Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Texas went cheap on their grid, they are their own worst enemy... they have total control, regulation, and operation of their power grid. They don't buy or sell power outside their own borders. So they have got what they wanted and paid for. They let their wealthy corporate investors do their thinking for them. They wanted cheap and they got cheap, with no federal input or regulation. Its entirely on them. Wasn't green energy, wasn't the wind farms, or anything else to blame it on. Just Texas 5 gallon brains and 10 gallon hats, and no foresight.

Phil

[bleep] you!!! Total bull:schidt!!! What the phuque do you know??? You don’t know schidt. The issue here is too [bleep] many illegals and too [bleep] many California [bleep] moving here. Need to be a phuqing bounty on you liberal scum. Yeah I went to pick up meds at HEB here yesterday. Line around the store. Who the [bleep] is in it??? 90% wetbackmotherfucker with their [bleep] and their spandex wearing toltec fireplug baby factories.

What pisses me off is ignorant phuquers just like you moving here and phuqing our [bleep] up and then telling us what we did wrong. Where we phuqued up was not securing our own borders, North, south, east, and west.

Sick of all your worthless lying know it all liberal schiteatin’ scum.

I got schidt to do. Phuque off all your communist [bleep]

Atta boy, Bob!

I doubt it sunk in though. wink

Yep!!! +100 Bob. Somebody here would snap Gayghost’s pencil dicked neck, if he said that in person to a real Texan.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have come to the point you have to be critical of anything you read that is portrayed as news. Mostly it is someone's opinion based on their own position regarding that issue. You have to ask yourself what does this person have to gain or loose by this being true. The other thing you have to do is follow the money.

Except Kaywoodie. Kaywoodie pretty much explained what has happened to the western states.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Texas went cheap on their grid, they are their own worst enemy... they have total control, regulation, and operation of their power grid. They don't buy or sell power outside their own borders. So they have got what they wanted and paid for. They let their wealthy corporate investors do their thinking for them. They wanted cheap and they got cheap, with no federal input or regulation. Its entirely on them. Wasn't green energy, wasn't the wind farms, or anything else to blame it on. Just Texas 5 gallon brains and 10 gallon hats, and no foresight.

Phil

You dumbschidts think Texas owns that crap?

This ain't CA where communism runs rampant, and the state owns everything...

https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/news/biggest-wind-farms-us/

Roscoe Wind Farm

The 781MW Roscoe Wind Farm is the fourth biggest wind farm in the US. Located 45 miles south-west of Abilene in Texas, the wind farm is owned and operated by E.ON Climate and Renewables (EC&R), a Germany-based company.

Consisting of 627 wind turbines, the wind farm was built in four phases between 2007 and 2009.

While the first two phases saw installation of 325.5MW capacity, a 446MW capacity was installed during the third and fourth phases. The Roscoe Wind Farm began commercial operations in 2009.

That Wind Farm ain’t far from the Ranch here, as the crow flies. Drive by it all the time.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Just at storage battery technology seems to be a major choke point for "green energy", dealing with spent nuclear material is a big issue in that industry.

If they could develop alternative uses of spent rods, or make something useful out of them, seems that would be a big plus.

Bottom line, we're a long way from walking away from fossel fuel energy, a long way....

To think otherwise is foolish, to move in that direction too fast is reckless...

DF

Don't we still have mountains of coal to use when the crazies give up up on windmills?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Just at storage battery technology seems to be a major choke point for "green energy", dealing with spent nuclear material is a big issue in that industry.

If they could develop alternative uses of spent rods, or make something useful out of them, seems that would be a big plus.

Bottom line, we're a long way from walking away from fossel fuel energy, a long way....

To think otherwise is foolish, to move in that direction too fast is reckless...

DF

Don't we still have mountains of coal to use when the crazies give up up on windmills?

Yep

Several lifetimes worth.

