Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dess
I'm more likely to quit a bad manager than a bad job.

That is the main reason people quit their jobs. It's not the reason they give because they don't want to burn their bridges.

"Sorry to see Joe leave for a better opportunity, he was a good worker". No, he left because you, the boss, are an a-hole.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Dess
I'm more likely to quit a bad manager than a bad job.

Exactly why I took early retirement from corrections. Didn’t have a problem with dealing with inmates. It was the evil, corrupt, superintendent whose only qualifications for the job were a gigantic set of bolt ons. No transfer opportunities so took early retirement and went into oilfield security. Ended up making more money and loved the job. She was livid that I would take early retirement. I was one of the few supervisors with any long term experience and it left her with a lot of new inexperienced supervisors. She swore I’d come crawling back. Never did.

I could be happy pumping portapotties if I had a good boss.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My friend worked in a circus circumcising elephants.....He said the pay was small but the TIPS were big...........:) sorry, I had to.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I spent the summer loading hay bales in Washington state. 95 pound bales of alfalfa. My helper and I put a thousand of them in the barn in a day, working 12 hours.
Each bale is lifted 3 times. Hard to imagine a worse job than that.

I bucked bales on my Cousins farm every summer for about 5 years in Ellensburg. After work I would be fishing several ponds stuffed full of Rainbow trout and blasting away Muskrats with a shotgun....fun times!!

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dock worker for Roadway was one hell of a [bleep] job.

Also with for a company that made fiberglass shower stalls in Adelanto CA.

For a three month span I walked the perimeter fence picking up trash at The Barstow California dump. Found a dead guy once. Walked up on him and immediately knew he was deceased. It looked almost as if he were taking a break laying down hands resting on his chest, and then there was the obvious bullet entry hole wound to the side of the head and the blow out on the other side. It freaked the illegal workers out and the all left and went home.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The first company I worked for serviced all the Purdue chicken processing, rendering plants.

We had guys that couldn't get past the parking lots.

That rendering plant smelled something fierce bad and the flies were something to behold.

We were bought out by another company and lost Mr. Purdue's business, one of the few good things that came from the buyout.

I ended up working a couple of nuclear power plants, the best job I had in the whole 40 years fixing chit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I knew a dude who worked at the zoo in Tyler, Texas. And his job was to use a hammer and chisel to chip off the calcified rhinoceros urine from the cinderblock wall in the indoor part of their pen where they’d piss on it.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by antlers
I knew a dude who worked at the zoo in Tyler, Texas. And his job was to use a hammer and chisel to chip off the calcified rhinoceros urine from the cinderblock wall in the indoor part of their pen where they’d piss on it.

Damn, we may have a winner......

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I've been working in the water and waste water business for over 35 years, I can tell you pulling used condoms, and white mice ( tampons) out of the impellor of a clogged sewage pump is no way to spend Christmas day. But it has kept food on the table and a roof over my head.

Last edited by dm1559; 02/17/21. Reason: spelling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably the veterinarian.
Up to both shoulders using a cable saw to cut a dead set of twins out
of a cow.

I found it on a Monday morning, saw a bloated purple head sticking out.

Pretty sure the weekend guy hadn't checked them, and it had been that
way since saturday.

They were working in a stall in the barn.

I was stacking hay in the hay mow, and gagging.

Did I spell the place for hay right?
Spent 10 minutes searching and couldn't find it?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A refinery job can suck having fought three fires in two let alone a number of "simpler" crises. The chitt drove me. My youngest, 22, is helping sort steam failures, hydrogen loss and leaking hydrocarbon lines in the countries largest refinery at this moment. He's loving it as did I.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Unloaded folded salted cowhides off of box cars at a tannery my senior year. Knee deep maggots all night long

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Adam Corolla had a radio show 15 years ago.
He asked for callers to come up with the worst job experience ever.

A fireman called up saying his first day task on his new job was to go into a home and retrieve a dead body.
It stunk so bad, he puked twice before finding the body.
The body was a fat black woman fallen forward.
The dog had eaten parts of her.
He had to throw away all of his clothes except his boots.

The next few callers, Adam would yell at them, "HOW CAN YOU CALL ME WITH THAT LAME STORY?.... AFTER THE FIREMAN?"

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Shearer.

You get fucked over, fucked around, and fucked royally.

And at the end of the shed you are just fucked.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any poor sap that is required to work in a cubicle.

Most of the “worst” listed sound like any Tuesday on a farm.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the first jobs I had was cleanup in the basement of a sawmill in Lewiston Idaho. Many years later I worked as a water and wastewater operator. The wastewater side sucked but was better than sawmill cleanup.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bucked haybails as a kid, did some roofing, and awful fiberglass work thrown in there. For years i worked underground as a hardrock miner. A good deal of it in awful dangerous ground alone in complete darkeness in small spaces. Some of it was in larger workings but it varied from time to tjme. Some locatikns i worked were actually cold or moderate in temp but ive been in places where the rock temp is 130-140* and 90% humidity. They piped or ventilated chilled air to those work places so you would be able tonwithstand working there. Not a very good job

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For me law enforcement, luckily I am at the end of my career. Currently, only about 2/3 of the public likes us, but that is situation dependent. Make a what is deemed a bad decision my options are, death, administrative firing, indictment/prison and last civil judgments. Recruiting is nil and people are leaving to do safer jobs if they can. We just lost a guy with 18 years on that left to become a plumber! Your 911 response will be worse and worse, so just try to hold on and, good luck !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Backroads
Any poor sap that is required to work in a cubicle.

Most of the “worst” listed sound like any Tuesday on a farm.

I started as a Boeing engineer in 1977. There were 500 desks crammed together in each 1/3 acre room. The only more crowded seating is in a theater.

At smaller companies I was sharing at two to a cubicle from 1982 to 1984.

Finally, my own cubicle by 1985. I could sleep under my desk like George Costanza.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ringworm
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by ringworm
They guy that pumps grease traps has it pretty bad

Worse than septic tanks?

DF

Ever smelled a dead human?
Septic tanks are appetite building by comparison.

Two of my brothers are retired cops.
They tell some horrible dead body stories.
One old guy died on his kitchen floor in the middle of summer.
Neighbors complained of a bad smell and said they had not seen him in about 2 weeks.
My little brother goes for a wellness check....gets to the front door and the smell hits him like a punch in the face.
Flies are packed all around the cracks of the front door.
He covers his face and opens the door.
An ocean of maggots are crawlng from the kitchen onto the living room carpet.
He looks on the kitchen floor and this old guy was melting juices in a pool around his undulating corpse.
Maggots pouring from his eyes, nose and mouth.
My brother ran from the house gagging from the stench.
Had to race home, shower are change clothes.
Horrible.
Says he still gets gaggy thinking about it.

Proud NRA Life Member
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,484 guests, and 825 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.