Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Yeah, I didn't really look at the pic before I posted it. That's a bunny.

You got big enough wabbit gun, or do we need to get elk up there to take care of business?

grin

DF

I think the .375 Wby with 300gr Partitions might work. But, if it's this bunny, I might want the AR10 or perhaps the 12 gauge:

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Wow.

No wonder elk uses heavy ordinance on dem vicious, flesh eating wabbits. .

And agree with a fast shooting, long mag. 12 ga, once they got close...

Man... Hope I don't dream about those terrible wabbits tonite.... shocked

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WAM
Rabbit tracks? WTF?

Is this in reference to my post or 'Hawk's "Elk in the winter" post?

I am guessing it is in reference to mine and if so, do these look like anything other than tracks from the bunny living under that shed?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
It's a bunny. Was posting a bunch of pics of my property. Had taken a pick of the cabin when approaching it in feet feet of snow. I had taken a lot of pics of elk tracks on the property over the last six years. I posted that one without really paying attention. It's bunny tracks. Wasn't paying enough attention to each pic I posted. Sue me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can read thank you, and saw your response to my question (15798127) after Pointer brought it back up a few posts ago. My "Elk in April" comment was not addressed, but that's OK.

Since you couldn't figure it out, in my last post (15803201) I was asking WAM for clarification about about his post (15798578).

Babysteps for the Jarhead.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I can read thank you, and saw your response to my question (15798127) after Pointer brought it back up a few posts ago. My "Elk in April" comment was not addressed, but that's OK.

Since you couldn't figure it out, in my last post (15803201) I was asking WAM for clarification about about his post (15798578).

Babysteps for the Jarhead.

No, I can figure out what you're doing. It's a nasty assault. I'm also smarter than you and can figure out that WAM was sure that it was a bunny, rather than an elk, which was the point of his post, and which anyone with an IQ higher than 60 could figure out.

Anyway, that's my property, and it has elk, cats, deer, and bunnies on it.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Also squirrels, coyotes, and a lot of birds -- occasionally some people.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, you couldn't figure that out which is why you responded to my question to WAM and said "sue me".
I don't know about an assault, but I was kind of a dick, no doubt. It isn't like you haven't been one the last week or so.

WAM has posted some pretty off the wall stuff and while I was pretty damn sure I knew the answer I was kind of looking forward to what else he would come up with as a response.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
No, you couldn't figure that out which is why you responded to my question to WAM and said "sue me".
I don't know about an assault, but I was kind of a dick, no doubt. It isn't like you haven't been one the last week or so.

WAM has posted some pretty off the wall stuff and while I was pretty damn sure I knew the answer I was kind of looking forward to what else he would come up with as a response.

Okay, Have a good night T Inman. Though I'm not sure to whom I've been a dick in the last week or so. Maybe I've forgotten. Perhaps you can explain.

Point from me is that there are a bunch of interesting animals on my property.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

My point was just wondering how bunny tracks could be confused with elk prints. Nothing more.

Exactly what “pretty off the wall stuff” are you referring to? GFY in advance. LOL!

Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WAM
My point was just wondering how bunny tracks could be confused with elk prints. Nothing more.

Pretty easy to see the point of your post, which was a fair comment.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Beautiful property and interesting thread.

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Okay, Have a good night T Inman. Though I'm not sure to whom I've been a dick in the last week or so. Maybe I've forgotten. Perhaps you can explain.

Point from me is that there are a bunch of interesting animals on my property.

It's all good. One of the instances was in the Weatherby thread, but no biggie. Have a good one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WAM

Exactly what “pretty off the wall stuff” are you referring to? GFY in advance. LOL!

Happy Trails

I can't really even remember now, though one I believe was about TTSXs.
There are also times that I just like to stir the pot. You all should know that by now.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular

It's all good. One of the instances was in the Weatherby thread, but no biggie. Have a good one.

Thanks. You too Inman. But, in all fairness, in the Weatherby thread, I just disagreed that the nine-lug format produced inaccurate results. I didn’t disparage anyone or call them names. Don’t think that’s the same as you calling me that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well if you want to get back into the argument that's fine. I suspect you're referring to my 2/10/2021 post in the Weatherby thread. Your post that I am referring to is below, and it wasn't specific to the 6 or 9 lugs Weatherby's only, though I did emphasize the "especially" part. I totally feel justified in calling this an unprovoked "dick" response, but I really don't have an issue with people being that way. No skin off my back. Rock on.
If I actually cared I'd go to the trouble to find a few more of your somewhat recent dick posts but in all honesty, I don't care.

