-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Including some specifics I wasn’t aware of.....

https://www.historynet.com/skeleton...CBOLifMPDy8jWKT_7ACF43h58qXUxB48_P3erZHM

As to the specifics of the present-day Alamo, the good news is they are building a replica of the cannon emplacement complete with replica 18-pounder at the southwest corner of the original mission footprint, which is now all the way across the Alamo Plaza on the far side of the street. This was where Travis fired the opening cannon shot of the siege.

This is important because it stakes a claim to representing that this is an actual battlefield instead of the weapons-free “the fall of the Alamo was just one day in the hundred year history of a Spanish/indigenous mission” renovation plan that had originally been proposed.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This was interesting. Thanks for posting.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Why does the author call them "Texians"?

The way life should be.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Neat piece of history, thanks.

I got to visit the Alamo once. SA has lots of history.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bluefish
Why does the author call them "Texians"?

Google my friend: texians

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
One of my best vacations was to visit the Alamo. It did burst my image of the Alamo from the movies though! Glad they are restoring it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fascinating..... Thanks for posting. If I'm ever in that area the Alamo is on my "must see" list. Until I was in my mid 20's I had imagined it was still out in the boonies like in the movies. That was when I first talked to folks who had visited it.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I do not believe the term "Texican" was all that popular in its day. Tho it was used a bit. I believe it is more of a Hollywoodism.

Most All comtemporary accounts I’ve read use Texian

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of the defenders, 32 from Tennessee. I made mention to a group of legislators last week that in many contest re Liberty in the formative days of the Republic that called for blood to be the ink of check written, Tennessee had stood at the fore front, hence our moniker of The Volunteer State, (common misconception that it has something to do with the bunch of criminals trying to play football in Knoxville). Kings Mountain and the Over Mountain Men during the Revolution, Battle of Horseshoe Bend and Battle of New Orleans during the "War of 1812". The Alamo during the Texas Independence struggle.

Lest we forget, on to the Battle of Athens, (google that one).

I was trying too pump them up to stand in interposition to the Feds against the coming storm by raising the specter of Heroes past. To my chagrin none had heard of the first two or the last, a product of our public education system.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Overmountain men are some of my most respected fellows!!!

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Also Coffee’s and Carroll’s boys at Chalmette!!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/17/21.

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the update Mike!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Fascinating..... Thanks for posting. If I'm ever in that area the Alamo is on my "must see" list. Until I was in my mid 20's I had imagined it was still out in the boonies like in the movies. That was when I first talked to folks who had visited it.

You’ll really enjoy it. It’s a reverent and emotional place.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for posting this, Mike.
Worriedman, I fear that now, there are very few people left with the metal and fortitude of the Alamo garrison or the WW2 veterans who rescued themselves and their families from the petty tyrants of Athens.
After seeing this election stolen and doing nothing, I feel Like digging a hole, crawling in, and pulling the dirt in over me.
We no longer deserve the title of Americans.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Birdwatcher, thank you for that interesting link on the Alamo siege and non-survivors. Some of my relatives still live in Texas. They are proud to be Texians.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for putting that up. The Alamo was on our must see list the first time we visited SA. Just an eerie feeling standing in the Chapel. We have returned to the site a few times over the years and I am glad the restoration is moving forward in the manner outlined. Touring quite a few counties in Europe it is easy to see that important historical sites like the Alamo need to be kept intact.

Hugh
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by worriedman
Of the defenders, 32 from Tennessee. I made mention to a group of legislators last week that in many contest re Liberty in the formative days of the Republic that called for blood to be the ink of check written, Tennessee had stood at the fore front, hence our moniker of The Volunteer State, (common misconception that it has something to do with the bunch of criminals trying to play football in Knoxville). Kings Mountain and the Over Mountain Men during the Revolution, Battle of Horseshoe Bend and Battle of New Orleans during the "War of 1812". The Alamo during the Texas Independence struggle.

Lest we forget, on to the Battle of Athens, (google that one).

I was trying too pump them up to stand in interposition to the Feds against the coming storm by raising the specter of Heroes past. To my chagrin none had heard of the first two or the last, a product of our public education system.

Yep. some of my favorite Texans came from Tennessee, including my great grandfather.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a reason the wetback greasers of today still suffer incrimination from Santa Anna's antics.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
There is a reason the wetback greasers of today still suffer incrimination from Santa Anna's antics.

Amen brother

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (1234, 007FJ, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,415
Posts18,470,496
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.