Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I choose two rifles to hunt with.

Get em both ready and shoot em enough to be comfortable in my hands. ONe is what i choose to hunt with and the other is the back up. Most of my deer hunting is from a stand in brush country.
This last year my rifle out the door was a sporterized Mauser in 7 x 57.
The back up was a pre-64 Model 70 in 270, which i enjoy too much to let it be a Closet Queen.

A few times i switched to the back up in the middle of the deer season. Guys in the crew gave me chit for it. So i told em..."hey, in baseball sometimes you change pitchers during the game.' And sometimes i took a deer with the back up.

Some years ago we had a good snow fall and the guys volunteered me to open some trails with my snowshoes. For that i brought out the Savage 99 featherweight in 300 Savage.

If I have em I use em.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I tailor the rifle to the hunt, or the hunt to the rifle if I want to carry something specific. But they usually look like these.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Need a reason Not to bring a scoped .270 WCF/150 gr., be it M700 BDL or M70 EW/SS, depending on the weather.

Which ain't often.

GR

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It really depends on where I am hunting and whether I am stand hunting or still hunting. Whether I need a scoped rifle or iron sights. Given the right circumstances I prefer to still hunt. In dry conditions that make for noisy stalking g I will stand hunt.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
7600 pump 270 90% of the time and SS 280 when the weather is bad.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter

How are you picking which rifle to bring on a hunt?

In no particular order.
Sometimes by the mood I’m in.

Sometimes I pick one I haven’t hunted recently or very much.

Sometimes I pick a sentimental fav.

When I expect to be in a long range area, always 270 Win or 7mmRM.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dang, I thought this thread was about how to pick a used rifle when rummaging around through the used rifle racks.. Sigh.. That's my idea of fun.. Picking one to hunt with is easy enough and usually depends on how many days I'm hunting. I'll take a different one every day of the hunt, if I want...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by memtb

For myself, it’s relatively easy. One rifle/cartridge for everything from Antelope/Whitetail, to most of the African Big Five. I haven’t made that African trip yet, and probably never will....but, it’s worked quite well for everything I’ve hunted in North America! memtb

Maybe it’s just me but a post like this drives me bonkers. What is the cartridge you speak of haha?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
All my rifles, except one, come from rummaging through the used racks at gun shops or gun shows. That is the fun part.
An older rifle that has not been used much in an a cartridge that interests me, that’s cheap. I will refinish the stock if necessary, clean it up, work up a load and then decide if I keep it or sell it and buy another project.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

For myself, it’s relatively easy. One rifle/cartridge for everything from Antelope/Whitetail, to most of the African Big Five. I haven’t made that African trip yet, and probably never will....but, it’s worked quite well for everything I’ve hunted in North America! memtb

Maybe it’s just me but a post like this drives me bonkers. What is the cartridge you speak of haha?

.375 AI.....my only “hunting” rifle since February of 1990. At 9 pounds 2 ounces (scoped/loaded/slung), it light enough for most any hunting situation....though sheep and Mountain Goats would be a little more challenging at my age. A few prairie dogs, fox, and coyotes, and a fare selection of big game have been taken with it. If I hadn’t bought a big pile of 250 TTSX’s (running 3160 mv) quite a while back.....I’d probably even suggest that I could use one bullet type/weight for everything. If Barnes will ever bring out a LRX in something around 290 to 300 grains....then I’d say one bullet for everything! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I try to pick a rifle that is the right tool for the intended task. Still-hunting in tight cover calls for a short, well balanced, fast handling rifle for jump shots. Longer ranges, a different format. etc., etc.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
This is how I picked my caliber. I started reloading in 1978 for the Ruger M77 270 Win. Did the best I could for the best accuracy. Then I traded for a different caliber and did the same thing and so on with other calibers. I did plenty of shooting and reloading. Then I started reloading for the 358 Win and the rest is history. This is the only caliber I settled on. I have a Rem 600 Gloss Blue, Rem 700 Gloss Blue and a Rem Model 7 stainless all in 358 Win. I don't need any other caliber for deer, moose or black bear. I do have other calibers such as a 700 222 Rem Mag for coyote and several 223's both bolt and AR's. I also have a Ruger Mini 30 which I used in up-state NY for deer in an apple orchard. I've shot plenty of deer with other calibers. Some calibers that I reloaded for are : 30/06, 35Whelen, 35Rem, 30/30, 243, 7mm08, 444, 45/70 and there are a few more. Just to let you know that some of these calibers were tack drivers. But for some reason I just fell in love with the 358 Win and I like the bolt action.

Ken

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

.375 AI.....my only “hunting” rifle since February of 1990. At 9 pounds 2 ounces (scoped/loaded/slung), it light enough for most any hunting situation....though sheep and Mountain Goats would be a little more challenging at my age. A few prairie dogs, fox, and coyotes, and a fare selection of big game have been taken with it. If I hadn’t bought a big pile of 250 TTSX’s (running 3160 mv) quite a while back.....I’d probably even suggest that I could use one bullet type/weight for everything. If Barnes will ever bring out a LRX in something around 290 to 300 grains....then I’d say one bullet for everything! wink memtb

What would you not hunt with a 250 TTSX? Surely nothing in N.A. you wouldn’t hunt with that?
There are times I’ve thought about having a 375 H&H for everything. It’s my favorite cartridge although I don’t own one.

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 02/20/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How it feels in the hand and which ever one feels like it has the luck. My 6 Creed Kimber gets toted the most.

Last edited by AKduck; 02/20/21.

Yup.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (6mmCreedmoor, artur, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 1,500 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,397
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.