Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happy for you

GB1

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good choice! Glad to hear of your success.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Jim, that is interesting.

My wife had her surgeries done at Pacific Vision in Boise.

She was fully conscious for the procedure both times. She walked right out of the procedure room unassisted and on out to the car.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Glad all worked out for you.
Old Cuss

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Good for you, Jim!! That sounds like something that I might consider. My vision is definitely declining. Loss of acuity and astigmatism.

I was working on an eye doctor's house a couple of years ago and he was telling me about this surgery. Tells me it's the bulk of his business. He didn't talk price or recovery, so I'm curious if anyone can share any info on those 2 aspects?

As far as fees go it has been too long ago for mine to be realistic for you. As to the experience, I could not believe the improvement in my sight as I got into the car to go home. And after that it was very little time until it was "over". Do it if you can.

What cinched my resolve to do it was driving across the Mackinac bridge at night in a storm. Never gonna let my vision scare me that bad again, if I can help it.

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it.

I live near the bridge and croas it fairly often and have no interest in crossing it during a nighttime storm with blurry vision

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Good for you, Jim!! That sounds like something that I might consider. My vision is definitely declining. Loss of acuity and astigmatism.

I was working on an eye doctor's house a couple of years ago and he was telling me about this surgery. Tells me it's the bulk of his business. He didn't talk price or recovery, so I'm curious if anyone can share any info on those 2 aspects?

I guess it varies with the doctor and locale or probably what insurance will pay. The first one was right about $5000 all told, that covers the pre-op evaluation, surgery and a post-op visit which I had this morning. The surgery doctor works with my normal optometrist, I'll be seeing him in a week and again in a month, and he charges separately but from what I can see that's just two normal office visits. My insurance from work covers 80% pre-deductible on all of it so it was right at $1000 out of pocket for the first one. They show you up front what the cost is and the second one was only $4000 for whatever reason, perhaps they didn't need to repeat some things, and since I've met my deductible for the plan year the out of pocket was $500 this time.

Well worth it from where I sit now.

Recovery is no big deal. For the next two weeks I'm not supposed to lift anything over 20 pounds and avoid "dirty" work where debris or dust could get in my eye. Otherwise you just go about your daily life starting the very next day.

"Tells me it's the bulk of his business." Speaking of, it's definitely assembly line surgery. Not to complain, the staff at the surgery center was great - competent, professional and still caring and personable, but they must do 10-20 of these in a morning since the actual procedure only takes about 10 minutes. They put you in a room and place five or six drops of stuff in your eye and let those sit for 20 minutes, then stick an IV catheter in your arm and take you to the actual OR. Your head is immobilized and the eye area painted with iodine, then they put numbing drops in the eye. Just before everything begins an anesthetist squirts some fentanyl and something else in your arm and it's happy time for a while.

I didn't remember the first one but was quite conscious of this one. You don't feel a thing, you just see shadows, but I remember them saying it's all done and having me sit up, getting into a wheelchair to go to post-op and talking to the nurse while I waited for my ride home. Getting up and walking feels like you've had about 2-3 stiff drinks on an empty stomach so I was quite jovial with everyone walking out. wink You go home, take a nap, stay indoors for the day, go to bed and then wake up with everything bright and clear. Pretty neat.

Thank you for the info, Jim. I may look into it further to see how much our insurance will cover. The avoiding dust stipulation would be a problem for me, though. Seems like every jobsite I visit is dusty and full of airborne crud like sawdust and insulation particles.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i wore glasses most of my life extremely near sighted, 20/800, that kept me out of vietnam.
in 95 i was hospitalized with an acute case of diabetes, which brought on the cateracts.
i could not see the overhead signs on the freeway.
insurance covered the whole thing, recovery was mild with the drops.
the day of the first operation i was scared cacaless, and actually bent one of the rails on the gurney i was so up tight.
they later said tranquilzing me was like taking a horse down.
few minutes after i commented is that the way the world actually looks?
i remember going up in a blizzard looking for elk, and i could actually see the veins underneith leaves on the trees.
only downside was working under by truck, i had always had glasses so dirt didn't bother me.
i had to learn to wear e ye protection.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IKE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had my left / dominate eye done last June 6th and the right done three weeks later and like you Jim I'm very pleased with the outcome.

I guess some docs don't bother with IV sedation during cataract surgery but mine won't do the procedure any other way and I'm glad.

Both eyes and a new pair of clear glasses bottom line came to right at 10K but between Medicare and my BCBS 'F' supplement I didn't have to pay a dime......I did have to pony up $350.00 for another new pair of polarized sun glasses.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
It's such a pleasure to read some good news for a change. Very cool, Jim! Congratulations.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 02/18/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations....
You just lost an excuse

Enjoy seeing the blades of grass again!

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

I had mine done about 5 years ago. (6 mos apart) I had my eyes checked 6 mos ago and nothing has changed. No need for new glasses. I do all of my computer work

without glasses. Shoot peep sights, open sights, hand guns etc as well as ever.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i wore glasses most of my life extremely near sighted, 20/800, that kept me out of vietnam.
in 95 i was hospitalized with an acute case of diabetes, which brought on the cateracts.
i could not see the overhead signs on the freeway.
insurance covered the whole thing, recovery was mild with the drops.
the day of the first operation i was scared cacaless, and actually bent one of the rails on the gurney i was so up tight.
they later said tranquilzing me was like taking a horse down.
few minutes after i commented is that the way the world actually looks?
i remember going up in a blizzard looking for elk, and i could actually see the veins underneith leaves on the trees.
only downside was working under by truck, i had always had glasses so dirt didn't bother me.
i had to learn to wear e ye protection.

Like you I was very nearsighted, -7/-8 corrections, so I was very used to pulling things right up to my face to see clearly. After the IOL replacements it took some getting used to the exact opposite.

I found some clear safety glasses with near correction in the top and very bottom with nothing in the middle. Very nice for overhead or under a vehicle work.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007IC7BH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My surgeries don't cost a cent. I have both Medicare and Tricare for Life from the military. If all that failed, I have the VA. I order glasses from Zenni.com and even with every bell and whistle they are less than $100.

I was petrified the first time, too. I was less scared flying combat missions than having a knife stuck in my eye. Turns out it was a nothing burger, and I'm as calm as a clam this time. (Cataract surgery is the most common procedure done in the US.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wooohoooo!!!!!!!

One word of warning, Dont look in the mirror.........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I paid some extra for toric lens to correct astigmatism and for the femtosecond laser cataract surgery (no knife).

I think all together about 8K.

Both my eyecare doc and the surgeon recommended the lazer due to the shape of my cornea. I guess I had a higher chance of complications with the blade method. The surgeon told me the laser allows much more precision in placing the new lens as well. I thought it was worth the extra bucks then and still do today.

20/15 distance vision after being nearly blind without thick glasses is a wonderful thing. I used to keep spare glasses in every vehicle just in case.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jim in Idaho: That is wonderful and amazing news.
Todays health care technology is simply mind boggling to me - the things they can do.
Again good for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had a cataract fixed a few years ago then about a year later,my retina detached in that same eye and I was two hours from anything in the hills..Time I got the trailer hooked up and home carefully,it was to late to fix it...So they put an eye buckle in that eye and I could atleast see in it instead of just orange..Now the buckle is coming out and bleeding...Fun Fun but I still can see unlike when it detached!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim, I had both mine done last year. The cataracts in both my eyes had gotten so bad, I was going to cut myself off from driving.

Reading this on my laptop now in regular print.

The only problem I've had at all is with rubbing my eyes because of allergies.

Doc Eyeball can probably give you some more info.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 28 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,133
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.