Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hello y'all! My FIL recently passed and, being that I have been out of the firearms hobby for some time, I could sure use some help Identifying this!

Yes, It's a no.4, but has almost no markings! My FIL took it upon himself (ahem) to refinish the stock, despite my repeated statements to not do so. Thus, all that great info is now wiped/sanded away, and yes, I am aware it hurts the value. Caliber is .303 & there isn't alot of finish there, and the bore is dark, but the grooves are there and it actually shoots rather well. It's fitted with an El Paso Weaver K6 and standard crosshairs he took several deer with it using field rests etc.at ranges slightly exceeding 100yds.

But enough about that. he would have gotten this in the early to mid 2000's, so even though it's .303 I am thinking this came from India? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, any rough ballpark idea as to value would be doubly appreciated, and thanks for looking!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by iambrb; 02/17/21.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is it drilled and tapped for that scope mount? That would be the real value killer. The stock looks like it could be brought back to a proper appearance.

iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No, the scope mount there is one of those "no gunsmithing" type that goes between the front ring and the charger bridge

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I could be wrong but I think the AK serial number on the magazine indicates English wartime manufacture by BSA. Of course, no way to know if the magazine and rest of the rifle match.

iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The finish appears to match but I swear I thought this thing was from India. at the time, he was getting monthly mailers from SOG or one of the likes, saw it, and got a local shop to order it for him. I have the 'other' gun he got at that time, which was one of the Ishapore .308s, and yep, I'm keeping that puppy. Just trying to get background info on this one.

Last edited by iambrb; 02/17/21.

_
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not an expert but it looks like a Long Branch (Canadian) to me.

Last edited by night_owl; 02/17/21.

abusus non tollit usum
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F

iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey Thanks!

_
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The cocking piece is marked Savage, but the screw through the forearm looks like an Indian treatment. Look at the left side of the receiver in brightr sunlight at different angles and you might be able to make out some of the scrubbed markings.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
By the rear crossbolt, it's a #4 mk2, either Brit or a possibility of Paki made. I'm voting Brit due to the almost illegible "1954" or " /54" on the left receiver side. That year was during Brit production, before they sent the machinery etc to Pakistan.
The Indian crossbolt is a head scratcher however.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,771
Posts18,515,595
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.