to do is follow the money.

Except Kaywoodie. Kaywoodie pretty much explained what has happened to the western states.

Phil

You dumbschidts think Texas owns that crap?

This ain't CA where communism runs rampant, and the state owns everything...

https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/news/biggest-wind-farms-us/

Roscoe Wind Farm

The 781MW Roscoe Wind Farm is the fourth biggest wind farm in the US. Located 45 miles south-west of Abilene in Texas, the wind farm is owned and operated by E.ON Climate and Renewables (EC&R), a Germany-based company.

Consisting of 627 wind turbines, the wind farm was built in four phases between 2007 and 2009.

While the first two phases saw installation of 325.5MW capacity, a 446MW capacity was installed during the third and fourth phases. The Roscoe Wind Farm began commercial operations in 2009.

That Wind Farm ain’t far from the Ranch here, as the crow flies. Drive by it all the time.

DF

Don't we still have mountains of coal to use when the crazies give up up on windmills?
Originally Posted by Hastings

DF

Don't we still have mountains of coal to use when the crazies give up up on windmills?

Yep

Several lifetimes worth.

DF
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

I'm not sure nuclear power would have made much of a difference. The nuclear rod just generates heat to produce steam for the turbine. Just as much pneumatic controls and air lines, maybe more, than a coal fired plant. We spend weeks checking heat trace and insulation on air controllers here in KY and still end up with air lines freezing. All our instrument compressors are screw compressors with dryers, but still have air moisture problems to some degree. We are a regulated state and probably have a high profit earning per MWatt than Texas as it is a non-regulated state. I understand that wholesale Mwatt prices went from $30/MWatt to $9000/Mwatt during this event. I doubt Texas wanted to pay that much, thus the rolling blackouts. With coal fired boilers, all you have to do is keep the 2500psi boiler from blowing apart and everyone is happy in the event of control problems. It is my understanding that all redundant controls have to agree and be on line for nuclear to stay online, no phughing around allowed. If the Powerplant Generators didn't heat trace and insulate the coal and gas air lines, probably wouldn't have the nuclear air control lines either. Believe me, once one freezes up and starts problems, it snowballs from there. We had 640 MWatts scheduled to come off line Friday for maintenance outage, called off hoping to sell some power. Believe it or not , this is our slack time for MWatt sales here in KY. Doing outages and maintenance getting ready for the summer high rate usage.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I wish I had captured the message from our local energy supplier this morning (Entergy). It basically said "We've got the power and everything is good, but the Government says you don't need it. Sorry for the inconvenience."

We had four emails. First two said ERCOT ordered the outages to the transmission/distribution company. 1st email stated they expected the outages to only be for 10 to 15 minutes. Then the next stated should expect for possibly a day. The third stated the maintenance team in our area determined maintenance was required and the last stated equipment had failed and it had been repaired. So ... ERCOT or equipment failure? Power went out about 6:35 pm on Monday and came back on 7:30 am today.
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

We had four emails. First two said ERCOT ordered the outages to the transmission/distribution company. 1st email stated they expected the outages to only be for 10 to 15 minutes. Then the next stated should expect for possibly a day. The third stated the maintenance team in our area determined maintenance was required and the last stated equipment had failed and it had been repaired. So ... ERCOT or equipment failure? Power went out about 6:35 pm on Monday and came back on 7:30 am today.

Yep. ERCOT has lied their sorry asses off. Just one of the many reasons Gov Abbott is calling for those in charge to resign.
Anyone see the article on wyomingnewsnow.tv ?
They are burying decommissioned turbine blades in Wyoming...
How many bird strikes until a blade must be retired?

Guess that is another operating cost....
The US has about an 800 year supply of coal. There is enough natural gas in hydrates in the Bermuda Triangle to last 10,000 years, yes I said 10,000 years. This was on the Discovery, History, or Nat Geo channels about 15 years ago. I saw it. We have enough shale oil to last 200 years. The government put off limits government owned property for drilling, fracking, etc.

