-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Japs were also training millions of civilians to fight. They had plenty of bodies to spare. They had no guns, though, just pitch forks, sticks, and other hand tools. They were going to be used for mass suicide attacks to try to overrun our troops by sheer numbers. Think about being in a unit of 1000 men. You're attacked by 30 to 40,000 in a mass charge. You can't reload and shoot fast enough to stop them before you're overrun and beaten to death.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To strike decisively against the Japanese, without the loss of American life, to bring the war to an end, the choice was obvious.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Jerryv
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
My Dad used to shoot trap with Paul Tibbets pilot of the Enola Gay when I was a kid. I didn’t realize the significance of who he was until I was older. The B29 “Bocks Car”, that dropped the Nagasaki bomb is at the Air Force museum in Dayton Ohio.

Ron

Ron

The Enola Gay is hanging in the Air and Space Museum near Dulles airport. The most awesome museum I have ever been in.

Jerry

And they will be torn down and scrapped out in the name of political correctness by a mob of Asian Lives Matter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by shaman
The Nagasaki bomb used a mass of Plutonium of about 6.5 Kg. However, what actually was converted from Mass to Energy was somewhat less than 1 Gram. The rest was just detritus.

Think of that: a mass of 1/3 of a penny did all that.

You have more knowledge than I. Do you know what happens to that 6.5 kilos of Plutonium? As I understand, the most poisonous element known to man.

Just part of the radioactive dust cloud?

Yep. As I understand it, the rest of the bomb vaporizes.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
My uncle was a P.O.W. of the Japanese....after reading and hearing about the treatment the POWs received I haven't felt a twinge of compassion for those who died under Fat Man and Little Boy.

One of my former bosses was a survivor of the Bataan Death March. A kind and spiritual man, but didn't have anything good to say about his captors.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Well, when all was said and done, you could at least stroll along the pier in Oahu on a Sunday morning without being burned to death by evil people.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jerryv

The Enola Gay is hanging in the Air and Space Museum near Dulles airport. The most awesome museum I have ever been in.

Jerry

That museum alone is worth a trip to DC.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The Nagasaki bomb used a mass of Plutonium of about 6.5 Kg. However, what actually was converted from Mass to Energy was somewhat less than 1 Gram. The rest was just detritus.

Think of that: a mass of 1/3 of a penny did all that.

You have more knowledge than I. Do you know what happens to that 6.5 kilos of Plutonium? As I understand, the most poisonous element known to man.

Just part of the radioactive dust cloud?

Yep. As I understand it, the rest of the bomb vaporizes.

I gets dispersed with the rest of the bomb materials. It is not a significant contributor to the radiological hazard from fallout.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by duck911
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

The two atom bombs did nothing more than we had been doing every night to Japan for many weeks. Curtiss LeMay was systematically leveling the nation of Japan, one city at a time. The incendiary bombing campaign of city after city was killing as many Japanese every night as the atom bombs did.

LeMay was quoted after the war as saying that if the Japanese had won, he’d have been tried, convicted, and executed as a war criminal.

P

It is good to be on the right side of history.

It's even better for your side if you can write it. Even re-write it. We are seeing that now in our own internal politics. Winner take all.

Last edited by las; 02/18/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The Japs were also training millions of civilians to fight. They had plenty of bodies to spare. They had no guns, though, just pitch forks, sticks, and other hand tools. They were going to be used for mass suicide attacks to try to overrun our troops by sheer numbers. Think about being in a unit of 1000 men. You're attacked by 30 to 40,000 in a mass charge. You can't reload and shoot fast enough to stop them before you're overrun and beaten to death.

Actually the Chinese did this in Korea and it didn't go well for them with mass charges into fixed positions. Semiautomatic rifles, full auto BAR's belt fed air & water cooled machine guns and artillery with proximity fuses caused horrendous casualties for the Chinese troops. The banzai charges by armed Japanese troops were repulsed later on in the Pacific campaign and I don't think that massed charges by civilians armed with spears and pitchforks would have ended differently. Add in armor support and close air support with airplanes using 50 caliber machineguns and napalm and it would have been very gruesome. Americans would have suffered heavy casualties but the outcome would still be the same. Take a look at how the Soviet tanks and troops tore through Japanese forces in Manchuria in August of 1945.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I just finished the book "Twilight of the Gods" great series about the Pacific war.Even after the second bomb the Japan's army almost had a coup to keep fighting.I think an estimate of a million allied lives would have been sacrificed is pretty conservative.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The bombs ended the war and that was a good thing for the U.S. However, since then we rebuild japan for them and apologized 400 times to them for using the big hammer. Those two events opened the door to a nuclear deterrent that many countries have today. But, I do not regret the use of those bombs for a single minute.Right tool, right job. right time. Statement was made and entire world heard it!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Was the second bomb fusion or fission? Is it true that the Physicists were not sure if they were going to
be able to control the reaction, and possibly incinerate the planet?