DF

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Never understood why we don’t use more nuclear power. There was a nuclear reactor assembled on Ft Greely in Alaska in the late 1950’s. A 24” nuclear rod would provide enough power in the reactor for months for the whole installation. When it was decommissioned they switched over to diesel powered boilers. The base used more than 100000 gallons of diesel a month to do the same thing that one rod did for several months. We really aren’t that bright as a society!

I'm not sure nuclear power would have made much of a difference. The nuclear rod just generates heat to produce steam for the turbine. Just as much pneumatic controls and air lines, maybe more, than a coal fired plant. We spend weeks checking heat trace and insulation on air controllers here in KY and still end up with air lines freezing. All our instrument compressors are screw compressors with dryers, but still have air moisture problems to some degree. We are a regulated state and probably have a high profit earning per MWatt than Texas as it is a non-regulated state. I understand that wholesale Mwatt prices went from $30/MWatt to $9000/Mwatt during this event. I doubt Texas wanted to pay that much, thus the rolling blackouts. With coal fired boilers, all you have to do is keep the 2500psi boiler from blowing apart and everyone is happy in the event of control problems. It is my understanding that all redundant controls have to agree and be on line for nuclear to stay online, no phughing around allowed. If the Powerplant Generators didn't heat trace and insulate the coal and gas air lines, probably wouldn't have the nuclear air control lines either. Believe me, once one freezes up and starts problems, it snowballs from there. We had 640 MWatts scheduled to come off line Friday for maintenance outage, called off hoping to sell some power. Believe it or not , this is our slack time for MWatt sales here in KY. Doing outages and maintenance getting ready for the summer high rate usage.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I wish I had captured the message from our local energy supplier this morning (Entergy). It basically said "We've got the power and everything is good, but the Government says you don't need it. Sorry for the inconvenience."

We had four emails. First two said ERCOT ordered the outages to the transmission/distribution company. 1st email stated they expected the outages to only be for 10 to 15 minutes. Then the next stated should expect for possibly a day. The third stated the maintenance team in our area determined maintenance was required and the last stated equipment had failed and it had been repaired. So ... ERCOT or equipment failure? Power went out about 6:35 pm on Monday and came back on 7:30 am today.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I wish I had captured the message from our local energy supplier this morning (Entergy). It basically said "We've got the power and everything is good, but the Government says you don't need it. Sorry for the inconvenience."

We had four emails. First two said ERCOT ordered the outages to the transmission/distribution company. 1st email stated they expected the outages to only be for 10 to 15 minutes. Then the next stated should expect for possibly a day. The third stated the maintenance team in our area determined maintenance was required and the last stated equipment had failed and it had been repaired. So ... ERCOT or equipment failure? Power went out about 6:35 pm on Monday and came back on 7:30 am today.

Yep. ERCOT has lied their sorry asses off. Just one of the many reasons Gov Abbott is calling for those in charge to resign.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone see the article on wyomingnewsnow.tv ?
They are burying decommissioned turbine blades in Wyoming...
How many bird strikes until a blade must be retired?

Guess that is another operating cost....

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The US has about an 800 year supply of coal. There is enough natural gas in hydrates in the Bermuda Triangle to last 10,000 years, yes I said 10,000 years. This was on the Discovery, History, or Nat Geo channels about 15 years ago. I saw it. We have enough shale oil to last 200 years. The government put off limits government owned property for drilling, fracking, etc.

As far as nuclear goes. Australia is building breeder reactors in their new power production facilities and they can use up 90% of the spent fuel rods and are buying the spent fuel rods. The Navy could use breeder reactors in their new ships and could use up 90% of the spent fuel rods in the US if they wanted to. Breeder reactors' waste can be made into bombs, thus why we aren't pushing them.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Yep. ERCOT has lied their sorry asses off. Just one of the many reasons Gov Abbott is calling for those in charge to resign.

To my mind there are zero excuses for this. Unprecedented cold my azz. Freezing temps are not something new in TX, even further south it isn't. It happens often enough the power industry should be able to cope with it better than this. There absolutely needs to be some feet held to the fire. Some power outages could understand, but ordered black outs on this scale is ludicrous. It's like saying well, it don't get this cold that often so no I don't have anti-freeze in my engine. It only cracks my block once every three to five years instead of annually.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Over 40 percent of the generating plants in the state are off-line due to gas curtailment or weather related operating problems. That's a staggering number!!

