W
laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Seriously, it seems I recall that Midway atoll was dependent on desalinized seawater.
As has been stated, sailors must have gotten along drinking it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Regular water also contains a certain level of allowable levels of contaminants....and it is not rare to find pharmaceuticals from people flushing medications into the water system...distilled water should have none. We receive most of our minerals from the food we eat...which in itself may contain pesticides and agricultural contaminants.....distilled isn't going to hurt you.

laissez les bons temps rouler
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by OldHat
Rainwater is distilled water.

I may be wrong

But evaporation, sublimation, condensation is not distillation

Distillation necessitates heating water to Kelvin: 373.2 K
Celsius: 100ºC
Fahrenheit: 212ºF

That doesn’t occur in the normal rain cycle.

You can get those temps in nature but it would volcanic or other extreme heat. But then, that’s just a boiling off. Capturing it and recondensing it would be distillation. Hence, a “still” with manipulation and control.

Yes, Slummy, you are incorrect.

Distillation occurs when a compound or element enters the gaseous state and is then reconverted to a liquid state and collected.

(Gold can be collected via Mercury distillation)

And no, heated distillation does not guarantee a pure product. Even though ethanol has a higher vapor pressure than water. When boiling the mash, you still get 5% water in the distillate, as well as many other contaminants including traces of methanol.

Vapor pressure of water is high enough that it will enter the gaseous state at temperatures below freezing.

When condensation forms on the outside of your iced tea glass, or in our case the outside coils of our heat pump at 20 degrees F this morning, that is distilled water.

Even the boiling point can be manipulated significantly by changing atmospheric pressure.

When condensing syrups or juices, they are heated in a closed chamber until the top of the chamber is filled with steam. Cooling coils at the top condense the steam back to water, which lowers atmospheric pressure inside the vessel, and thus depresses the boiling point.⁰

Products are condensed in this manner to prevent scorching of the product and to make the process more energy efficient.

I spent many years working in a lab with both distilled and deionized water on tap. We often filled a cup with de-I water for consumption. It is harmless.

Distilled/deionized water is acidic. Very. Very weakly acidic, because water naturally has a low pH. Distilled/deionized water has no buffering ability. The slightest contaminant will cause massive pH swings. Even the absorption of Cabon Dioxide will depress pH further as Carbonic Acid is formed.

But there are lots of buffering agents present in the human body.

I use RO water in my aquarium. I have to keep a few limestone rocks in the aquarium to prevent pH swings into the acid range which can be lethal to aquarium livestock. Calcium Carbonate is a strong buffer.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Some ‘distilled’ water is only deionized.

Healthy, natural water has a bond angle of 104.5 degrees.

I think when get to jacking around with ultra distillation, i vaguely recall the bond angle widening. Was some back and forth on that altered water not being good for cells in your body and blood cells.

Been 15 years since Gen Chem and the young phD talking about this. May be junk science. Was a hallway conversation anyway.

Happy Camper, you got anything on this? Help me out.

I get my water out a slab of limestone and we pump it through a reverse osmosis. None of this debate makes a poot to me. The goodyear blimp could crash into the WTP over in town, wouldnt be no sweat offa muh sack

It makes sense slummy.
With distilled there is nothing to interfere in the "matrix" of water molecules...
No stray attractions/repelling forces...
But for some reason 110-degrees is floating around in my head...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I looked it up, whiskey contains phosphorus, zinc and iron. As an added bonus it also has thiamine (B1) and niacin (B3) and makes you feel warmer..

We know that ice can be found right nearby.

How has no-one mentioned this yet?

No argument intended, just thought experiment.

How does the zinc, iron, phosphorous, thiamine, and niacin make it out of the boiling pot and into the condensate to be included in the whiskey?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
That’s all the local store has left.

No risk, whatsoever. Any minerals, or salts that were removed will be easily replaced by your diet.

Grandpa fought Fascists in WWII, Dad fought Communists in Vietnam. - American is meant for the middle.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by shaman
Distilled water is okay. KYHillChick has been running a distiller since her cancer surgery in 2018. She was put on distilled water by her nutritionist.

Yes, I'd always heard distilled water is bad, that it sucks minerals out of your body. However, if you're doing it short term there is no problem. KYHillChick takes a bunch of supplements every day, partly to put back what the distilled water might take out.

Rainwater is a whole 'nuther matter. It too is safe, but it's got stuff in it. One thing I know of for sure is oxygen. My water system at the farm runs off rainwater. I had to replace the pump after 3 years, because the water ate the steel impeller. I put in a pump with a plastic impeller, and it's been good for over 15 years. Rainwater also absorbs all the air pollutants. Where I am out in the sticks, it's fine. However, I would not want to drink rain from just downwind of Cincinnati.

Yes, pure water is commonly known as "hungry water". It is low pH, acidic. Just a trace of buffering compound such as any carbonate will change that characteristic drastically.

Purified water does not "strip" the body of essential elements. It just does not add any.

Hard water will precipitate elements onto an ice cube tray. If you drink that water, you are consuming those elements.

Much of the water bottled in the US for consumption is RO water. It is remineralized before sale, not specifically for nutritional purposes, but for palatability.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
Distilled water is okay. KYHillChick has been running a distiller since her cancer surgery in 2018. She was put on distilled water by her nutritionist.

Yes, I'd always heard distilled water is bad, that it sucks minerals out of your body. However, if you're doing it short term there is no problem. KYHillChick takes a bunch of supplements every day, partly to put back what the distilled water might take out.

Rainwater is a whole 'nuther matter. It too is safe, but it's got stuff in it. One thing I know of for sure is oxygen. My water system at the farm runs off rainwater. I had to replace the pump after 3 years, because the water ate the steel impeller. I put in a pump with a plastic impeller, and it's been good for over 15 years. Rainwater also absorbs all the air pollutants. Where I am out in the sticks, it's fine. However, I would not want to drink rain from just downwind of Cincinnati.

Shaman, that sounds like electrolysis from a current leak.(bad dock wiring in marinas)
Do a search for "stray current corrosion of boat propellers."
Stx may know about it. It eats sacrificial zines like nobody's business then gos on to propellers, shafts and rudders.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by burrinho

No risk, whatsoever. Any minerals, or salts that were removed will be easily replaced by your diet.

Thank you.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I think a person could live off of beer only, for many years.

I think that was actually done in history in certain regions.

And it showed.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I think that was actually done in history in certain regions.

And it showed.

As I recall, it was done because water freezes, while beer doesn't. So beer is available for drinking while water is not.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

The only downside I can see is that you won't have anything to mix
with your Prestone, top off your batts, or fill wifey's iron.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

yes, you can, beer and beef.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Seriously, it seems I recall that Midway atoll was dependent on desalinized seawater.
As has been stated, sailors must have gotten along drinking it.
In the days of sails, a lot of sailors got by drinking rain water. Granted, it would have been far less polluted way out there in the ocean.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 22kHornet, 007FJ, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 52 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,345
Posts18,506,187
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.