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Both of the atomic bombs that were used against Japan were fission weapons. There was talk among some (likely jokingly) that the explosion would ignite the atmosphere.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ar15a292f

Actually the Chinese did this in Korea and it didn't go well for them with mass charges into fixed positions. Semiautomatic rifles, full auto BAR's belt fed air & water cooled machine guns and artillery with proximity fuses caused horrendous casualties for the Chinese troops. The banzai charges by armed Japanese troops were repulsed later on in the Pacific campaign and I don't think that massed charges by civilians armed with spears and pitchforks would have ended differently. Add in armor support and close air support with airplanes using 50 caliber machineguns and napalm and it would have been very gruesome. Americans would have suffered heavy casualties but the outcome would still be the same. Take a look at how the Soviet tanks and troops tore through Japanese forces in Manchuria in August of 1945.

Most of what the Japanese did with infantry in WWII was horribly inefficient and ineffective. Take Guadacanal, and leave off the Banzai charges. One of their favorite tactics was to take a few highly motivated soldiers in the dead of night and try to infiltrate our positions. They might have a grenade or just a trench knife. It scared the piss out of everyone but most of these infiltrators were killed by our guys before they caused any harm. It was mostly a senseless waste. Another was jungle ambushes. They were good at setting them up, but they got to be fairly predictable. We also quickly figured out that once contact was made, we'd just fall back a bit and either lob mortar or automatic weapons in. They might get one or two casualties inflicted, but we'd bag the whole lot.

Another thing I picked up from reading a memoir of an infantry sniper at Guadacanal was that the Marines pulled out before the real killing started. The Japs had no clue how to respond to artillery, and wherever and whenever we could, we'd make contact with the Japs and then soak the area with Arty. I'm not trying to throw shade on the Marines, but it was the Army that did the bulk of the actual killing. They had the tools for wholesale slaughter.

Another thing to consider is that the US learned from all its mistakes. We generally improved our way of doing things over the course of the conflict. We responded to our own weaknesses and worked them out before the next landing. Japan did not have that. They'd been fighting us for years, sending horribly ill-supplied, woefully small numbers at us and when it all fell in on them, everyone would commit suicide and the process would repeat. At no time was there any commander limping back to tell his superiors "Hey, guys! We really screwed the pooch on this last one. Here's what we need to do next time."

Last edited by shaman; 02/18/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
Both of the atomic bombs that were used against Japan were fission weapons. There was talk among some (likely jokingly) that the explosion would ignite the atmosphere.

It wasn't a joke. They were dead serious:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/bethe-teller-trinity-and-the-end-of-earth/

Well, at least some of them weren't treating it as a joke.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I believe I recall reading that the US was close to being out of money to continue prosecuting
the war, and this played heavy in the decision making as well. Sounds ridiculous given how they
operate these days, but I think cash was beginning to be a bit of a concern in 1945.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A comparison of a mass attack by Jap troops or civilians might be found in the battle Rorke's Drift in So. Africa in 1876. 3 to 4,000 Zulu's armed with spears tried a mass attack on a British fort defended by about 150 soldiers with muzzle loaders. Discipline won the battle for the Brits. Even with flinters, they were able to hold off the attack by maintaining a steady rate of aimed fire directly into the faces of the attackers. You can imagine the fear experienced by the Brits but they held their ground and won.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A comparison of a mass attack by Jap troops or civilians might be found in the battle Rorke's Drift in So. Africa in 1876. 3 to 4,000 Zulu's armed with spears tried a mass attack on a British fort defended by about 150 soldiers with muzzle loaders. Discipline won the battle for the Brits. Even with flinters, they were able to hold off the attack by maintaining a steady rate of aimed fire directly into the faces of the attackers. You can imagine the fear experienced by the Brits but they held their ground and won.

1) They weren't flintlocks Muzzleloaders. They were Martini Henry rifles with brass cartridges.
2) In an invasion of Japan we would have taken the place of the Zulu. We would be attacking well defended positions. A well-defended position has about a 3 to 1 advantage over the attackers.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ar15a292f

A friend showed me photos he took at Iwo Jima (IIRC) with literally hundreds of Japanese bodies from a Banzai attack. Amazing photos.

Retired cat herder.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, akrange, 16 invisible), 1,621 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,941
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.