As far as nuclear goes. Australia is building breeder reactors in their new power production facilities and they can use up 90% of the spent fuel rods and are buying the spent fuel rods. The Navy could use breeder reactors in their new ships and could use up 90% of the spent fuel rods in the US if they wanted to. Breeder reactors' waste can be made into bombs, thus why we aren't pushing them.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Yep. ERCOT has lied their sorry asses off. Just one of the many reasons Gov Abbott is calling for those in charge to resign.

To my mind there are zero excuses for this. Unprecedented cold my azz. Freezing temps are not something new in TX, even further south it isn't. It happens often enough the power industry should be able to cope with it better than this. There absolutely needs to be some feet held to the fire. Some power outages could understand, but ordered black outs on this scale is ludicrous. It's like saying well, it don't get this cold that often so no I don't have anti-freeze in my engine. It only cracks my block once every three to five years instead of annually.
Over 40 percent of the generating plants in the state are off-line due to gas curtailment or weather related operating problems. That's a staggering number!!

Due to the Covid pandemic, ERCOT did not perform plant spot inspections to check for cold weather readiness, instead they relied on the plants to inspect themselves. However, ERCOT has no written guidelines for safeguards plants should take to ensure cold weather reliability. What a clusterpluck!!!

I can understand some issues when you have a record cold and lows for this long and covering such a large region, but 40% of the plants were unprepared for it??? There's no doubt that some heads should role. Especially when as recently as 2011 we went through the exact same thing here in TX.
It all just goes to show how pussified this country has become. No ability to improvise or take care of ourselves in difficult situations and 1/3 of the country can’t take a week of freezing temps. We have had brown outs in ND because power was being sucked south. Never remember that before in my life. Holy smokes, imagine if there was an actual BLIZZARD. This should give our friends in China great comfort in regard to ability to withstand any kind of hardship, disaster, or, I don’t know, WAR perhaps?

What an f’n joke. We have a society built on leverage, government largesse, and woke BS. Even more amazing, it is top story all day, every day. Nothing like wallowing in our own incompetence.
Its 2021 and 3million plus are/have been without power in Texas(America). Unbelievable.
People need to be prosecuted for their failures and corruption. Or total ineptness.
My Son lives in Austin no power since 4am Monday.
And its 2021.
Renewable Energy my ass.
Its 2021 and 3million plus are/have been without power in Texas(America). Unbelievable.
People need to be prosecuted for their failures and corruption. Or total ineptness.
My Son lives in Austin no power since 4am Monday.
And its 2021.
Renewable Energy my ass.
Originally Posted by Slope77
It all just goes to show how pussified this country has become. No ability to improvise or take care of ourselves in difficult situations and 1/3 of the country can’t take a week of freezing temps. We have had brown outs in ND because power was being sucked south. Never remember that before in my life. Holy smokes, imagine if there was an actual BLIZZARD. This should give our friends in China great comfort in regard to ability to withstand any kind of hardship, disaster, or, I don’t know, WAR perhaps?

What an f’n joke. We have a society built on leverage, government largesse, and woke BS. Even more amazing, it is top story all day, every day. Nothing like wallowing in our own incompetence.

This^^^^^^^
Thoughts?

One thing unique to Texas, at least more common to Texas is ice storms. Temperatures here go from a balmy 60°F to the 20s in a few hours sometimes and extreme cold dry air masses meet warm moist from the Gulf. That scenario creates ice that can be measured in inches sometimes that is a helluva lot devastating and destructive than 2’ of powder.

no, we've been walking away for a long time already...further it goes the more the consequences will be seen, and as this happens the leftists won't GAS
On the other hand, what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. Maybe this is a needed wake up call.

True Story! NG don’t freeze.
Originally Posted by ledvm
NG don’t freeze.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dntstatic//c6655222-674d-4305-62e5-1afc54ecf2ec
I would just once love to hear the truth about all power and energy without a political slant. Just once.
It will never happen.....
I find it funny because our gas line is connected to a 48in pipeline.

It is about a mile from the house and we have never had a problem even when they shut the valve upstream to do some work.

It took about 8 hours and the whole time we had gas.
NG don’t freeze.

interesting article

Introduction
Freezing is a common problem in the natural gas pipeline industry, caused by the combined effects of ambient temperature, pressure drop, and the presence of water and hydrates in the gas stream.
The effects of freezing can include inaccurate measurement, loss of system control, equipment damage, and complete interruption of the gas supply. Fortunately, many methods are available to help minimize this problem.
NG don’t freeze.