Due to the Covid pandemic, ERCOT did not perform plant spot inspections to check for cold weather readiness, instead they relied on the plants to inspect themselves. However, ERCOT has no written guidelines for safeguards plants should take to ensure cold weather reliability. What a clusterpluck!!!

I can understand some issues when you have a record cold and lows for this long and covering such a large region, but 40% of the plants were unprepared for it??? There's no doubt that some heads should role. Especially when as recently as 2011 we went through the exact same thing here in TX.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It all just goes to show how pussified this country has become. No ability to improvise or take care of ourselves in difficult situations and 1/3 of the country can’t take a week of freezing temps. We have had brown outs in ND because power was being sucked south. Never remember that before in my life. Holy smokes, imagine if there was an actual BLIZZARD. This should give our friends in China great comfort in regard to ability to withstand any kind of hardship, disaster, or, I don’t know, WAR perhaps?

What an f’n joke. We have a society built on leverage, government largesse, and woke BS. Even more amazing, it is top story all day, every day. Nothing like wallowing in our own incompetence.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Its 2021 and 3million plus are/have been without power in Texas(America). Unbelievable.
People need to be prosecuted for their failures and corruption. Or total ineptness.
My Son lives in Austin no power since 4am Monday.
And its 2021.
Renewable Energy my ass.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Its 2021 and 3million plus are/have been without power in Texas(America). Unbelievable.
People need to be prosecuted for their failures and corruption. Or total ineptness.
My Son lives in Austin no power since 4am Monday.
And its 2021.
Renewable Energy my ass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Slope77
It all just goes to show how pussified this country has become. No ability to improvise or take care of ourselves in difficult situations and 1/3 of the country can’t take a week of freezing temps. We have had brown outs in ND because power was being sucked south. Never remember that before in my life. Holy smokes, imagine if there was an actual BLIZZARD. This should give our friends in China great comfort in regard to ability to withstand any kind of hardship, disaster, or, I don’t know, WAR perhaps?

What an f’n joke. We have a society built on leverage, government largesse, and woke BS. Even more amazing, it is top story all day, every day. Nothing like wallowing in our own incompetence.

This^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
The al gore, sodom Hussain 0bumma wind turbines around the country are as reliable as this after rain and a freeze. The video and short article points this out from Texas. These have gone in all around the country to replace coal plants.
Thoughts?

https://www.infowars.com/posts/un-backed-great-reset-turns-off-texas-power/

Oh, FFS, there’s wind turbines all over the bleeping foothills around here, none of them ever “freeze” and we get a good bit colder than just 0.

The problem is Texans operating wind turbines, not wind turbines.

One thing unique to Texas, at least more common to Texas is ice storms. Temperatures here go from a balmy 60°F to the 20s in a few hours sometimes and extreme cold dry air masses meet warm moist from the Gulf. That scenario creates ice that can be measured in inches sometimes that is a helluva lot devastating and destructive than 2’ of powder.

Last edited by ledvm; 02/18/21.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

no, we've been walking away for a long time already...further it goes the more the consequences will be seen, and as this happens the leftists won't GAS

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
On the other hand, what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. Maybe this is a needed wake up call.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Talked to a friend that works at a Nat gas plant here and he said that the company has another plant but they could not fire it up because they did not buy or have contracts for Nat.gas.

I know that windmills are not the total problem,solar as well BUT there needs to be a solid base in place that one could build on in times of need.

As for the pipe lines not working i call BS.

If it happened we and a lot of other folks would be out of gas.

Those in charge of Ercot need to be carefully looked at and their policies need the same.

True Story! NG don’t freeze.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (1936M71, 2ndwind, 12344mag, 1234, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 1,753 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,038
Posts18,521,049
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.