Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Those bombs killed a whole whole whole lot of Innocent people

Women, children, elderly people who did nothing wrong. And killed people from radiation induced cancer and illnesses for years after.

Those bombs though, saved more lives than could be imagined by helping to end the war. I read once that people stopped and looked at the devastation caused by those bombs, and began to realize how brutal war was. They took blinders off after that. I forget the exact number, but it was the largest loss of human life in less than 5 or 7 seconds I believe. Crazy isn’t it

We might call most of the victims "innocents", but in reality Japan had armed the adults, including the women, to kill as many Americans as possible. I would venture that the bombs saved many more Japanese lives than they took. the Japanese were prepared to fight to the death.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
My uncle was a P.O.W. of the Japanese....after reading and hearing about the treatment the POWs received I haven't felt a twinge of compassion for those who died under Fat Man and Little Boy.

The Japanese worked hard to earn what they got from those two bombs.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The two atom bombs did nothing more than we had been doing every night to Japan for many weeks. Curtiss LeMay was systematically leveling the nation of Japan, one city at a time. The incendiary bombing campaign of city after city was killing as many Japanese every night as the atom bombs did.

The only difference was that it only took one plane and one bomb to do the job.

Many, many things contributed to the Japanese surrender. The knowledge that Russia was almost knocking on their back door encouraged many of the Japanese to wish to surrender to the USA before the Russians got there.

So, were the atom bombs inhumane? No, no more so than any other part of the bombing campaigns over Japan and Germany.

Were the two atom bombs actually necessary? Yes, I believe they were. They were the straw that broke the camel's back among the hard line Japanese generals who wanted to fight to the last child standing and the last grain of rice.

Only ignorant people try to single out Hiroshima and Nagasaki as some horrendous act of cruelty toward "innocent men, women and children," simply because of the nuclear aspect of the bomb.

The ruins of Dresden, 1945.

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
My first cousin piloted a B-52 from Viet Nam until right around Desert Storm. He flew conventional weapons until post-Viet Nam, transitioning to nukes while flying for SAC.

One thing that stuck with him, he always said, was how small the bomb really is that he had aboard. That huge bomb bay...one bomb in it. He told me it was roughly 7-8 feet long and a little less than 3 feet in diameter. I saw the shell of that type bomb on display at an air museum one time and he was right. It’s a tiny thing compared to its lethality.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
My uncle was a P.O.W. of the Japanese....after reading and hearing about the treatment the POWs received I haven't felt a twinge of compassion for those who died under Fat Man and Little Boy.

The Japanese worked hard to earn what they got from those two bombs.

Ask the citizens of Nan King if there was anything inhumane about our use of the atom bombs.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Drop one on the Chi Coms

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad was on the Japanese islands in combat until he got sick with malaria, got shipped to Australian hospital, recovered and shipped back to Phillipines base waiting to go on the Japanese mainland invasion when they dropped the bomb........I know it killed alot of people but and invasion would have been just as bad or worse as far as loss of life.......the right choice was made. It was war.

Last edited by AZmark; 02/17/21.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Had one uncle fly figher bomber off of carriers for the Marines in WWII bombing islands before they invaded. He crop dusted after the war for awhile. This uncle was with some Australians who bragged about cutting the heads off Japanese soldiers.

Had another uncle that was a tail gunner on a B-17. He got the flu before one mission and his replacement tail gunner got killed.

My dad was a mechanic in the 3rd Army under Patton. He was in England, France, Luxembourg, Germany and Czechoslovakia. Lost his friend in the relief of Bastogne, told mom his face was blown off. He never watched a war movie, but would watch cowboys and indians. If the family was watching a war movie, when the shelling and gunfire started, he would go outside and smoke cigarettes.

I just wish I would have talked to them more about what they did in WWII.

My grandfather on my mother's side was a security guard in WWI in the army, and was a state prison guard in WWII.