Easy. When demand cranked up downstream faster than supply increased upstream you depressurize the pipe somewhere and you get icing at the point of expansion..
Had the wind and solar power not crashed this would not have been a problem.
I think the NG issue has to do with what my friend showed me one cold morning.

He was outside working in the bitter cold trying to get his well head valve unstuck and gas to his house. He had a back yard well with free gas. The company bought his well and it was going to their use too.
He said it freezes because it has a lot of water/ moisture that cones up from the ground. He showed me a trap.

I don't claim to know anything about gas. I just know that he had a hard time when he needed it most, BUT the company somehow didn't have this problem. A gas man could probably tell you why.
BTW, he didn't use a torch to thaw it out. 😉
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
When I lived in a cold climate I knew how to prep my 4x4 for winter. Obviously the power company doesn't . In other parts of the country, you have wind turbines whirling away at 40 below. Ice storms take down trees and power lines as well. There is nothing you can do about them except fix the lines. Of course you have to have power on to know where the breaks are. Why doesn't Texas buy surplus power ? I know it costs more.

I have a wind farm near my up north house that seems to function fine at -40* F to -50* F with no issues. Of course they seem to be shut down most of the time, so I guess if you don't run them much, they'll give you few problems.
Sorry I made mistake. It turns out Texas is off the national grid, so it can't just buy power say from from California. California would only buy power from BC and jack the price up. We have sold power to California.
Thoughts?

One thing unique to Texas, at least more common to Texas is ice storms. Temperatures here go from a nalmy 60°F to the 20s in a few hours sometimes and extreme cold dry air masses meet warm moist from the Gulf. That scenario creates ice that can be measured in inches sometimes that is a helluva lot devastating and destructive than 2’ of powder.

I'm well aware, I remember moving into a farm house in Bryan, TX around Christmas time in '90(?), and it hit close to zero. Never been so freaking cold in my life and as someone used to more northern climes, couldn't figure out why people wouldn't use insulation where it''s needed.

It just seems that memories of cold are very short in that part of the world. and they should know better.
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Sorry I made mistake. It turns out Texas is off the national grid, so it can't just buy power say from from California. California would only buy power from BC and jack the price up. We have sold power to California.

All three grids have Converter/Inverter ties to buy/sale power amongst the three grids. Spot market MWatt went from $30/ Mwatt to as high as $9000/Mwatt in last week or two. They aren't buying power at that prices and selling for contracted prices of $.12/ Kilowatt or $120/Mwatt.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/power-outages-linger-millions-another-044450576.html

Not just Texas having issues.....
We have had not unusual cold -40s in northern Minnesota for a couple of weeks. As is the norm when it gets that cold there is not much wind. What good are the dam windmills period frozen or not?

Osky
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
I would just once love to hear the truth about all power and energy without a political slant (or the slant from those with a supply-side stake in the issue) . Just once.

my addition
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
I would just once love to hear the truth about all power and energy without a political slant (or the slant from those with a supply-side stake in the issue) . Just once.

my addition

It's pretty simple in Texas. Mandates forced a large portion of the State to rely on a portion of wind power to supplement natural gas generation. The wells were shut down in reserve. By the time the problems started, it was too late to remedy the problem. Natural gas pipelines didn't "freeze". The ability to open them was frozen. I work around LNG.
What mandates specifically.
The big wind is in the white house.
What mandates specifically.

I was attempting to be apolitical, as requested.
https://www.power-eng.com/coal/idle...ord-peaks-in-2020-and-2021-summers/#gref

Hey, look! ERCOT thinks Texas needs coal this summer.
Wind, solar, and gas all have a few problems. Wind and solar are dependent on the weather for their generation capabilities. Gas is less so, but it is a “just in time” delivery system of the gas to the plants. So, if anything happens to disrupt the supply, there is a problem. This time, apparently the disruption was that the gas well heads were frozen, making it hard to get the gas out of the ground and into the pipelines. Next time it could be something else.