I've only had a couple Weatherby's, MK Vs and Vanguards though I wasn't really impressed with either model. They're respectable rifles and mine were plenty accurate enough for most situations, but I felt they were overrated for what they were, the 6/9 lug MK V action especially.

Yeah, you know it. I can't stand the terrible 100 yd accuracy I get from my MkV 340 Accumark. The thing is complete crap. Good call.

Have a good evening.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Okay, glad you don't have thin skin. I did suggest that my .340 Wby was fairly accurate, which was completely being a dick.

Hope you have a good morning.

It's my older son's 17th BDay. Gotta wrap the presents before otherwise being relatively productive for my firm. Fed the squirrels already. I used to use one of those squirrel-proof feeders for the birds, but the little furry guys were so clever in countering that technology that I decided that they deserve a snack and just started just throwing the food on the ground. Unfortunately for them, I sometimes am just indirectly feeding this one Red Shouldered Hawk who occasionally eats one of them after they have been fattened up.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
To all you smart people here, riddle me this:

So, partly for reasons I expressed here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ly-hendershots-specifically#Post15827400, I ordered some Hendershot’s 6.5-300 ammo loaded with 127gr LRXs, supposedly at roughly the same muzzle velocity as Wby (3,500 fps). I’ll see about that tomorrow.

The Hendershot’s cartridges, like the one on the left below, have the bullets seated just a bit further out than the Wby-loaded 127s.

However, the Wby-loaded bullets, like the one on the right, have a ring cut into them just forward of the case neck. This is peculiar to me for a couple of reasons. One, the HS-loaded bullets don’t have that ring forward of the cases, and you can see a bit more of the bullets on the HS ammo.

Second, the Barnes website pic of that specific 6.5 mm bullet shows the most forward ring, I think, further back than the ones on the Wby-loaded bullet:

What gives? Did Wby modify the 127gr LRX bullets before loading them? Or is something else going on?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To all you smart people here, riddle me this:

So, partly for reasons I expressed here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ly-hendershots-specifically#Post15827400, I ordered some Hendershot’s 6.5-300 ammo loaded with 127gr LRXs, supposedly at roughly the same muzzle velocity as Wby (3,500 fps). I’ll see about that tomorrow.

The Hendershot’s cartridges, like the one on the left below, have the bullets seated just a bit further out than the Wby-loaded 127s.

However, the Wby-loaded bullets, like the one on the right, have a ring cut into them just forward of the case neck. This is peculiar to me for a couple of reasons. One, the HS-loaded bullets don’t have that ring forward of the cases, and you can see a bit more of the bullets on the HS ammo.

Second, the Barnes website pic of that specific 6.5 mm bullet shows the most forward ring, I think, further back than the ones on the Wby-loaded bullet:

What gives? Did Wby modify the 127gr LRX bullets before loading them? Or is something else going on?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

I don’t have the answer but I helped a buddy setup his 6.5-300 last year with that same ammo and am pretty sure there was no groove visible. I wasn’t 100% so went and looked at a couple pics of weatherby loaded 127s and didn’t find any that looked like the one in your pic either?

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....weatherby-127-grain-barnes-lrx-20-rounds

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DeadHead

I don’t have the answer but I helped a buddy setup his 6.5-300 last year with that same ammo and am pretty sure there was no groove visible. I wasn’t 100% so went and looked at a couple pics of weatherby loaded 127s and didn’t find any that looked like the one in your pic either?

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....weatherby-127-grain-barnes-lrx-20-rounds

Thanks for going to the trouble, DeadHead.

That is interesting. I have three boxes remaining of the Wby-loaded 127gr LRXs. All the cartridges in the box from which I pulled the one in the pic all have the groove. None of the bullets in the other two boxes of Wby-loaded 127s have the groove.

I wonder, as to the rounds in the offending box, whether Wby may accidentally have loaded 120gr TTSXs in them, which look like this:

Either way, it's strange to me. The three boxes all have the same product numbers printed on them. However, the offending box has a slightly different bar code on it than the other two. So, maybe it's from a different batch. I just wonder how those grooves got there. I'll chrono both types tomorrow. If the grooved ones are faster, maybe they are 120s.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (3333vl, 470Evans, 257 mag, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 1,949 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,497
Posts18,472,188
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.