Last edited by Dixie_Dude; 02/17/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amazing how few know anything about what we did in Dresden.

Nasty horrible. To innocents.

Except, there are no "innocents" in that kind of industrial warfare.

Not to go on a tangent, but I get dam mad at people judging others
in the past. Using the here and now.

Yesterday's hero killed people.
Today he is a criminal for slugging someone.

Rules and circumstances change.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

The two atom bombs did nothing more than we had been doing every night to Japan for many weeks. Curtiss LeMay was systematically leveling the nation of Japan, one city at a time. The incendiary bombing campaign of city after city was killing as many Japanese every night as the atom bombs did.

LeMay was quoted after the war as saying that if the Japanese had won, he’d have been tried, convicted, and executed as a war criminal.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

LeMay was quoted after the war as saying that if the Japanese had won, he’d have been tried, convicted, and executed as a war criminal.

P

It is good to be on the right side of history.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

The only difference was that it only took one plane and one bomb to do the job.

Many, many things contributed to the Japanese surrender. The knowledge that Russia was almost knocking on their back door encouraged many of the Japanese to wish to surrender to the USA before the Russians got there.

So, were the atom bombs inhumane? No, no more so than any other part of the bombing campaigns over Japan and Germany.

Were the two atom bombs actually necessary? Yes, I believe they were. They were the straw that broke the camel's back among the hard line Japanese generals who wanted to fight to the last child standing and the last grain of rice.

Only ignorant people try to single out Hiroshima and Nagasaki as some horrendous act of cruelty toward "innocent men, women and children," simply because of the nuclear aspect of the bomb.

The ruins of Dresden, 1945.

[Linked Image]

I think the revised death toll was around 25,000 for the Dresden bombing raids. I think it gets the attention it gets because it was a beautiful city, and the point if the bombing was to choke the area with refugees and convince yhe civillians the war was completely lost.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

Yet we had a policy of not going after any but the very top officers... and worst offenders...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My dad passed away on 10/7/2020 at 96 and 4 months to the day. A veteran of WW 2 in the US Army he was on a troop ship in the Pacific headed for the staging area for the invasion of the home islands when they dropped the bombs and ended the war. Never saw my dad really pissef off until one day when some liberal know it all was running off at the mouth about why we should have never done that. My dad gave him a piece of his mind in his mid 70's. I am not ignorant of the ramifications of the US dropping the bombs, dad said the US command figured 50% casualty rate on 1 million plus in the invasion with a Japanese casualty rate as high or higher. The bombs were the least costly way to go in human loss for both sides. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My Dad used to shoot trap with Paul Tibbets pilot of the Enola Gay when I was a kid. I didn’t realize the significance of who he was until I was older. The B29 “Bocks Car”, that dropped the Nagasaki bomb is at the Air Force museum in Dayton Ohio.

Ron

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Those bombs killed a whole whole whole lot of Innocent people

Women, children, elderly people who did nothing wrong. And killed people from radiation induced cancer and illnesses for years after.

Those bombs though, saved more lives than could be imagined by helping to end the war. I read once that people stopped and looked at the devastation caused by those bombs, and began to realize how brutal war was. They took blinders off after that. I forget the exact number, but it was the largest loss of human life in less than 5 or 7 seconds I believe. Crazy isn’t it

I share your sentiment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I knew an old fella who was in the Army Air Corps in WWII and he had nothing good to say about them. Plenty of bad things, though.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My dad served in the Philippines during WW2. He was only 18 when he got drafted.
In 1955, when I was 6, on Saturdays, I would ride along with him when he delivered fresh meat to corner grocery stores around Kansas City.
One day he pulled over on the side of a residential street, he pointed at a small white haired man mowing his tiny front yard with a push mower. My Dad told me that guy was the reason I was alive—wasn’t until many years later that I even knew what he was talking about.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The white haired man was actually in Independence, right?

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After the Bataan death march they got what they deserved.

Dean

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,317
Posts18,487,330
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.