And now, it really matters because there is so little reserve built into the system. Take one power plant out of the equation and you have problems. Increase demand unexpectedly (as this was as usually this is the slow time of year for power demand) and you can have big problems. We need more coal and more nuclear. You can store enough coal to run a plant for weeks onsite. Some plants, like the one that used to be in Mt. Pleasant mine it right there onsite. And of course, we should have lots of nuclear.

But of course, we all know that we’re not going to be allowed to take the obvious steps of building more coal and nuclear plants and this sort of thing is going to become increasingly common in the years to come. Better buy a big assed Generac.
By the way, Obama is the reason Texas is in the predicament it is in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monticello_Steam_Electric_Station

Selective non-catalytic reduction (SNCR) systems were retrofitted by Fluor to Monticello's units in 2008.[6][7] This retrofit complimented the LO-NOx burners already installed at Monticello to reduce nitrogen oxide (NO
x ) emissions.[6] In November 2011, Luminant announced that, rather than retrofitting, they would permanently idle Units 1 and 2 to comply with the United States Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Cross-State Air Pollution Rule.[8] With two units of the plant being idled, Luminant halted lignite extraction at nearby Sulphur Springs and Mount Pleasant Mines.[9] It later restarted the units in March 2014 due increased demand for power generation from the 2014 North American cold wave.[10] Luminant made the decision in 2014 that Monticello would rely on coal solely from the Powder River Basin beginning in 2016.[3]

So, Obama’s across Air Pollution Rule was the one that killed this plant. If you remember it is the one the State of Texas sued the feds over and lost. Basically it recategorized carbon dioxide as a pollutant. The company decided not to do the expensive retrofits on all of its equipment. That left it running at a reduced rate. Then it decided, in order to comply with federal regulations that it would only burn the cleaner Powder River coal. That of course, massively increased costs. Which, of course, caused it to shut down.

Today’s crisis is directly attributable to Obama’s across Air Pollution Act of 2011.
Another site with updated outage.

https://poweroutage.us/
NG don’t freeze.

Agreed...that at entrance points...NG lines can have freezing water vapor. The news report I was referring to was talking about buried supply lines. The report said Texans buried their too shallow and they froze—BS.
The left operates by the principle of:
"Never let a crisis go to waste"

This is a perfect opportunity for us to use their own tactics against them.

Strip the subsidies/mandates and enhance Oil/gas.

Slo-jo left us out in the cold. Texas needs baseline capacity that is independent of weather conditions!

How many people died from this?
Add them to the slo-jo death counter!
Roll back zero- mandates in the same manner as the Texas 2A stand!
Once again. THE ONLY REASON we are in this mess is because Obama’s 2011 regulation made coal fired plants too expensive to operate and forced them to shut down. Three coal fired plants in Texas shut down over the last ten years. With those plants in place, this would not have happened.

It's pretty simple in Texas. Mandates forced a large portion of the State to rely on a portion of wind power to supplement natural gas generation. The wells were shut down in reserve. By the time the problems started, it was too late to remedy the problem. Natural gas pipelines didn't "freeze". The ability to open them was frozen. I work around LNG.

Exactly ^^^
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Once again. THE ONLY REASON we are in this mess is because Obama’s 2011 regulation made coal fired plants too expensive to operate and forced them to shut down. Three coal fired plants in Texas shut down over the last ten years. With those plants in place, this would not have happened.

The coal generation plant 5 miles from me was roaring the whole time.

Never shut down.

Exactly ^^^
Originally Posted by fburgtx
https://www.power-eng.com/coal/idle...ord-peaks-in-2020-and-2021-summers/#gref

Hey, look! ERCOT thinks Texas needs coal this summer.

That pic is the Big Brown Electricity Plant at Fairfield, TX which uses Tx coal from a nearby mine—very efficient.

Never shut down.

Not all of them, just some of them chose to not to make expensive retrofits that reduced their profitability.

Never shut down.

Not all of them, just some of them chose to not to make expensive retrofits that reduced their profitability.

This plant is slated for closure in 2027.

Never shut down.

This plant is slated for closure in 2027.

What’s that got to do with the three that have already shut down in the last decade?
"The report said Texans buried their too shallow and they froze—BS."

