Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So I know this topic has been hashed around a bit but after reading lots of information, and having invested in the twin-torch case rotator unit and fiddling with timing, what am I really going to gain? Has anyone tested case-life expectations with and without annealing using the same load in the same rifle?

I guess I’m trying to look thru the hype and fastidious tasking that really doesn’t really provide much benefit to those that aren’t benchrest competitors or generally find tedium rewarding as a personal trait both of which are cool but not what I’m trying to analyze.

If I missed too many classes and there is something that I should know - by all means share.

Tim

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 02/18/21.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do not anneal to extend my case life although that might be a benefit, I do it to get uniformity in my neck tension and shoulder bump.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I made a test years ago. I used the same 20 rounds of 30-06 brass from fresh to the 8th loading and started suffering neck splits. After that, I started annealing-- usually after 4-5 loadings. I have not had a neck split since-- going on 15 years.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pullit
I do not anneal to extend my case life although that might be a benefit, I do it to get uniformity in my neck tension and shoulder bump.

This. ^
Extended brass life is a secondary benefit.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Shaman, sounds like you are able to resurrect older brass then as well?

Shaman & pullit do you both use propane or other methods?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by pullit

This. ^
Extended brass life is a secondary benefit.

This

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Love the unanimity - guess I did miss a class & glad that I asked. Thanks all!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
So I know this topic has been hashed around a bit but after reading lots of information, and having invested in the twin-torch case rotator unit and fiddling with timing, what am I really going to gain? Has anyone tested case-life expectations with and without annealing using the same load in the same rifle?

I guess I’m trying to look thru the hype and fastidious tasking that really doesn’t really provide much benefit to those that aren’t benchrest competitors or generally find tedium rewarding as a personal trait both of which are cool but not what I’m trying to analyze.

If I missed too many classes and there is something that I should know - by all means share.

Tim

This could be the perfect time for you to do a test. 20 pieces of brass from the same lot. File a small notch into the rim of 10 for ID. Anneal the notched cases & dont anneal the other 10. Fire for effect. A relatively small sampling but still better than saying that you read it on the internet so it must be true.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watch Eric Cortina on Youtube

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
6 seconds in the propane and drop in a pan.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
358WCF - great idea plus it would be fun & yeah first hand knowledge holds way, way more water.

Ready on the Right - I subscribed to Eric Cortinas YouTube channel a while ago - watched his annealing video where he tests several parameters even with what he considered over-cooked cases. Pretty cool. His ‘don’t chase the lands’ vid was informative as well.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would say at least double the number of loads and with good brass like Lapua and mild loads then triple the number. If shooting very hot loads and primer pockets are going at five or six loadings then no point in annealing. I use the candle method except I use a small Bunsen burner instead. I over did one batch with the torch looking for a color change. The torch like propane lighters work well as they generate less heat than a full size torch. On expensive brass I don't mind the extra step it appeals to my frugal side.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I did a long test on this subject 10 years ago....

10 pieces of Range Pick Up 223 brass, Remington head stamp....

Powder and Charge 12.5 grains of Blue Dot

Bullets: bulk package of 55 grain FMJ, bought back when a 1,000 of them cost me $35,00

Rifle: Remington 700 ADL

Loading procedure... Neck sized each time Lee Collet neck sizing die
...shoulder bumped back with body die when needed, Redding Body die.., needed down about every 8th shot...

Annealing : Propane tank, with Plumber's Torch on an extension... held directly into flame with directly into the neck opening.... 10 seconds ( count to 10, too long in retrospect) drop into small metal container about size of yogurt cup, let air cool...no water etc... used needle nose pliers to hand brass...
annealed ever 4th reload...

Time: over 3 to 4 months... load, go 2 miles from home, on Forest Service land, used a large pine tree for back stop....finally tree was knocked over by wind, and bullet damage at base... did same to a second pine tree, shooting eventually caused that one to fall over....

Casualties, 3 rounds... not failure of case... casualties were operator error at reload bench... still have the 7 surviving cases somewhere around here in plastic container that held soar cream from store...

Surviving cases were loaded 100 times to end experiment... have since been loaded 10 more times... same parameters..

Pressure on loads approximately 45,000 CUPs according to Quick Load, one member sent to me ....

now when I load my ammo, after reading a post by Scenar Shooter, I now anneal each reload....

right now, on what I've been working on, testing a 6.5 Grendal with Hornady brass, annealed each time.... test group of 10 cases have been reloaded 25 times so far and still going strong...and I don't think Hornady is that great of brass....Rifle used on this test, Ruger American Predator... 6.5 Grendal...

draw your own conclusions, but those are the results observed...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My method is to twirl the brass necks in a propane flame. When I start feeling the heat, I release the round into a pan of water. Mister Mule Deer says the latter is unnecessary, but I'm usually throwing the rounds in the vibratory cleaner to shine it up. Getting them wet is not a problem.

Is it case life? Consistent neck tension? I'll throw a third benefit in: It really makes sizing much easier. That is especially true when I'm doing something like knocking the queer out of 270 brass and turning it into 25-06, or going from 30-06 to 35 Whelen.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is especially true when I'm doing something like knocking the queer out of 270 brass and turning it into 25-06,...

I had to laugh at that one.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Yes I use a propane torch. I made a homemade version of an Anneal-EZ and use Tempilaq 750 to sent my speed of my motor. I anneal every time, it does not take long at all and my reloads are more consistent, groups are better with less fliers, SD, and SE are also down.
I will admit if I had it to do over again, I think I would just buy an Anneal-EZ or other brand and call it a day. Mine works fine but I have about $100 in it after buying the wrong motor plus about a day working on it, plus working out the bugs. I think the Anneal-EZ are around $300, so you be the judge.

Last edited by pullit; 02/19/21.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anneal or squeal, simple as that.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wow fellas! Great info & detail. Super glad I chose to get involved instead of lurking around.

Tim

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Any one have experience with this unit, the price is not bad? https://cartridgeanneal.com/Store.aspx Slow compared to an Annealeeze but 1/3rd the cost. Typically I do batches of 100 so speed is not a major issue for me.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think Aalf built one like that and has posted pictures of it. You might do a search on here and see. I think it was in the custom rifle section.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,151
Posts18,484,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.