I don't doubt they were buried too shallow because they were probably buried by the lowest bidding out of state minority owned contractors and the companies who hired them saved money by not paying inspectors to keep an eye on them.

What’s that got to do with the three that have already shut down in the last decade?

What it means is two things...

No. 1--- The coal plant near me never failed to keep generating even through all the blizzard conditions lately.

No. 2--- The Left's green energy policy and their renewable sources of wind and solar are pretty much a failure.

But will they see the light?

Nah.

Who allowed them to be installed without the blade heaters, fire him. All the other states have blade heaters. , Do you see Minnesota or North Dakota power shutting down? I do not see states

East of you having power shortages, Maybe you should see what they are doing right and you are doing wrong. You have the same weather as you do.

We would send you power from our grid if you would just connect to one or more of the other grids. As long as you send power our way in the Summer. Have a great day.

Why did Texas not buy valve heater so the valves would not freeze. I even have electric pipe heaters on my outdoor pipes in California that turn on automaticly at 36 Degrees. What do they do in

Minnesota at -40 below zero. Do They have valves there also, must have some kind of heater. None of those state East of Texas had a problem, why was that? Same weather.
If it was Obama,s fault he was with the Federal government, Why did no other state have the problem? Looks to me the problem is in the Texas state system that is not connected to

the grid. You are correct coal fired plants have been shut down all over the country, but no other state even those with much colder weather than yours has had a problem like yours. You need

to follow the example of all the other 49 states. Buy the way Coal is much more expensive than Natural Gas and we have 50% of the worlds supply.of Natural Gas I think Texas needs to winterize

there Natural Gas supply system just like Minnesotas. I,m not against keeping Coal as a backup, sometimes you got to do what you got to do, people lives depend upon it.
Dumbfugk50 to the rescue... Shut up idiot.
By the way, Obama is the reason Texas is in the predicament it is in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monticello_Steam_Electric_Station

Selective non-catalytic reduction (SNCR) systems were retrofitted by Fluor to Monticello's units in 2008.[6][7] This retrofit complimented the LO-NOx burners already installed at Monticello to reduce nitrogen oxide (NO
x ) emissions.[6] In November 2011, Luminant announced that, rather than retrofitting, they would permanently idle Units 1 and 2 to comply with the United States Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Cross-State Air Pollution Rule.[8] With two units of the plant being idled, Luminant halted lignite extraction at nearby Sulphur Springs and Mount Pleasant Mines.[9] It later restarted the units in March 2014 due increased demand for power generation from the 2014 North American cold wave.[10] Luminant made the decision in 2014 that Monticello would rely on coal solely from the Powder River Basin beginning in 2016.[3]

So, Obama’s across Air Pollution Rule was the one that killed this plant. If you remember it is the one the State of Texas sued the feds over and lost. Basically it recategorized carbon dioxide as a pollutant. The company decided not to do the expensive retrofits on all of its equipment. That left it running at a reduced rate. Then it decided, in order to comply with federal regulations that it would only burn the cleaner Powder River coal. That of course, massively increased costs. Which, of course, caused it to shut down.

Today’s crisis is directly attributable to Obama’s across Air Pollution Act of 2011.

Yep. Once again the Halfican fuqked up EVERYTHING He touched. 😡
Originally Posted by Springcove
Dumbfugk50 to the rescue... Shut up idiot.

Yep. POS Sockpuppets like DumbFuqk50 never let a good crisis go to waste. Just like their scum sucking DemoRat brethren. He needs to quit wasting oxygen and suck start a Glock
If it was Obama,s fault he was with the Federal government, Why did no other state have the problem? Looks to me the problem is in the Texas state system that is not connected to

the grid. You are correct coal fired plants have been shut down all over the country, but no other state even those with much colder weather than yours has had a problem like yours. You need

to follow the example of all the other 49 states. Buy the way Coal is much more expensive than Natural Gas and we have 50% of the worlds supply.of Natural Gas I think Texas needs to winterize

there Natural Gas supply system just like Minnesotas. I,m not against keeping Coal as a backup, sometimes you got to do what you got to do, people lives depend upon it.
Maybe you should stfu since most Texans DGAF what a retarded, gay, commie has to say.
© 24hourcampfire